Learning about the world through photography

alila

National Team Player
Jun 9, 2006
a galaxy far far away
Alila,
I do not mind having that blad camera. But that is mostly for fashion photographer.
I like to have Linhof Master Technika. With a good slide scanner (or commercial drum scanner) you can achieve more than 39 Mega Pixel of H2D-39.
nice one. good taste sepahan jan.
as u said that blad is for portrait photography. but i like industrial photography as well. the quality is mind blowing.
good luck mate
chak

Sepahan

Bench Warmer
Jan 4, 2003
Now you can buy Carl Zeiss T* lenses for Nikon (just manual focus). That is the closest you can get to blad quality.

Photokina 2006: Zeiss has announced no less than four new ZF series manual focus prime lenses for Nikon F mount. First come the Distagon T* 35 mm F2.0 and 25 mm F2.8 ZF lenses, promising fast wide angle. Next the Makro-Planar T* 50 mm F2.0 and 100 mm F2.0 ZF lenses, a combination of excellent, sharp macro performance and a very fast maximum aperture. These lenses range in price from US$824 (the two Distagon lenses) to US$1,749 for the Makro-Planar 100 mm F2.0.

read more here
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0610/06100103zeissnikonfmount.asp

Sabzi

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
I have a Nikon D40 and its a good camera, definitely enough for a "newcomer" to SLR (as I was when I got the D40). It has everything you need... only problem is that older lenses wont work in most of the case (well, they work, but autofocus doesnt work). But there are some lenses out there, from Sigma for example, who work with D40.

Other than that... I could send you some pictures I made with my D40 for you to see whats possible ;)

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
I have a Nikon D40 and its a good camera, definitely enough for a "newcomer" to SLR (as I was when I got the D40). It has everything you need... only problem is that older lenses wont work in most of the case (well, they work, but autofocus doesnt work). But there are some lenses out there, from Sigma for example, who work with D40.

Other than that... I could send you some pictures I made with my D40 for you to see whats possible ;)
pictures from spain? :) how is it in malaga??
I sent you a pm with my e-mail...

btw. I think I read that with D40 you can't save pictures in RAW format, correct?

I checked the prices again...the Canon 400D is around 340 Euros in the US, which is ridiculous. 450 is around 450 Euros..still cheaper than the 600 Euros for 400D here.

Sabzi

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
pictures from spain? :) how is it in malaga??
I sent you a pm with my e-mail...

btw. I think I read that with D40 you can't save pictures in RAW format, correct?

I checked the prices again...the Canon 400D is around 340 Euros in the US, which is ridiculous. 450 is around 450 Euros..still cheaper than the 600 Euros for 400D here.
hey man, its nice here. although i have to say i like sevilla more, was there yesterday on a short trip :) and granada, alhambra.. nice, too.

btw, with d40 you can take raw picture, i do it all the time :) camera-raw is a good plug-in for photoshop, you should use it when you get your camera!

i try to send you few pictures, if you dont receive any now, look for them at the weekend because my internet is damn slow here :(

Feb 22, 2005
you need to figure out what type of photography you would like to do and how much to spend on it. If you want to go Digital, Canon is way ahead of others. If you want to use Film, a used Nike F3 is a good start.

If you want to go more serious, you can start with medium format. Mamiya M7 or 7II is a great medium camera, but is a range finder. It would be great for street or journalism type photography but not for sports. For SLR type, you can find a used Hasselblad 500cm with the Zeiss Lens. But then you have to figure out how to process your film or get a scanner and scan it after having a lab process it.

If you want to go digital and can spend the money, Canon 40D is a good place to start or go less expensive and get a used 20D or 30D. You will need a SLR like one of these so you can play with depth of field, etc..

Sepahan

Bench Warmer
Jan 4, 2003
I do not recommend Nikon D40. But go ahead and spend your money on D40X. You are stepping up from 6 MP to 10 MP. Nikon will announce new D60 to replace D40 cameras. If you can wait few months the price of D40X will drops.
You guys are paying too much in Europe for camera equipment. Same here in Canada more expensive than USA. I usually buy from State B & H, Adorama, Calumet photo.
D40X with 18-55 mm lenses is going for $610 in US, $670 (Toronto Aden camera) and $790 in Robert White in UK.
I have saved more than $600 on single lens by buying from B & H in New York than buying the same thing in Canada. I am not working for B & H (BTW they are very Jewish). They do ship to Europe too, but probably you have to pay tax and duties.

westwienmaskulin

Oct 18, 2002
hey man, its nice here. although i have to say i like sevilla more, was there yesterday on a short trip :) and granada, alhambra.. nice, too.

btw, with d40 you can take raw picture, i do it all the time :) camera-raw is a good plug-in for photoshop, you should use it when you get your camera!

i try to send you few pictures, if you dont receive any now, look for them at the weekend because my internet is damn slow here :(
Sevilla should be an awesome place from what I have heard..it's just the people speak crazy.
My next spain trip is to paisos vascos though...I have to see Donotia/San Sebastian and Bilbao ;)

I do not recommend Nikon D40. But go ahead and spend your money on D40X. You are stepping up from 6 MP to 10 MP. Nikon will announce new D60 to replace D40 cameras. If you can wait few months the price of D40X will drops.
You guys are paying too much in Europe for camera equipment. Same here in Canada more expensive than USA. I usually buy from State B & H, Adorama, Calumet photo.
D40X with 18-55 mm lenses is going for $610 in US, $670 (Toronto Aden camera) and $790 in Robert White in UK.
I have saved more than $600 on single lens by buying from B & H in New York than buying the same thing in Canada. I am not working for B & H (BTW they are very Jewish). They do ship to Europe too, but probably you have to pay tax and duties.
Thanks...a friend of mine wants to buy the D40X and apparently it'S easier to learn with them. The reason I tended more to Canon though was because I'm more used to them.
Eitherway, I wanted to buy one in March, so I will wait until then.

Yes..we pay too much for all types of electronics here. The only thing that is cheaper/as expensive here are Diesel Jeans apparently ;)

Asus

Bench Warmer
Jul 24, 2004
Montreal Canada
Sorry I do not agree with that Canon is better than Nikon. At the entry level SLR all are same. Could you elaborate they are better in what way.

:--confuse
i agree with sepahan its very hard to say. but in my opinion canon has a advantage on there lenses but thats debatable too

btw sepahan did you see the new sigma 200-500 2.8 it looks amazing ..

Sepahan

Bench Warmer
Jan 4, 2003
i agree with sepahan its very hard to say. but in my opinion canon has a advantage on there lenses but thats debatable too

btw sepahan did you see the new sigma 200-500 2.8 it looks amazing ..
Yes I did, that is not a lens it is a green monster.

PJ

IPL Player
Oct 18, 2002
Westi jan,
I just saw this article on Yahoo. I thought I post it here. Here is the part about new DSLRs:

Meet the DSLRs and their little cousins

There's a blurring line between high-end point-and-shoot cameras and DSLRs, but typically DSLRs look much more like traditional film cameras and have interchangeable lenses. They are faster at starting up and focusing, and much better at taking pictures in low-light conditions. They're also larger, heavier, and more expensive.

Pentax and Sony both have new DSLR cameras. The top of the line Pentax K20D offers 14.6 megapixels and uses a CMOS sensor, which is said to be more sensitive to light than the alternative CCD sensor. Sony announced its DSLR-a200, an easier to use entry-level DSLR with a 10-megapixel sensor and compatibility with the full line of Minolta accessories. Canon's Rebel, one of the best-selling DSLRs, has a new generation called the 450D Digital Rebel XSi, featuring a 12.2-megapixel CMOS sensor, a 3-inch LCD, and great wide-angle shooting.

The Fujifilm FinePix S100FS is shaping up as a great alternative for those who want telephoto capabilities. It's got an 11-megapixel Super CCD sensor and a new lens that goes from 28mm to 400mm (based on a 35mm equivalent). In keeping with that theme, Olympus is unveiling what it claims is the world's first digital compact camera with whopping 20x optical zoom. The Olympus 10-megapixel SP-570 UZ is compact, but has DSLR-like features. Kodak also announced its compact high-zoom camera with image stabilization. The Z1012 IS, a 10 megapixel camera with a 12x optical zoom, claims the fastest click to capture of any camera, plus it automatically adjusts for scene detection so you don't have to futz with adjusting for backlighting and other hazards of getting the shot. The camera will sell for $299.

For the full article go to:
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/raskin/17611

westwienmaskulin

Oct 18, 2002
thx for the article...I had/have one old Sony Cybershot and promised myself to never ever again buy a Sony camera. Pentax..hm..I think what hurt them was that they got into the digital camera market a bit too late. I have narrowed my choice down to Canon D400 and Nikon D40X now after this thread, talking with lots of people, reading reviews and such. I have to wait for the new D450 and if it offers anything more than 12 Megapixel..

alila

National Team Player
Jun 9, 2006
a galaxy far far away
thx for the article...I had/have one old Sony Cybershot and promised myself to never ever again buy a Sony camera. Pentax..hm..I think what hurt them was that they got into the digital camera market a bit too late. I have narrowed my choice down to Canon D400 and Nikon D40X now after this thread, talking with lots of people, reading reviews and such. I have to wait for the new D450 and if it offers anything more than 12 Megapixel..
mehdi

saay kon faghat BODY ro begiri va bikhiale oon lens default beshi ke rooye doorbin mizaran chon moft geroone.

yek lens khabarnegari 28-80 mm kareto vase hame chi rah mindaze.
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=1927

inam lens more alaghe mane
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=1933

chak

westwienmaskulin

Oct 18, 2002
chaks ali jan...manam etefaghan dar hamoon fekr boodam. hope the 400D gets a bit more off in price and then I have more money to spend on a lens.
dar zemn babam yek minoltaye nesbatan bahal dare khune...analog, wali motasefane yek chizish kharabe..inja ham poole yek doorbino migiran tamir konan.
gotta wait to go to iran for repairing it..

But Minolta XK is a classic..