Khoda Ghovat!

Oct 18, 2002
here
www.apfn.org
I hope he has produced an Original piece of work, uninfluenced by any outsiders period.
we have to be cautious and guard our culture from invasions and misinformation . (things which we dont take seriously which makes them even more dangerous. like the new form of radio/tv reports/broadcasting using street language which sounds idiotic but it is a plan to destroy our culture via our language).

anyway, this reminded me of this old movie called (Great)? Ball of Fire staring Gary Cooper. lol
:)

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
wow amazing story..so proud of him..his Encyclopedia of Iran will be remembered and used for generations to come..:)

thanx for sharing this great news!

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
So much praises from a bunch who knows nothing about what has been produced!!!
I have heared both good things and bad things about the product. So for the sake of exploring it let me ask two key questions on issues I think are very important:
1- How does Mr. Yarshater describe the begining of civility in Iran? Is he still spreading the same old BS lies the Euros have spread to undermine our culture? I am talking about already civilized Aryans moving into Iran some 3000 years ago and forming a new society.........If he is repeating that lie, inspite all the archeological findings (such as Iranians producing wine 5000 years ago, or having been the first to melt copper.....) then he is not doing Iran any favors.
2- How does his encyclopedia describe the Arab conquer of Iran? Does he portary us as a nation who benefited from Islam, and the Arabification of our culture?

I do not know the answers to either one of those BASIC questions - hence before praising him and allow NY times make another hero for me - I will make sure I know the answers to such questions...........don't forget, our identity has been under attack...

beystr 2.0

Bench Warmer
Jul 9, 2006
Masoud jon..by just doing a quick brows..I'd dare say his work is fantastic and looks and sounds more facts and scientific based than opinionated....and at the end of the day..he.Mr. yarshater decides what goes in and what does not..so , it is subjective to a point..but all n all...I'd call him a great iranian and this thing is just a great tool..check it out..

http://www.iranicaonline.org

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
Masoud jon..by just doing a quick brows..I'd dare say his work is fantastic and looks and sounds more facts and scientific based than opinionated....and at the end of the day..he.Mr. yarshater decides what goes in and what does not..so , it is subjective to a point..but all n all...I'd call him a great iranian and this thing is just a great tool..check it out..

http://www.iranicaonline.org
Are you kidding? Masoud doesn't have time to "fact check". On the off chance that he cares to check the facts he has people who do that for him :)

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
Amoo bey - I just posed 2 specific questions. I hope after I get my answer, I would not be dissapointed. I was just trying to get the boys and girls attention to what sort of thing they may need to look into.. and hopefuly get educated by those who have actualy read the work and not just the NY Times article.

Oct 18, 2002
Amoo bey - I just posed 2 specific questions. I hope after I get my answer, I would not be dissapointed. I was just trying to get the boys and girls attention to what sort of thing they may need to look into.. and hopefuly get educated by those who have actualy read the work and not just the NY Times article.
Masoud jan,
Why not checking the work before trying to undermine it? Have you read it?

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
Deerouz Jaan - Are you asking me if I have read a whole encyclopedia?
I have not - but why do you have a problem with me asking questions about it? Why are you calling it "Undermining"? You see my dear fellow memebr, that is exactly the attitude "godmakers" take and us Iranians are very good at it. Is the whole thing available on-line? I am checking into what beystr posted - will give you my call when I conclude something. This guy yarshater is no politician for me or you to have pre-set notions about.....I am just very sensetive about how our history has been manipulated......

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
Just for gol e jamale shomaha\
I checked the link beystr posted - and got this far - before I was asked to enter username and password...

The Advent and Spread of Islam in Iran
The series of entries in this section provide a general survey of historical geography of the advent and spread of Islam in the lands of Iran and related territories from the early period to the present time, including the Iranian plateau, Central Asia and Afghanistan, and Mesopotamia.

i. THE ADVENT OF ISLAM IN IRAN. See IRAN ix/2.1.

ii. CONVERSION TO ISLAM. See CONVERSION iii.

iii. LATE MEDIEVAL PERIOD. See IRAN ix/2.2.

iv. SHIʿITE STATES SINCE THE SAFAVIDS. See IRAN ix/2.3.
(various authors)
Originally Published: December 15, 2007
Last Updated: December 15, 2007
BACK TO TOP ISLAM IN IRAN i - iv

0 COMMENTS ADD COMMENT
0 TAGS ADD A TAG
Sections in this entry

1. <LI class=here>ISLAM IN IRAN i - iv
  2. ISLAM IN IRAN vi. THE CONCEPT OF MAHDI IN SUNNI ISLAM
  3. ISLAM IN IRAN vii. THE CONCEPT OF MAHDI IN TWELVER SHIʿISM
  4. ISLAM IN IRAN viii. THE OCCULTATION OF MAHDI
  5. ISLAM IN IRAN ix. THE DEPUTIES OF MAHDI
  6. ISLAM IN IRAN x. THE ROOTS OF POLITICAL SHIʿISMs
  7. ISLAM IN IRAN xi. JIHAD IN ISLAM
  8. ISLAM IN IRAN xii. MARTYRDOM IN ISLAM
  9. ISLAM IN IRAN xiii. ISLAMIC POLITICAL MOVEMENTS IN 20TH CENTURY IRAN
  10. ISLAM IN IRAN xiv - xviii

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
How many people do you know who start something as monumental as this at the age of 53?! Most people consider themselves "past it" at that age. Indeed Khoda Ghovvat.
Coincidentally, Shamloo's first volume of Ketab e Kooche (which is just as monumental in its own right) was also out when he was 53. And he has been doing this pretty much along with Aida. But I agree that this is a lost generation that we won't have again.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Coincidentally, Shamloo's first volume of Ketab e Kooche (which is just as monumental in its own right) was also out when he was 53. And he has been doing this pretty much along with Aida. But I agree that this is a lost generation that we won't have again.
Ketabe Kooche was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the original link. I finished the "ALEF" of Ketabe Kooche and it was a joy, not to mention a great way for my mom to keep me out of trouble at the age of 12!

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
It's not about you - or anyone on this thread....
it's about the whole board - none has an answer to my 2 questions.
In many ways Khodam is right - I selfishly use this board for education and fact-checking.