Just came back from Iran

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I hope you had a good time seeing your family and friends.

I can't help but mention that your observations or anybody else's for that are inheritantly flawed. That's because the social circles you (or I) have don't represent the society as a whole.
A good 20% of Iran's population lives in provinces close to the border. Their is almost always ignored by domestic and especially foreign based media.

40% of Iran's GDP is related to construction and housing. That industry has been in recession for nearly 10 years. New sanctions won't change much there.

Iran's economy is very much a service economy which can be affected by sanctions but like an industrial or tourist based economy.

Sanctions do effect flow of goods and material and hamper location production and supply chains. However Iran will likely find ways to import goods via Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan azarbayejan turkey ...

Your observations on social issues matches what I have noticed as well.
IRI has pully back significantlly on so called morality police heavy handed approach.

Overall not much will change in Iran whether this Nezam stays or goes. There are deep structural imbalannces that for 70 years or so is being covered up by governments ability to sell energy.

Iran also has some things going for it.

Iran feels secure for the 1st time
It's has many neighbors so complete isolation is hard.

It's hard to predict the future. Too many variables at play.