Japan stars to be benched ?

Oct 19, 2002
TOKYO - In a surprise move, national coach of Japan, Zico announced that he will not be starting with his European-based players in the 2006 FIFA World Cup qualification match against North Korea on 9 February at the Saitama stadium.

Japan had called up two of their foreign-based players – Shunsuke Nakamura from Reggina FC and Naohiro Takahara who is playing for Hamburg. Both players are expected to join the squad by tomorrow.

Even though both players are traveling a long way, Zico will not guarantee a first eleven appearance. “I don’t think I will use the two foreign-based players as starting members for the match. I think those who played against Syria did very well for us. So, if no one is injured, I will start with the same eleven who played then,” Zico said.

The coach added, “In my two years here, I have always said that no one is guaranteed of a first eleven.”

Takahara who left for Japan yesterday was hoping otherwise. He said, “If I don’t play, there will be no point of me traveling to Japan.”

Meanwhile, fans had started to line-up at the Saitama stadium since 4th February in order to get a good seat for the match. Although most seats are numbered, the seats behind the goal post are based on first come first serve basis.