Iranian History and Geography Quiz

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
I'm going to start this thread hoping it will compete with" Just came in" and hopefully contribute and add to our general knowledge of beloved homeland.

I will set the first brick and all your contribution will be highly appreciated.

Here we go:

What is this contraption you see in the picture below? Who made it? When? Where is it located? and what was it used for?

What part of Iran Iranian Crocodile is located? What river, lake or sea? What name this type of crocodile is known around the world?

Attachments

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
I'm just taking a very wild guess here Mr. A to get things rolling... Is it a canon stand? It looks like the top of a fort or something from 19th century judging by the brick, but I think I'm WAY off!

As far as crocodiles, you need water, relative warm weather and good plantation (marshes), so southern Sistan is the only place I can think of that fits the bill. I don't think the Caspian shore would be warm enough for our prehistoric friends.

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
I'm just taking a very wild guess here Mr. A to get things rolling... Is it a canon stand? It looks like the top of a fort or something from 19th century judging by the brick, but I think I'm WAY off!

As far as crocodiles, you need water, relative warm weather and good plantation (marshes), so southern Sistan is the only place I can think of that fits the bill. I don't think the Caspian shore would be warm enough for those guys.
Sarbaz River in sistan

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209

As far as crocodiles, you need water, relative warm weather and good plantation (marshes), so southern Sistan is the only place I can think of that fits the bill. I don't think the Caspian shore would be warm enough for our prehistoric friends.
Mr. G

"I think I'm way off" is correct..... :D

Hint: Try about 3000 years earlier. Also in a fort is correct.

South Eastern Sistan is correct as well but there are 5 more answers remaining.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Motori jan isnt this monument in Chogha Zanbil ?

چغازنبيل‎
Aghaa Faribourz, vaasseh haminene keh damet inghadr garmeh......hats off to you Aghaa zendeh baashi.

Although you might have to share the Crown with Iranpaak since he mention the "Ziggurat Chogaa Zanbil" when we were talking on the phone this evening. Bravo.........

Aghaa Faribourz, vaasseh haminene keh damet inghadr garmeh......hats off to you Aghaa zendeh baashi.

Although you might have to share the Crown with Iranpaak since he mention the "Ziggurat Chogaa Zanbil" when we were talking on the phone this evening. Bravo.........

Ma Chakereem but I have no idea what this is use for . looking forward to it

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
If it's from 3300 years ago, the only reason I can think of that you would put a circular platform on the roof of a building would be to use it either as a sun dial or for religious sacrifices. Since we didn't have the latter, is it a sun dial?!

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
If it's from 3300 years ago, the only reason I can think of that you would put a circular platform on the roof of a building would be to use it either as a sun dial or for religious sacrifices. Since we didn't have the latter, is it a sun dial?!
Mr. G

Sun Dial is correct. Also the top story of Choghaa Zanbeel was used for conducting religious rituals. So you are correct on both account.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
OK, let’s talk about the first quiz, finalize it and move on to the next.

What you see in the pic. (Believe it or not) is a “Sun Clock” used for determining the time of the day.It was built and located inside Choghaa Zanbeel (Zanbil) (زیگورات چگا زنبیل ) ziggurat in north west Khouzestan about 30 km southeast of ancient city of Shoosh. It is a square building with 105 meters length and width and 52 meters height build entirely with bricks.

The Choghaa Zanbeel fortress is one of the most fascinating ancient structures of Iran and sadly it is not as famous as Apaadaanaa Palace in Takht e Jamsheed. According to all the inscriptions and texts written on the bricks it was built by Iilaamyaan dynasty about 1300 years b.c. Those bricks look so fresh and undisturbed like they have been restored recently but that is not true, the reason for their preserved condition is that the whole Fortress was completely buried under the sand and dirt for millennia until it was discovered and excavated by archeologists in 20th century.

As you know, invention of brick is among the greatest contributions of Iranians to the world civilization and this Ziggurat is entirely built with bricks. Majority of the bricks have writings and drawings on them which all the details of texts and inscriptions have been perfectly preserved by being buried under dirt and sand for so long. This fortress has perfectly engineered rain water collection and purification as well as sewer systems.

You owe yourself a trip visiting this marvel of ancient Iranian engineering next time you are in Iran.

Few pix of Choghaa Zanbeel:

ch16.jpg

ch17.jpg

ch33.jpg

ch35.jpg

ch36.jpg

ch5.jpg

Rain water collection and directing canal.

ch34.jpg

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Iranian Crocodile is called "Mugger Crocodile". Although known for timidity but still in 2003 a 12 years old boy was attacked and killed by a crock. Those crocks can grow as big as 5 meters long. That is longer than a Zaamyaad pick up truck.

Oct 20, 2003
Agha Rasoul, Ravayt hast ke ye Shushtari whose house was on the city wall or near it, in exchange for less kharraAge, khiyanat kard o let the Arabs open tunnels so they could enter the city. The city had impenetrable borj o baro .
ChAk

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Agha Rasoul, Ravayt hast ke ye Shushtari whose house was on the city wall or near it, in exchange for less kharraAge, khiyanat kard o let the Arabs open tunnels so they could enter the city. The city had impenetrable borj o baro .
ChAk
Amir AghA

First of it is always great to see your checking the board and hitting "saree beh doostan".

2nd you are absolutely correct.

This khAe'n had sneaked out of the fortress at darkness of the night and had his condition and contract set with Abu Moosa Ashar (zinhaar gereft....lol)i, then took one of the arab low level commanders inside the city and dressed him like one of his servants, they both walked throughout the city even they went in front of Gov.palace so he could scan and survey ithe infrastructure then next night sneaked back out into arab camp and discussed all the intelligence info with his commanders. Arab army ambushed the city while knowing the same khAe'n would keep the gate unsecured for them. Unfortunately arabs kept their promise and didn't kill that pos.

I got this from the book "2 Gharn Sokoot" by Zarrinkoob who references this info to Tabaree and 2 other history books.

Safar jAn,

There is new rule in this thread which stipulates that who ever comes with the correct answer should post the next quiz. Your turn.