Just came back from Iran

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
The economy situation becomes more visible when you get to see working class and under. I was at the orthopedist and this limping patient was talking to the secretary and she tells him it will be 150.000 toman. The guy says I don't have it. The secretary says that's how much it costs you need to have it. The guy yells I don't have it! I'm just a worker, I don't get paid enough to have that kind of money. The secretary goes: Calm down sir! Your leg has to get plastered! If you don't have money for it, you need to go down to the pharmacy and return all those medicines you have in your plastic bag and then you can go to a governmental hospital and get it done there. But your leg HAS to be plastered!

Of course upon seeing the scene, I couldn't sit down anymore and had to go there and pay for the guy. Right there another woman in her late 30's was complaining that she broke her knee when she was 21 but then the pain was over and she didn't care. Now she couldn't walk out of pain and when she went to a doctor close to her home, he told her she had to get a surgery. Of course she didn't have enough money for it so the doctor just told her: then go and die (in that very tone).

Seeing these scenes are truly depressing but having said that, I really didn't see any differences in the life style of people in the middle class and over. Everyone complains as usual but at the end of the day, they were living their lives normally, going to work, going on trips, etc. as usual. In fact, to my surprise I saw a lot of smile and polite manners from the people in the streets. Everyone from strangers to khodi were very warm and in general I saw a much better atmosphere compared to let's say, 8 years ago. and most important of all, I didn't see any sign what so ever that IR were gonna leave any time soon. In fact, just the other way around.

So much talk about money losing it's value etc. yet you see lots and lots of new huge buildings being built, including a gigantic shopping center outside Tehran which they claim is supposed to become the biggest shopping center in the world. Around it you see many new sky scrapers being built and in general, you can not see that this is a country in a vast economical crisis.

An interesting thing for me was to see that women were having comparatively more social freedom. Just as few years back, you could see women without veils in their cars only in higher quantity. This time around, you could see a minority losing their veils in malls, in doctors' waiting rooms and while sitting on riding motor cycles. I did not see any sign of the usual gasht and police, chasing boys and girls. Young people were freely having "patogh" until late at night in coffee shops and restaurants, freely holding hands, etc.

Last but not least everyone was desperate to leave Iran one way or another!

Last edited:
I really didn't see any differences in the life style of people in the middle class and over

Hmmm, I stopped reading after I saw this. The issue is that there is no middle class left in that society, I mean scientifically there can't be. Middle class means you and your wife are both employed and can make a good living including an average car, an average house ( most likely mortgaged ) and can still save and make a trip or two a year. I leave a kid out of this scenario. I don't think this is feasible in today's Iran situation unless you know assume the middle class differently. you realize as of yesterday If you make under 5,000,000 Toman then you're under the poverty line. now tell me how much a teacher or a bank employee makes

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
kar kareh inglisihast ba nokaran vatani.. They're circulating rumors now that kish is being considred for rent to chinese/russians/Brits.

re: government hospitals in original post, they're also known as slaughter houses.

It is just the tip of the i eberg. Fuck whoever responsible az sar ta tah.

Sometimes you have to be in that age range to feel the pain.. from your other posts and a sense of not being in touch I gather you're much too younger to understand first hand; not an insult but just the way it is.

Middle class is losing jobs because of sanctions, for example engineers at auto shops/factories.... hows that for an example.. but it will take them months or maybe over a year to realize they need to get a car and sell teddy bears off the street (fresh walnut, zogal akhteh and gojeh are the other options)
as I know couples who both are PhD and done so.

In Iran unlike west you cant' grab loans easy and it would be a shame to go to parents and ask for money.

I sense they're propping Iran to take advantage of super cheap labor once it joins the international market which prolly be a favor for us too.

Sly said:
I really didn't see any differences in the life style of people in the middle class and over

Last edited:

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
That has got to be one of the worst trip reports and analysis I have read Slyjan! LOL! I know you typed it in a rush and had a lot more to say, so I won't pick on you much.

As far as people's lifestyles not having changed, you are very wrong. Even the very rich people in Iran are no longer able to afford their extravagant luxuries of just 6 months ago. This is a fact dictated by the money cycle. Construction of a few malls and people being warm/friendly on streets has nothing to do with how poor Iranians as a nation have become.

As for I.R leaving or staying, 'irrelevant' is the single word that comes to mind immediately.

The bottom line is, Iran has become a poor country. The new phase of struggle will cause many shifts, migrations and massive social unrest in the near future. This is inevitable.

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
This video says it all..........

http://fa.nasrtv.com/modules/video/singlefile.php?lid=13505

Hmmm, I stopped reading after I saw this. The issue is that there is no middle class left in that society, I mean scientifically there can't be. Middle class means you and your wife are both employed and can make a good living including an average car, an average house ( most likely mortgaged ) and can still save and make a trip or two a year. I leave a kid out of this scenario. I don't think this is feasible in today's Iran situation unless you know assume the middle class differently. you realize as of yesterday If you make under 5,000,000 Toman then you're under the poverty line. now tell me how much a teacher or a bank employee makes[/QUOTE]

Oct 18, 2010
i second the comments of the original poster since i just came
back from iran last week.as a matter of fact everytime i go to
iran my observations is vastly different than the propagnada i
read in the western press.maybe i associate with the well off
crowd but hey i don't mingle with the minimum wage folks in la
either.i don't think their outlook for future is much better than
the ones in iran either.neither can ever hope to buy a penthouse
suite on wilshire blvd or saadat abad.there is always poverty in
any society.the funniest thing was in a coffee house in gilan i
saw this provincial woman in full traditional dress whipping
out the latest rose iphone x and start taking pictures.how many
of you have one of those?

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
gotta be a bastard pretending you don't understand trippling price of everything is hurting all but mostly lower class. vasalaaaaaam no sugar-coating it.

add to that lack of job creation over the years, and sepah importing everything vs creating jobs.. OK.. what kind of moron can't add 2 and 2.?

Last edited:

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
i second the comments of the original poster since i just came
back from iran last week.as a matter of fact everytime i go to
iran my observations is vastly different than the propagnada i
read in the western press.maybe i associate with the well off
crowd but hey i don't mingle with the minimum wage folks in la
either.i don't think their outlook for future is much better than
the ones in iran either.neither can ever hope to buy a penthouse
suite on wilshire blvd or saadat abad.there is always poverty in
any society.the funniest thing was in a coffee house in gilan i
saw this provincial woman in full traditional dress whipping
out the latest rose iphone x and start taking pictures.how many
of you have one of those?
The effects of vodca sandis on the rocks.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
What you guys all say is exactly what everyone mumbled in Iran. However what i wrote is what I experienced and saw! Maybe your experiences are different compared to mine.

One example is, I attended a wedding of a middle class couple last week. The wedding, not only didn't lack anything compared to all other Iranian weddings I've experienced, they even overdid everything to an almost unethical way. From food to live music bands, drinks, fruits, cookies, etc etc.

Yes, theoretically you know it's not possible for a middle class family to be just that, a middle class family. But there they all were, there you could see them all living just as they've always done. I know...I was surprised too!

Last edited:

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
What you guys all say is exactly what everyone mumbled in Iran. However what i wrote is what I experienced and saw! Maybe your experiences are different compared to mine.

One example is, I attended a wedding of a middle class couple last week. The wedding, not only didn't lack anything compared to all other Iranian weddings I've experienced, they even overdid everything to an almost unethical way. From food to live music bands, drinks, fruits, cookies, etc etc.

Yes, theoretically you know it's not possible for a middle class family to be just that, a middle class family. But there they all were, there you could see them all living just as they've always done. I know...I was surprised too!
Your grasp of economics and lack of observational skills are appalling to be frank. I hope you don't base many life decisions on such observations

You attended a wedding and it didn't lack anything, and this surprised you?!

I understand not every thread needs to become a discussion of facts and numbers, but this level of "سطحی نگری" is also not very appealing.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Your grasp of economics and lack of observational skills are appalling to be frank. I hope you don't base many life decisions on such observations

I understand not every thread needs to become a discussion of facts and numbers, but this level of "سطحی نگری" is also not very appealing.
Azizam....as said, I reported what I saw. I did not say people were well off and I certainly didn't claim anything. I'm sure if you live there you will see lots of signs of the crisis, just as everyone was telling me. But that is what I saw during the short period I was there! and yes, it does surprise me that in such an expensive environment where all the prices have tripled and money has lost its value, a middle class family could still do so much "beriz bepash"!

To me it was very surprising that so many new buildings were being built, including the huge shopping center I mentioned earlier. But they were there being actively built! Yes, probably a mullah with lots of oil money was building them. but that's just it.

Yes, I was very surprised!

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
^ Off course there were places serving gold laced ice cream and boutiques selling priciest suits you can imagine.. yes for a short time even europeans say it feels safe and has been very affordable to visit.

Your story above is like driving thru beverly hills for the tourist and not having a clue that 5 miles outside it's homeless town in all directions. or Brazil world cup and how it was not safe to be meters away from the safe area.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
^ Off course there were places serving gold laced ice cream and boutiques selling priciest suits you can imagine.. yes for a short time even europeans say it feels safe and has been very affordable to visit.

Your story above is like driving thru beverly hills for the tourist and not having a clue that 5 miles outside it's homeless town in all directions. or Brazil world cup and how it was not safe to be meters away from the safe area.
No, I did mention the other side of the coin too.

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
I would cut sly some break.. back from a trip he's excited to report and any trip really pumps you unless it was a total disaster.

Yes Iranians go all out for weddings and there's a reason and you have a point. Had he gone (god forbid) to a funeral , he could have has a less appealing experience.

Regardless glad he had positive experience but reality is iran is in a very difficult place unless you're aghazadeh and bastards close to them. REading his comments I don't think he's in touch on what's happening on daily basis either. So be it.

Amou

Oct 21, 2002
I need to say this; hope this make the situation in Iran more clear to everyone.
My father has been retired for almost 20 years and his retirement salary is bare minimum; his only source of income and my mother a typical homemaker that just cooked, and washed and raised kids living in a small town in northern Iran; thanks god…
They never wanted to leave Iran but that is another story…
I visit them atleast once a year for a week or two and stay with them for the whole duration.
Yesterday I was talking to my sister and for the first time ever she said it might be better this year to send them the trip money instead of visiting them.
… now never mind what I will do or how I will take care of them… the fact that after 30 years for the first time I hear this outright.
In the past whenever I asked about the situation his reply was always “bejaay paneere siri 2000 toman maa haalaa 3000 toman meedeem” meaning their expense and expectations of life aren't much.
Now if this is the situation for retired old couple, you could imagine how it might be for young families with much more expenses.

Kian Pars

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2005

Everyone knows a wedding ceremony is a showoff and we Iranians are masters of it, that's not a good example of how people live in Iran.