Kaebi and our defence

Feb 5, 2005
Sweden
www.iranian.se
Doostan

In my point of view there are some concerning things in our team during the campaign to making it to the WC 2006:

Our central defence with Yahya is a real concern in my eyes. Sometimes he can act really nonchalant in the defence. Specially during the times Branko move his position to defensive midfielder. He has several times said in interviews and even showed that in several games to all experts that he plays terrible in that position with no sense of positioning and too many errors in passing the ball.

He has become little slow, with too much temperament and as I said too much nonchalant. We saw some signs in penalty against China and the way he acted in Jordan game pushing Jordanian player in a terrible way which could lead to a catastrophy to the team if he was sent of.

The combination Kaebi - Yahya - Rezai - Nosrati will probably be Brank's first choise in our defensive line.

In my opinion this choice is not the best. I know that many of you are a great fan of Hossein Kaebi . I agree with you about his offensive qualities, about his speed and his talent. BUT I am really concerned about his physical attributes for playing in defense and the way he handles the ball.

I have looked at many games and see time after time he holds the ball too long before he passes it. We could see it several time in the latest Bosnia game. For european style of playing these are very important things. I know that his offensive attributes are great and he has potential to be better but our defence has always been a shaky part of our football and it is time to think defence when you play defence.

These with Yahyas speed and way of playing make our defence pretty vulnerable. U could see that Bosnians were attacking us most of the time from kaebi's side (even the goal we recieved).

The dilemma is that Branko has tested combination Kameli + Nosrati too and he was not satisfied. The question is what is the best defence line in your opinion and why you think that is the best?

Please don't write kaebi because he is good too attack and attack is the best defence. I just want a discussion about defence and defensiv thinking.

My 2 zari goes to Nosrati - Rezaei - Kameli - Zare . Moving Nosrati to the right is not the best choice if we want to play offensive but my dream is Kaebi with "badane" Nosrati :)

saeed agha

IPL Player
Oct 20, 2002
UAE
Well believe it or not, Kabi is one of the BEST defenders we have!

How many times did you see him get dribbled around, no matter who is facing him? Review some tapes and you shall see. Ka'abi is probably the best iranian player when it comes to facing the attacker one-on-one. I am not just saying that, I have notcied it many times.

On the other hand, Nosrati is the worst defender when it comes to one-on-one. He always commits fouls to stop the guy that goes around him. If you want to take someone out, then I suggest Nosrati.

With regards to Gol Mohammadi, yes he almost cost us the WC in Jordan and Qatar games.. that push was one of the most unprofessional acts by an experienced player (is such difficult time) that you can see. We were lucky that the ref was too close so he saw that the incident was not that bad and the jordanian player was acting.
But still, I thnk yahya is not that bad when he plays the last defender. Having him play defensive mid is a waste of resouce in that position (given that any other player can produce better as defensive mid).

Nov 29, 2002
Pasargad, you have hit the jackpot with Nosrati - Rezaei - Kameli - Zareh

that is the best defensive line up we can have. I honestly think Kaabi should come on in the second half and have a "free role". He is fit and fast enough to adapt to this position, one of the only players in the world at the moment who can play the F-R in my opinion.

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser
Kaabi's only problem is that because of physic he can't really commit professional fouls. He has to go after the legs and that's risky cuz he can miss. Remember the Jordan game?

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I agree with Saeed agha in this one!

Ka'bi is fine! He had one lousy mistake in the previous game, so what?? So does the best players in the world. When he plays an almost faultless game (like in Iran- South Korea game) nobody comments on him but one little mistake will make him weak in defense??

Come on guys!

Feb 5, 2005
Sweden
www.iranian.se
Sly jan,

If u read my post u will see that I really admire Kaebi's offensive qualities. I agree also that he was great in the game against South Korea BUT once again, he was good in that game in the offesive line. The korean midfielder had a terrible day and he was out of balance (remember him showing fingers to our bench?). He (The korean) did not have any offensive qualities.

What happens if Kaebi can't attack so much against teams like Brazil or other quality teams? Could he handle Roberto Carlos ? Have we seen him against quality players ?

Just talking about some weakness in our team does not mean that I do not like Kaebi or ... I really admire him for his offensive qualities but the fact still remains and that is his physical attributes for being a defender.

Taba was a great goalie too but no professional goalkeeping coach belived in him. When Ciro & Begovic chose Mirzapour and told everybody in Iran that he has the best chanse of being a great keeper because of his physical attributes the many did laugh !

Regards

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Pasargad jan, I know what you are saying! But what I meant was that just like Saeed agha said, even with his limited physic, he is still great in defense too. Ofcourse, playing against a world class team is another matter (although he didn't really mess up against the giants and physical german players either).

But at least for Bahrain game and all the other games in the WCQ games, I think he's one of our best both in the offence and defense!

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
yeah well... (den dagen, den sorgen ;) )...
Who knows, maybe he's become a player perfect for such teams until then as well?! ;)