Is the iOs falling behind?

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Since the mrs uses iOs and I use Android. I am gradually getting frustrated with iOS.

I am staring to notice that in non-U.S markets apple lack of organic search is becoming a real issue.

Apple's entire strategy seems to be centered around Well to do place like North America and Europe.
There are good apps in these places.
But It just seems to me that paying a Un-godly amount of money for a phone and then paying highway robbery amounts for cloud storage
is gradually getting old. and yes the battery performance of iOS devices is still impressive; but does it make it worthwhile.

I feel like Google's scale is gradually taking over.

Some of this really pertains to search functionality.
I have been testing google Now in Farsi lately. It is not perfect but it works very well to a large degree.
on Android you can configure Google now to be in multiple languages. and it really kicks siri's ass.
you can search for things in Farsi or English and it can automatically tell. (needless to say the english one is massively superior)

so far google now on iOS does not seem to support that. but even if it did
because Mobile devices are basically a massive sandbox. it does not seem like you can have google now replace
siri integration with home button.

one annoying fact of using Apple iOs is the fact that farsi is presented as sub-locale of Arabic.
which makes their keyboard a really $hitty one.

Apple thus far has been successful with iphone/appletv/macos.
but as the network effect in the rest of world starts to fade will it hurt their North American dominance.

for the love of god, the AppleTV still does not support Amazon Video.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
iOS was NEVER ahead of Android in terms of features, where iOS shines is stability. Things I could do on my Android 3 years ago, slowly starting to make their way to iOS, HOWEVER, 3 years ago i had to deal with some bugs and issues, now the feature is stable and Apple brings it. If you are someone who enjoys the latest technology and is OK with dealing with some problems along the way, Android is your device, if you want stability but willing to live 2-3 years behind technology Apple is your device.

Both are great depending on who is going to use them.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
iOS was NEVER ahead of Android in terms of features, where iOS shines is stability. Things I could do on my Android 3 years ago, slowly starting to make their way to iOS, HOWEVER, 3 years ago i had to deal with some bugs and issues, now the feature is stable and Apple brings it. If you are someone who enjoys the latest technology and is OK with dealing with some problems along the way, Android is your device, if you want stability but willing to live 2-3 years behind technology Apple is your device.

Both are great depending on who is going to use them.
I also noticed that the technology is 2-3 years behind however, there is a trade off with everything. I am gong to compare it to OSX v Windows. The technology in Windows is better but it is much more frustrating to operate and you get more viruses on a window's based computer/notebook. You are going to pay more for that apple computer but you will have some stability and it will not break down on you. I had one macbook back in college and it lasted me for four years.

Later on, I gave it to a good friend, when he got into USC, Marshall School of Business for grad school. I think it really is a toss up between IOS and Android because of the issues Pooya and CM brought up and yes the lack of an organic search would bug the heck out of me as well. I did not know outside of North America, they had these problems. I am guessing then you are most likely somewhere in Europe is that right CM jan? You do not need to give me the specifics but I think you are there. I do not think you are in Asia, Africa or South America and I know you are not in North America because you mentioned that outside of NA, they have these issues. Sorry mate, I am just trying to play detective here.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
iOS has always been behind.

What Apple devices have always had going for them was the incredibly accurate touch-technology and the general stability of both the software and the hardware. Things just worked on Apple devices, while there was always a chance of shit going wrong on Android.

These days, I find myself rebooting Khanoom's iPhone 6 due to intermittent lock-ups and crashes. The searching on her iPhone is pretty much laughable compared to Google on Android. The maps, navigation and even apps like Facebook are completely inferior on the iPhone.

I don't know why people still buy Apple products. I really don't.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
iOS has always been behind.

What Apple devices have always had going for them was the incredibly accurate touch-technology and the general stability of both the software and the hardware. Things just worked on Apple devices, while there was always a chance of shit going wrong on Android.

These days, I find myself rebooting Khanoom's iPhone 6 due to intermittent lock-ups and crashes. The searching on her iPhone is pretty much laughable compared to Google on Android. The maps, navigation and even apps like Facebook are completely inferior on the iPhone.

I don't know why people still buy Apple products. I really don't.
There are two reasons.
#1-Apple is easier to operate so some people are just not as tech savvy as us. When I got a phone for my grandmother, I picked the I phone because it is easy for her to operate, I did not want to get her an android phone.
'
#2 reason is because tehy want to show off or they think it is a status symbol. For example, in India, people cannot even use the apps but they want the phone because it is such a status symbol. It is also good for those trendy hipster dbags(One caveat, I am not saying your khanom is like that).

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Since the mrs uses iOs and I use Android. I am gradually getting frustrated with iOS.

I am staring to notice that in non-U.S markets apple lack of organic search is becoming a real issue.

Apple's entire strategy seems to be centered around Well to do place like North America and Europe.
There are good apps in these places.
But It just seems to me that paying a Un-godly amount of money for a phone and then paying highway robbery amounts for cloud storage
is gradually getting old. and yes the battery performance of iOS devices is still impressive; but does it make it worthwhile.

I feel like Google's scale is gradually taking over.

Some of this really pertains to search functionality.
I have been testing google Now in Farsi lately. It is not perfect but it works very well to a large degree.
on Android you can configure Google now to be in multiple languages. and it really kicks siri's ass.
you can search for things in Farsi or English and it can automatically tell. (needless to say the english one is massively superior)

so far google now on iOS does not seem to support that. but even if it did
because Mobile devices are basically a massive sandbox. it does not seem like you can have google now replace
siri integration with home button.

one annoying fact of using Apple iOs is the fact that farsi is presented as sub-locale of Arabic.
which makes their keyboard a really $hitty one.

Apple thus far has been successful with iphone/appletv/macos.
but as the network effect in the rest of world starts to fade will it hurt their North American dominance.

for the love of god, the AppleTV still does not support Amazon Video.
Gradually take over LOL
Android has 2/3 of market and growing
However, both android and ios are mature platforms that will survive decades to come. The only question is that whether the mobile world will accept a third platform. The key success in Apple is that they build the processor and the operating system so consistently they can have good performance. Also, they have more control over the app market and don't allow shitty apps to publish. However, Android has bigger developer ecosystem and hence more creativity comes out of it.

Last edited:

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
The question I was raising was not the age-old one that oh the apple Camera is not as good as the latest Huawei Pg9 Lite.
or that it does not provide Storage Expansion. all those are valid criticisms but frankly not big enough to dissuade people from a product they deem very well constructed.

Yes iOS seems to experience more freezes these days (but it is not even about that.)

It is about integration with Machine Learning and deep cloud integration in the Android platform.

Nobody else has the reach that Google has on location based services (weather, map, traffic, business reviews, news, flight, train, prices on various things)

in fact if you could combine Microsoft, Yelp, Apple, TomTom, FlightRadar, Amazon, Reuters,Facebook) all in one place you might just getting close to
how much more real contextual data google has about the world.

"google now" will be able to eventually give you deep search results because it has all these services.
if you are in Iran and it knows you are English speaker, it can pull up youtube account on PressTV
and they have already algorithms that scan the news Videos.
so you could be sitting in a lobby of hotel in Tehran, and you can say "Tell me about the Iranian Elections Polls"

Google has a ton of meta data on the backend with youtube videos, (possible sound cloud), and websites as always.
it can very possibly actually give you an answer not just a series of search Results in a browser.

Google has so much data around flights and trains,.. it can possibly map you entire itinerary for you. it can tell you
when you get off a flight in JFK that your next flight is calling for last boarding call.
it can tell you possibly that you are in Seattle 3 days and you should buy the weekly pass instead of daily pass.

if Microsoft was not so behind on Apps on Windows Phone, I would have said the only company that had a real chance to compete at this point would have been Microsoft.

I think as location services improve and google provides more and more contextual data about all of the world, apple will fall more and more behind.
unless they give on location services and provide a way to make google or maybe Microsoft their location based service provider.

by the Way Android has about 80-85% of the world Market.