Iranian oil tanker burns, 32 people missing after collision off China’s

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
[FONT=&quot][h=1]Iranian oil tanker burns, 32 people missing after collision off China’s coast[/h]by REUTERS and ASSOCIATED PRESS

[*]

[*]
Tweet

[*]
[*]
Email
[*]
Print
[/LIST]

A tanker carrying Iranian oil and run by the country's top oil shipping operator was ablaze and spewing cargo into the East China Sea on Sunday after colliding with a Chinese bulk ship, leaving its 32 crew members missing, the Chinese government said.
Thick clouds of dark smoke could be seen billowing out of the Sanchi tanker , engulfing the vessel as rescue efforts were hampered by bad weather and fire on and around the ship, officials said. China, South Korea and the U.S. sent ships and planes to search for the 30 Iranians and two Bangladeshis who have been missing since the collision late Saturday.
The Panama-registered tanker collided with the CF Crystal about 160 nautical miles off the coast near Shanghai on Saturday evening, the Transportation Ministry said in statement Sunday.
The Panamanian-flagged tanker Sanchi in flames after a collision with a cargo ship at sea on Sunday. South Korean Coast Guard / AFP - Getty Images
It was sailing from Iran to South Korea, carrying 136,000 tonnes of condensate, an ultra light crude. That's equivalent to just under 1 million barrels worth around $60 million based on current global crude oil prices.
"Sanchi is floating and burning as of now. There is an oil slick and we are pushing forward with rescue efforts," the ministry said, adding it had dispatched four rescue ships and three cleaning boats to the site.
South Korea has also sent a ship and helicopter to help.
The tanker's 32 crew members were all Iranian nationals except for two Bangladeshi nationals, the Chinese transport ministry said.
All 21 members of the Crystal's crew — all Chinese nationals — were rescued, the ministry said.
It wasn't immediately clear what caused the collision.
The incident marked the first major maritime incident involving an Iranian tanker since the lifting of international sanctions on Iran in January 2016.

[/FONT]

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
at this point I would be surprised if they find even the teeth records of the poor souls who were on board.

this thing has been burning for four days now.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Did this news just reach Iran?

I wake up today and everyone on instagram, telegram and facebook are saying "Tasliat" to each other. The hysteria is ridiculous. Suddenly everyone has an oil-tanker as their avatar or profile-picture.

Something very wrong with that country.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Did this news just reach Iran?

I wake up today and everyone on instagram, telegram and facebook are saying "Tasliat" to each other. The hysteria is ridiculous. Suddenly everyone has an oil-tanker as their avatar or profile-picture.

Something very wrong with that country.
if you think about it a good percentage of iranian social media users are from places like Tehran, Tabriz, isfahan, shiraz ..
they don't know anything or anybody about ships.

i guess they expected the ship to float in definitely. a great amount blame being attributed to the Chinese rescue team.

well the reality is when the structural integrity is low, you can't really take the risk to go down the stairs on that ship.

I am still wondering why the transponders of both ship were non-functional in the past 2 days.

Oct 1, 2004
Bichareha.
What a horrible way to go. They either drowned, choked or burnt! May they rest in peace.

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
I am still wondering why the transponders of both ship were non-functional in the past 2 days.
I am not surprised at all, as I am very experienced and actually know lots about the level of security maintenance and works around it.
Most of those people working onboard ships like this one cant even SPELL the word "maintenance", the maintenance level is uncanny and substandard as a hell onboard, believe me!
Poor fellas, dying like this....... they've been sacrificed by the owner of the shipping company only to earn a quite meaningless and small money in the context, I KNOW IT!

Bless their family and loved ones.
Rest In Peace

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Most of those people working onboard ships like this one cant even SPELL the word "maintenance", the maintenance level is uncanny and substandard as a hell onboard, believe me!
I can't dispute that or support it. however. it took nearly 6 days to get there.
but it just happens that both ships transponders were not sending heart beats for the last 2 days of the journey.

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
I can't dispute that or support it. however. it took nearly 6 days to get there.
but it just happens that both ships transponders were not sending heart beats for the last 2 days of the journey.
That was exactly what I was referring to, "maintenance", the equipments must PASS tests before journey starts and it's not allowed to move forward if the transponder or any vital equipment are out of the order, but either the shipping company nor people onboard acting prudent on such occasions.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
It was such a horrible accident..:( Feel so bad for those 32 crew and their families..

But its very odd that the tanker had Panama flag, and when Iranian Navy official was asked about it, he said "Its normal. like Chinese tankers carry Hong Kong flag." As if they are not the same country!!

Anyways, glad Japanese and Chinese were helping put off the fire abit, bc Iranian navy officials didnt do anything about those poor crew..:(

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
But its very odd that the tanker had Panama flag, and when Iranian Navy official was asked about it, he said "Its normal. like Chinese tankers carry Hong Kong flag." As if they are not the same country!!
very standard for commercial fleets. because by doing so you can use the laws of that country is which very optimized to register ships. better for insurance rates and underpaying your workforce and so on.
Anyways, glad Japanese and Chinese were helping put off the fire abit, bc Iranian navy officials didnt do anything about those poor crew..:(
Iran does not a blue water Navy. in fact neither does china, russia.

the only true blue water navy is the United States. and even at that most ships move 30km/hour. in maritime law any ship that passes by is responsible to help if they have the capability to do so.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
very standard for commercial fleets. because by doing so you can use the laws of that country is which very optimized to register ships. better for insurance rates and underpaying your workforce and so on.

Iran does not a blue water Navy. in fact neither does china, russia.

the only true blue water navy is the United States. and even at that most ships move 30km/hour. in maritime law any ship that passes by is responsible to help if they have the capability to do so.
Oh ok, good to know. Thanks for info. So eitherway, Iran couldnt and can never help out its crew if such incidents happen again?

Here is interesting video of one of slain engineer's wife, who has been on trips with oil tanker along with his husband before, and she takes issues with how suspecious Sanchi's fire was:

[video=youtube;ZRVscpjHjoU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRVscpjHjoU[/video]