Is Assad at the verge and what does his fall mean for Iran?!

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Every 2 weeks papers like the NYT regurgitate rumors and at times outright lies taken from pro Saudi papers and make it seem as if Assad is about to fall. He's not.
If anything I think their opposition is planning to negotiate with Assad.
Yeah I agree with you ...
Have you noticed that the coverage of Syria is so horrible ... It seems nobody is covering the story ... some story her and there ... even Aljazeera is not doing a good job

Silverton

National Team Player
Nov 6, 2004
None of those things existed in any of the Arab countries either IEI jaan. In fact, the Syrians are still lacking that cohesion and unity almost two years into this thing and with a civil war having emphasized the importance of a unified voice and opposition. Almost all of Egypt's political groups (with the exception of the Muslim Brotherhood), were formed after the revolution. I'm not saying these things will necessary happen in Iran or that the IR will fall within the next year (at least not for this reason), but these situations are very dynamic and I've continuously been surprised by how fast and unexpectedly alliances have been formed and populations mobilized in the fight against Tyranny. It would be tough to accept at this point that Iran would be an exception to the new rules.
Exactly. Add to the fact that if we want to go by history, Arabs have been very politically inactive when facing tyranny. Almost to the point of oblivion. Yet how many of their regimes fell the last 2-3 years?

I have faith the Iranians will kick out the neo-Safavid regime of IR, and setup a pluralistic society where everyone is free to believe what they want, both politically and religiously as long as no one is hurt.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Yeah I agree with you ...
Have you noticed that the coverage of Syria is so horrible ... It seems nobody is covering the story ... some story her and there ... even Aljazeera is not doing a good job
North American coverage of the news is not great, but Syria's receiving daily coverage in European and Middle Eastern media. Al Jazeera sometimes has 2-3 articles a day on Syria as do Reuters, Telegraph and Guardian. Lebanon Now (before they changed their format) had a special Syria Blog with news every couple of hours. Don't forget guys that foreign journalists are not allowed into Syria (unlike the Libya conflict), so video footage is very very scarce and so don't expect TV ad dependant outlets like CNN to dedicate too much time to the issue.

Hassan1980

Bench Warmer
Feb 17, 2008
Good summary of the last 2 days' events from Washington Post:

●The al-Jarrah air base, about 30 miles east of Aleppo, which appears to have been overrun by fighters from Ahrar al-Sham, a battalion based in Idlib. Videos posted Tuesday by the rebels showed them walking past derelict Syrian warplanes and inside a fortified hangar containing what appeared to be two Czech-built ground assault planes. On camera, the rebels displayed dozens of bombs racked in a warehouse, and other ammunition and spoils of war.

●The Thawra hydroelectric dam on the Euphrates, which is one of Syria’s biggest power-generating facilities. Rebel sources said the Syrian army gave up the strategic dam after army positions there were overrun. The rebels negotiated a surrender with regime loyalists who remained. These sources said the dam continues to operate and provide power — a positive sign for those who worry that Syria’s infrastructure would collapse if the rebels took over.

●The Aleppo International Airport, southeast of the city, is close to falling. Free Syrian Army sources said Tuesday that their fighters, including allies in the extremist al-Nusra Front, had captured an access point near the airport known as “Liwa 80.” Syrian sources said rebels there had seized large amounts of ammunition, including some shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missiles.

●Damascus and its suburbs, where the rebels are tightening their squeeze on access points to the capital. Syrian sources said fighters are converging on Damascus from different parts of the country, expecting a decisive battle there soon. “Regime forces are suffering from very low morale, whereas FSA soldiers have been encouraged by recent positive developments,” asserts one FSA report from Damascus.
Agha Bi Honar, with all the respect i have for you but i must tell you that this is all ''sher o ver''
I promise you, Assad will not fall, atleast not within the next 5 years. These stories about cavemen militias ''capturing'' airbases and weapon depots is just for the uneducated masse to keep them busy and entertain them. Jumhoriye eslami also will do anything to keep Al Asad in power. You have my word

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
I think in some cases the hate for IR, and in others the love for Obama has deterred some of you to see the big picture….that is where I come in!! Over the last 3-4 years three countries (Tunisia, Egypt, and Libya) have transitioned from Nationalist governments into Islamist control……and it seems to be now Syria’s turn to be handed over to Islamists.

take look at this map and see what the transitioned countries have in common?

Middle-East-001.jpg

Yes - they all border the Mediterranean. So what can we conclude? These are not eventual rise of populations seeking Democracy!! These movements are planned to gain control of the Sea borders – but Why? Is there a new war coming? Could it be related to newly proposed Natural Gas lines? Your guess is as good as mine – but one thing is for sure, Europe/England have come to trust the Saudis (maybe even out of fear), to the point that they may even endorse a Saudi headed Islamic caliphate comprising of all these countries, maybe even with the inclusion of Turkey and Pakistan. It is quiet plausible some idiots in BP (A British/Saudi conglomerate) sat around a table and decided to secure a Mediterranean ship/pipe-route…………………one way or another Iran stands to gain nothing and lose a lot with or without IR.

Silverton

National Team Player
Nov 6, 2004
They now have classes to show how the weapons work ... they are organizing real well.

[video=youtube;gZYbYvTMB_M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gZYbYvTMB_M[/video]

May 9, 2004
با لهجه لیبی صحبت می کنه :--confuse:
ولی اینطور که پیداست خیلی بد تمرین میده
این هم نتیجه اش

+18
[video=youtube;3GRLrZsHLBoSIZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRLrZsHLBoSIZE[/video]

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Rebels shot down two Syrian jets today!!!

This one in the "Idlib country side":

[video=youtube_share;kXuxAx7S_Q8]http://youtu.be/kXuxAx7S_Q8[/video]

And this one in Khan Shaykhun:

[video=youtube_share;AqOHM9QzyEM]http://youtu.be/AqOHM9QzyEM[/video]

artavile

IPL Player
Oct 18, 2002
MD, USA
To be honest with you guys, hearing "alahoakabar" under any circumstances whether on Tehran’s rooftop or Syrian country side just makes my noxious. That fricking Islamic slogan is always associated with misery and the shit that will bring to the very people that utter it. :RIP:

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
Exactly! I am not looking forward to seeing those guys in "office" either. There really ins't a substitute for the Big Red One marching along the First Armored Division rolling up Assad's palace and dragging him out of his basement. These characters in videos don't look like they'll be giving up their guns anytime soon.

May 9, 2004
Rebels shot down two Syrian jets today!!!

This one in the "Idlib country side":

[video=youtube_share;kXuxAx7S_Q8]http://youtu.be/kXuxAx7S_Q8[/video]

And this one in Khan Shaykhun:

[video=youtube_share;AqOHM9QzyEM]http://youtu.be/AqOHM9QzyEM[/video]
اینها میگفتند
تظاهرات ما بر علیه بشار مسلمت امیز است
الان دو تا دوتا هواپیما سرنگون میکنند
:--confuse

eerooni

Bench Warmer
Nov 9, 2002
Toronto
I would love to see Syria govt fall and then IRI!! this is my dream, but we need to look further and be smart and looking at this closely, it looks like the only beneficiary will be ISrael who will crush Hezbollah, usurp Lebanon and then get the guts and the balls to attack(i.e. BOMB!!) Iran!!! and if they bomb our country, they will not only kill innocent people, but alos weaken it to the point that other hungry vultures like russian, Turkey or others will get emboldened enough to either attack and settle old scores!! This scenario I donot want!! I rather have Assad in Power to check Israel and have people from within Iran demand and get change! Dont forget Israel, Gulf Arabs, Azerbaijan are Irans latent enemies, any sign of weakness and they will tear apart our nation!

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Syrian rebels attack presidential palace in Damascus

CBS News
February 19th, 2013

DAMASCUS, Syria Two mortars exploded near one of Syrian President Bashar Assad's palaces in Damascus on Tuesday but caused only material damage, Syria's state news service said. The attack was the first confirmed strike close to a presidential palace and another sign that the civil war is seeping into areas once considered safe and reaching closer to the heart of Assad's seat of power in the capital.

The news service, SANA, said "terrorists" fired the rounds that struck near the southern wall of the Tishreen palace in the capital's northwestern Muhajireen district. The government rebels to anti-government fighters as "terrorists." No casualties were reported and it was unclear whether Assad was in the palace. He has two others in the city. Assad often uses the Tishrin palace to receive dignitaries and as a guest house for foreign officials during their visits to Syria. His two other palaces are the People's Palace on Qasioun mountain overlooking the capital and Rawda palace in the central neighborhood of Abu Rummaneh.

For security reasons, Assad movements are shrouded in secrecy and it is unclear how much time he spends in any of the palaces. His public appearances have grown increasingly infrequent as the civil war has spread. The Syrian capital has largely been spared the violence that has left other Syrian cities in ruins. For weeks, however, rebels who have established footholds in the suburbs have been pushing closer to the heart of the city from the eastern and southern outskirts, clashing with government forces. Rebels have claimed to fire rockets at the presidential palaces before, but Tuesday's strike was the first confirmed by the government.