Legionnaires thread 2020-2021, News, Updates, Live Reports

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Well, Azmoun won the game for them. Damesh garm!

But why do our strikers need 10 scoring chances before they can score one?! Azmoun had at least 3-4 clear chances which he missed.

I have said it before but need to stress this again, we really cannot afford this against Bahrain and Iraq in June! We may only get 1 or 2 scoring chances specially against Bahrain.

Ps. wished Dzyuba was Iranian! What a player!

Jan 26, 2006
Did you know Russians pretty much gave up on Dyzuba 10 years ago, they said his touch just isn't good enough for him to become a top player in the Russian league.

He worked hard, and he showed them....

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
If he had only 3 missed chances it would have been a disaster but I think he did good all things considered
First opportunity only would have been scored if a super goal was to happen
He did well with his long shot
His first goal was really the result of a defensive hesitation
2nd goal was world class

If our halfbacks feed few opportunities, our boys will score
Azmoun, Taremi, Gholizadeh, Rezaei, Alizadeh, Ghaedi, Ansarifar, ... we never had so many good options. No worries about injuries or cards

I also think out mid options are really bad at all;
Ghoddos, Ebrahimi, Jahanbakhsh, Karimi, amiri, torabi, mohebbi

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
If he had only 3 missed chances it would have been a disaster but I think he did good all things considered
First opportunity only would have been scored if a super goal was to happen
He did well with his long shot
His first goal was really the result of a defensive hesitation
2nd goal was world class

If our halfbacks feed few opportunities, our boys will score
Azmoun, Taremi, Gholizadeh, Rezaei, Alizadeh, Ghaedi, Ansarifar, ... we never had so many good options. No worries about injuries or cards

I also think out mid options are really bad at all;
Ghoddos, Ebrahimi, Jahanbakhsh, Karimi, amiri, torabi, mohebbi
I'm not really as impressed by our midfield as you are.
Ghoddos is not the same player he was at 23. His lack of regular playing time is his drawback.
Ebrahimi and Amiri are not getting any younger. They are still good but not top players.
Jahanbakhsh is not game ready. (Does the poor guy even remember how to play? :) )
Ali Karimi never impressed in TM. He was always CQ's 5th or 6th option too.
Torabi: Frankly I don't know so much about him anymore. If he's in form (as before) he's our only top option in the midfield
Mohebbi: Too inexperienced. needs to prove himself in TM too.

As you can see, our best midfielders are not as good as our best forwards in their respective positions.

If both Pouraliganji and Majid Hosseini play in the center and Ramin Rezaeian as RB (IMO, Sadegh Moharrami is not our best RB despite playing in Europe) and Milad as LB, then our defense will be set. Just need to hope and pray Beiranvand is in his top form.

As for Azmoun and his missed chances.....I have a "surprising" feeling the Bahrainis will heavily park the bus and rely on game flow disruption and grass rolling. We may get a very tough time reaching close to their goal. So both Azmoun and Taremi are gonna have to score on the half chances they may get or else we'll be history.

Last edited:

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
We also have Jafar Salmani, kamyabi nia and Ezzatollahi. To me a benched Jahanbakhsh is still better than Bahrain midfielders. The same way a benched Daei was still Asia's nightmare for a decade.
It might be just gut feeling, but I am not afraid of Bahrain, it is the most crucial game and as I said before literally a do or die but we should pull it together. Our current midfielders can dominate theirs. We played there once with a manager whose heart was not with the team anymore, we barely lost a game that we could alternatively tied or won. It is football, even Germany may loss to Norh Macedonia.
My real fear is Iraq, they are always tough. If we lose that game we might not be one of the 2nd teams who advance.

The good news is, with a lot more presence of TM players in Europe than before, our players are now more brave than the general public before important games.

Nov 24, 2002
We also have Jafar Salmani, kamyabi nia and Ezzatollahi. To me a benched Jahanbakhsh is still better than Bahrain midfielders. The same way a benched Daei was still Asia's nightmare for a decade.
It might be just gut feeling, but I am not afraid of Bahrain, it is the most crucial game and as I said before literally a do or die but we should pull it together. Our current midfielders can dominate theirs. We played there once with a manager whose heart was not with the team anymore, we barely lost a game that we could alternatively tied or won. It is football, even Germany may loss to Norh Macedonia.
My real fear is Iraq, they are always tough. If we lose that game we might not be one of the 2nd teams who advance.

The good news is, with a lot more presence of TM players in Europe than before, our players are now more brave than the general public before important games.
Salmani is winger/R, L back. , Kamyabinia? well, when was the last time he played for TM? I agree about Ezzatollahi but he also lost few steps despite the young age. Our CM is our weakest position, worst than when Queiroz took over. We have a great depth in forwars, GK, even wingers and D.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002

Hope you're right! I'm also afraid of Iraq. Both games are gonna be tough tough games for us. Specially playing them in the tough weather conditions of Bahraini June. I just hope we see much better games from TM than what we saw in our latest friendly.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Salmani is winger/R, L back. , Kamyabinia? well, when was the last time he played for TM? I agree about Ezzatollahi but he also lost few steps despite the young age. Our CM is our weakest position, worst than when Queiroz took over. We have a great depth in forwars, GK, even wingers and D.
I wouldn't say we have great depth in defense either. our regular defenders (Pouraliganji and Hosseini), are top players. Their replacements? I think the gap between them is wider than the gap between our forwards and goalkeepers.

Nov 24, 2002
I wouldn't say we have great depth in defense either. our regular defenders (Pouraliganji and Hosseini), are top players. Their replacements? I think the gap between them is wider than the gap between our forwards and goalkeepers.
Kanani is a decent defender, Shoja is a real complete and modern CB, it is shame he is getting invited again at age of 31 because he is Iran best defender after PAG and i wouldn't be surprised he starts next to him as qualifiers.

Iran has 4 CB that can start against any team. Then you have Salimi, Taha Shariati two promising. Cheshmi, Yazdani, Moradmand,

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Shoja is a real complete and modern CB, it is shame he is getting invited again at age of 31 because he is Iran best defender after PAG
Based on what? From what I've seen from him in TM so far he's far from being solid. In the last friendly he was shaky too. There is a reason why he was hardly invited by CQ. He might be a good defender for PGL standard and Perspolis but to play internationally for TM is a different matter.

Kanani is ok but not at the level of Pouraliganji and Hosseini. I'm not always comfortable when he gets to play or is subbed in instead of one of the two.

Cheshmi is fine if he's in form. I don't know if he is. The rest are fairly inexperienced.

Nov 24, 2002
Based on what? From what I've seen from him in TM so far he's far from being solid. In the last friendly he was shaky too. There is a reason why he was hardly invited by CQ. He might be a good defender for PGL standard and Perspolis but to play internationally for TM is a different matter.

Kanani is ok but not at the level of Pouraliganji and Hosseini. I'm not always comfortable when he gets to play or is subbed in instead of one of the two.

Cheshmi is fine if he's in form. I don't know if he is. The rest are fairly inexperienced.
I don't know what you have watched but Shoja was the best Iran defender in the last friendly. He is the only one who can actually build the play from the back, not inviting him we all know it was Queiroz issue with him, nothing to do with his football capacity.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I don't know what you have watched but Shoja was the best Iran defender in the last friendly. He is the only one who can actually build the play from the back, not inviting him we all know it was Queiroz issue with him, nothing to do with his football capacity.
When did Khalilzadeh ever have a biff with CQ?

Anyways, all our defenders who played under CQ know each other well and are used to play his defending tactics together. In the last friendly, it was obvious by Khalilzadeh's game that he's not used to that way of playing. We were playing against a weak team. Against a strong opponent he would have been a major liability.

I hope he raises his game and gets adjusted with the rest when it really matters and proves me wrong but from what I've seen from him so far, he's not TM material.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
By the way........here is a clear example of one of his bad defending mistakes in our last friendly game. Watch minute 1:49:11 in the video. They show the incident in slow motion several times so you can clearly see how he would go forward half way but then stop and turn his back from the Syrian player (as if he's scared of the shot) instead of fully challenging him! This alone lead to a scoring chance for the Syrians and had it been a stronger opponent they could have easily scored.

None of our defenders who were trained under CQ would act this stupidly in front of our own goal. and frankly I am very surprised why you think he had a good game, let alone being our best defender.

Last edited: