Bauvafa

Bench Warmer
Oct 26, 2004
How about that???? :-ohno:

China, Iran target Asian Cup quarterfinal berth

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](AP)
Updated: 2007-07-14 18:09[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia _ Zhu Guanghu's Chinese lineup knows its 5-1 win over Malaysia will count for little when it takes on Iran in an Asian Cup match likely to decide top place in Group C.
China's soccer team coach Zhu Guanghu (top) watches his players warm up during a training session for the 2007 AFC Asian Cup soccer tournament in Kuala Lumpur July 12, 2007. [Reuters]Energized by victories in their opening matches, China and Iran are aiming for three more points on Sunday that would propel one of them into the quarterfinals.
Zhu said beating three-time champion Iran would require a completely new strategy, focussed on shutting down the Iranian attack on the right flank.
"Iran is definitely the strongest team in the group," Zhu said. "We need to forget our last match and count down to this next one."
To do that, the 2004 Asian Cup finalists will have to adapt quickly in real time to counter Iran.
Iran opened with a 2-1 win over Uzbekistan on Wednesday, when coach Amir Ghalenoei earned a one-match ban from the sideline for throwing a bottle on the sideline.
Ghalenoei _ known for a fiery temper _ insisted Saturday that the suspension was unjustified, claiming he only threw the bottle because he was upset with one of his own players, not at the referee.
"I am amazed that they are suspending me for the game that is coming up," Ghalenoei told a news conference. "That was an unfair decision. I was not disrespecting the referee when I threw the bottle."
Ghalenoei said Iran expects a tough time against the speedy and well-organized Chinese, but thinks his team will be a lot harder to handle than Malaysia was in the Group C opener.
"I did not see Malaysia put pressure on China's defense line," Ghalenoei said.
Iran was not at its best against Uzbekistan, something Ghalenoei attributed to the heat and humidity in Southeast Asia, but its senior players rose a level when it counted.
Iran midfielder Ali Karimi was among them. He said it took a while to adjust not only to the climate but also to the pitch. He was critical of the pitch at Kuala Lumpur's Bukit Jalil National Stadium, saying it was "not acceptable" and made playing properly very difficult.
[/FONT]

Ali(ISP)

Tottenham till I die
Oct 16, 2002
Southampton, UK
GN said the same thing today in the press conference.

he said the pitch isnt that good, but he quickly said that the malaysians instead have done their best to make iran welcome, so he didnt want to make this an attack on malaysians.

instead he was trying to say AFC are incompetent.

first he said AFC changed the red card for qatari coach, but didnt change it for him, so he suggested they are biased.

he then said china will have two later games (in the evening), while iran has two early games. so he suggested AFC might have done a favour to china by making sure their games are played when the weather has cooled down a bit.

Faran

Bench Warmer
Jan 4, 2007
USA
It's the same pitch for both teams buddy.

You know, if we are going to constantly complain about the AFC and accuse them of racism, we might as well expect calls like the ones made in the game against China 3 years ago.

Let's all stop, even on the internet forums. It gets around...