Legionnaires thread 2020-2021, News, Updates, Live Reports

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
2-2, as soon as Mehdi was subbed out Braga scored 2.
Another solid game by Mehdi, too bad he didn't play much at the start of the season otherwise he would have a chance for golden shoes again.
He now has 8 goals in league, 2nd in goal scoring table. Pedro Goncalves of Sporting has 14...

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Taremi why are you here now?! You should have been here when you were 23. Sigh!

Heck, more than that Azmoun should have been here when he was 23. He's got no excuse!

Ali N.

Aug 3, 2004
Taremi why are you here now?! You should have been here when you were 23. Sigh!

Heck, more than that Azmoun should have been here when he was 23. He's got no excuse!
Problem with our players not in good clubs in my view are 2 issues: their agents and politics. Contrary to Japanese and Korean players, politics is a factor for going to good/reputable clubs

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Problem with our players not in good clubs in my view are 2 issues: their agents and politics. Contrary to Japanese and Korean players, politics is a factor for going to good/reputable clubs
I agree but Taremi is there now, isn't he? Daei, Hashemian and Ali Karimi were in Bayern too. Why couldn't they be there sooner? Azmoun definitely had the biggest chance of reaching there at that age but he blew it too.

Ali N.

Aug 3, 2004
I agree but Taremi is there now, isn't he? Daei, Hashemian and Ali Karimi were in Bayern too. Why couldn't they be there sooner? Azmoun definitely had the biggest chance of reaching there at that age but he blew it too.
Their agents first get them to a club in persian gulf countries (UAE, Qatar) based on whoever pays more... they don't care about Europe first. Unless the player himself makes an exception and pushed for the move to Europe first, just like Jahanbaskhsh, Ezatollahi... Karimi had a chance to play for Atletico when he was about 20, Atletico's president went to Iran and watched his game against Esteghlal however Persepolis didn't manage it well and the transfer didn't happen! Karimi is a very good example of why players/talents are wasted...

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Their agents first get them to a club in persian gulf countries (UAE, Qatar) based on whoever pays more... they don't care about Europe first. Unless the player himself makes an exception and pushed for the move to Europe first, just like Jahanbaskhsh, Ezatollahi... Karimi had a chance to play for Atletico when he was about 20, Atletico's president went to Iran and watched his game against Esteghlal however Persepolis didn't manage it well and the transfer didn't happen! Karimi is a very good example of why players/talents are wasted...
Well, Azmoun never had that problem at least. He even had offers from top clubs very early in his career. He doesn't have any excuse but being a mama's boy.

As for Karimi......from what I remember, that deal didn't happen only because Karimi refused to go to Europe. Otherwise getting a player is not decided from seeing only one game. I think Atletico had Karimi under observation for a good while and finally they decided to get him. I remember a few years later, Blazevic said if Karimi went to Europe now, he could become one of the top 5 players in the world. Then he said if he had gone to Europe a few years ago as I told him to, he could have become one of the top 2 players in the world. However the dude refused and stayed in Dubai for a good while until he became 26. Another lazy mama's boy.

Jan 26, 2006
Well, Azmoun never had that problem at least. He even had offers from top clubs very early in his career. He doesn't have any excuse but being a mama's boy.

As for Karimi......from what I remember, that deal didn't happen only because Karimi refused to go to Europe. Otherwise getting a player is not decided from seeing only one game. I think Atletico had Karimi under observation for a good while and finally they decided to get him. I remember a few years later, Blazevic said if Karimi went to Europe now, he could become one of the top 5 players in the world. Then he said if he had gone to Europe a few years ago as I told him to, he could have become one of the top 2 players in the world. However the dude refused and stayed in Dubai for a good while until he became 26. Another lazy mama's boy.
It's a case of contacts and charisma.

When Branko wanted Mobali to sign for Dynamo Zagreb in 2005, it was such a lukewarm move than Mobali himself rebelled against it and fell out with Branko over it (not to mention Branko wanted a bit of a "middle man" payment!

Queiroz on the other hand called up his contacts at Vila do Conde and he made the difference for a player who would otherwise now possibly have remained in Qatar and we wouldn't have been able to witness him banging them in for a historic European club.

This is the difference of having a coach like Queiroz, and why it still absolutely amazes me that people can't put in context what he did in the "Islamic Republic" of Iran.

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
Jafar Salmani played the last 20 min for Portimonese, in liga nos, this is the name that most iranian football fans haven't heard about before he joins Portugal league, a bit like milad mohammad debut
Sometime it is nice to have a little connection and someone who trust your abilities

Ali N.

Aug 3, 2004

It works both ways... we have to admit our players are grown technically, but not from academics point and that's mainly due to mismanagement of clubs and teams. Our players are not taught from early on other aspects such as discipline, behavioral... that are taught to European players. I think other strong Asian countries are way ahead of Iran in this case... Karimi's case was not just his fault, but Persepolis and even the sports authorities at the time. Remember Mahdavikia? how he finally ended in Hamburg?! He had offers from Tottenham too... at the end I recall they had to involve Khatami to not lose Hamburg's interest!!

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
In TM forward chart and with so many strikers around(azmoun, taremi, rezaei, ansarifard, zahedi, moghanlou, alipour, ghayedi,sayyadmanesh etc), which almost all play in europe, i guess after taremi and azmoun shahab zahedi should be the 3rd guy in that list.
He is a full package, big guy who can dribble, score from inside and outside box, strong on header and big forwards with speed are always welcomed in any team.
For me after sardar and taremi he is ahead of kaveh, ansarifard, specially considering his age(25).

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
It works both ways... we have to admit our players are grown technically, but not from academics point and that's mainly due to mismanagement of clubs and teams. Our players are not taught from early on other aspects such as discipline, behavioral... that are taught to European players. I think other strong Asian countries are way ahead of Iran in this case... Karimi's case was not just his fault, but Persepolis and even the sports authorities at the time. Remember Mahdavikia? how he finally ended in Hamburg?! He had offers from Tottenham too... at the end I recall they had to involve Khatami to not lose Hamburg's interest!!
Well, Mahdavikia had sarbazi issues. When asked in an interview, Karimi said himself he made estekhareh and bad oomad. That's why I went to Dubai instead.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Jafar Salmani played the last 20 min for Portimonese, in liga nos, this is the name that most iranian football fans haven't heard about before he joins Portugal league, a bit like milad mohammad debut
Sometime it is nice to have a little connection and someone who trust your abilities
How was he?

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
In TM forward chart and with so many strikers around(azmoun, taremi, rezaei, ansarifard, zahedi, moghanlou, alipour, ghayedi,sayyadmanesh etc), which almost all play in europe, i guess after taremi and azmoun shahab zahedi should be the 3rd guy in that list.
He is a full package, big guy who can dribble, score from inside and outside box, strong on header and big forwards with speed are always welcomed in any team.
For me after sardar and taremi he is ahead of kaveh, ansarifard, specially considering his age(25).
Also, don't forget about Delfi.

The league and the team they play for, play a major role too. I think the Belgian league is in general better than the Ukrainian one, isn't it? Also AEK Athens is a top Greek team and have been in the CL several times. I would put them ahead of a no name team in Ukraine.

Nov 24, 2002
Also, don't forget about Delfi.

The league and the team they play for, play a major role too. I think the Belgian league is in general better than the Ukrainian one, isn't it? Also AEK Athens is a top Greek team and have been in the CL several times. I would put them ahead of a no name team in Ukraine.
It is matter of AGE and impact, Karim Ansarifard was never a big guy in TM despite lots of hype at the start of career, he barely had scored a crucial goal other than P. K vs Portugal, same as Kaveh.
I rather to have 33 years old Gucci on the bench who still scores in Europe and was crucial for TM many many times, than Karim and Kaveh.
Also Delfi is winger not forward really

Nov 24, 2002
Shahab Zahedi highlights, this guy is huge, as big as big Daei, with better set of skills and speed, obviously i am not comparing him to Daei by any mean in level of achievement but just saying he deserves his chance in TM, Moghanlou is a big guy too but too slow and unidimensional.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
is mehdi's gf with him in portugal?

It's not his gf anymore. She took advantage of him and got lots of money before she left. He was quite destroyed because of it for a while. I'm happy he didn't let that influence his career. He seems to have gotten over her though.