IRAN U-17 @ 2017 FIFA U17 World Cup, India | Updates, Live Reports

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
Hindsight is 20/20. Chamanian had a choice to either take the fight to Spain or sit back and defend. He chose to defend and that turned out to be a huge strategic error for the first 60 minutes, because there was no way we were going to score any goals with that strategy. He had the players playing deep lying defense against the best passing team in tournament, and I don't think Iran had even a single shot while the team was using that strategy. When Iran started pressing in the 60th minute we actually had a chance. If you look at it as two separate games. The game played from 60-90 minutes where Iran attacked actually finished 1-1, even though Spain missed some open nets. It's too bad Delphi missed the game, we really could have used him on the attack. We lost to a very very good opponent, so there's no shame, and the boys did a great job.

Btw, Irans final tournament ranking is fifth place https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_FIFA_U-17_World_Cup Scroll to final ranking after the match results.

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
Sayyad Iran's best player beside Delfi in tournament. Taha in defense was good as well.
Ghadiri, Esmailizadeh (i think that's his name), karimi and the captain were pretty good as well. Inshallah, they get signed by some european clubs so they can develop into real players.

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Hindsight is 20/20. Chamanian had a choice to either take the fight to Spain or sit back and defend. He chose to defend and that turned out to be a huge strategic error for the first 60 minutes, because there was no way we were going to score any goals with that strategy. He had the players playing deep lying defense against the best passing team in tournament, and I don't think Iran had even a single shot while the team was using that strategy. When Iran started pressing in the 60th minute we actually had a chance. If you look at it as two separate games. The game played from 60-90 minutes where Iran attacked actually finished 1-1, even though Spain missed some open nets. It's too bad Delphi missed the game, we really could have used him on the attack. We lost to a very very good opponent, so there's no shame, and the boys did a great job.

Btw, Irans final tournament ranking is fifth place https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_FIFA_U-17_World_Cup Scroll to final ranking after the match results.
Iran played the same strategy the entire tournament and paid off up until today when they faced Spain. That strategy works when you have two Strong forwards who can hold on to the ball till rest of the team catches up. But today, we missed Delfi and Sayyad (9) was all alone up front against 3 Spanish defenders. Both Delfi and Sayyad playing up front makes Iran very lethal on counters as they each can hold the ball really well and we simply did not have that luxury today or else it would have been a much better performance by Iran.

All in all a very impressive run by Iran but winning tournaments like this is not easy and requires more work both Physically and Technically.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2002
Today they lost the midfielder and it wasn't only about missing their best player in Delfi, they wanted to play CQ's counter attack against Spain and it didn't work, no strategy on counter and were just sending long balls without any plan. I was a bit dissapointed knowing the potential of this team which managed to beat Germany 4-0, Costa Rica 3-0, Guniea 2-0, France 4-0(in friendly), and Mexcio twice(3-0 friendly and 2-1 in round of 16). Spain was much better team but we respected them too much.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Today they lost the midfielder and it wasn't only about missing their best player in Delfi, they wanted to play CQ's counter attack against Spain and it didn't work, no strategy on counter and were just sending long balls without any plan. I was a bit dissapointed knowing the potential of this team which managed to beat Germany 4-0, Costa Rica 3-0, Guniea 2-0, France 4-0(in friendly), and Mexcio twice(3-0 friendly and 2-1 in round of 16). Spain was much better team but we respected them too much.
I agree ,they didn't show the same mentality as they did before ,one thing I am not sure about its our level of fitness against theirs , if we could have pressed them fast and hard and speed things up from the start and last the whole game then that's what we should have done otherwise we gave them too much respect and space and they were really good and composed with their offence ,worked our goalie well and scored 3 goals and missed some as well ,their timing on the ball was better than our lads and that obviously coming from players of top Spanish clubs who are cream of their age group and it showed on the pitch .

Oct 18, 2010
iran was scared by the name of spain.they did not press them in their
half at all in the first 45 minutes.in the second half they started pressing
a little and spain started making mistakes but the second goal killed it.
they should have pressed from the start.i don't know why they decided
to sit back and just go for long balls from the back.they basically gave
up the midfield to spain and took our #10 out of the game completely.
and spain #9 must be at least 20 years old.

Dr.shark

Football Fan
Oct 15, 2004
Toronto
shekarche is another good payer from this team that also was on the u-20 team that we had just lose in group stages and he was the one scoring for us on that team and I think he also had scored for us on this team too. if these kids keep this up they have a chance at signing up contracts and getting picked up by European clubs and that would be the best thing for the future of our TM as they will have access to better coaching and improve their game level so that we can have another golden age of football once again this time a golden age that can take us to the semis and maybe the finals of both world cup and Asian cup.

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
Iran played the same strategy the entire tournament and paid off up until today when they faced Spain. That strategy works when you have two Strong forwards who can hold on to the ball till rest of the team catches up. But today, we missed Delfi and Sayyad (9) was all alone up front against 3 Spanish defenders. Both Delfi and Sayyad playing up front makes Iran very lethal on counters as they each can hold the ball really well and we simply did not have that luxury today or else it would have been a much better performance by Iran.

All in all a very impressive run by Iran but winning tournaments like this is not easy and requires more work both Physically and Technically.
If you look at all the previous games you will notice that without a shadow of a doubt, they did not include ali askhari style lobbing of the ball up the field. In the previous games Iran played a much better ground passing game. For that reason I disagree with your assessment.

Ali N.

Aug 3, 2004
Too bad Iran was lost in the 1st half against Spain yesterday, other than that, I think this Iran team had potentials of going further in this tournament... not sure if the number of games they played in 10 days was the cause or the strength of Spain's team, but overall it was a good WC for Iran.

Nov 24, 2002
Mali was a strong side and lost to Spain 1-3, i think our boy did a great job overall(except the last match).

Oct 18, 2010
england have now won both u19 & u17 fifa world cups.
they should be a force in the 2022 wc unless they are like
iran and let the players get wasted.