Legionnaires thread 2020-2021, News, Updates, Live Reports

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Taremi is better player than those three who played for Bayern but Bayern is a bigger club than Porto.
There are lot of factors involved in being a successful player and making it to the top...luck and circumstances play a huge part.

Still to this day the most disappointing event in Iran legionnaires history is Nasser Hejazi's transfer to Manchester United 😢.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
So what you're saying is that Taremi is more ambitious because he wants to switch clubs regardless the fact that Taremi hasn't reached the level that the previous three did by actually playing for the far superior club Bayern Munich. Additionally playing for Bayern is considered settling for playing in an easy club, and not being able to switch to the 3 or 4 clubs who could possibly maybe be considered bigger shows a lack of ambition. And to support this claim you have presented 0 actual evidence.

Also Bayern Munich finishing second in champions league somehow was not enough to earn them recognition as at least the second best team in the world that year.

Did I understand all of that right?
LOL, now I think you have twisted and turned everything the way you want it. :) I think I gave you a clear and strong evidence by pointing at the others' careers after Bayern. Sorry to say but staying at Bayern for 1-2 years and then leaving to a smaller club is not a high enough career goal.

Having said that, to be fair we all know Ali Daei was the most ambitious player we've had. When he was playing in Bayern, the Asian games were not played at FIFA dates and he had to leave his training with Bayern to play for TM. That in itself prevented him to show himself properly at Bayern hence no other big contracts came his way. But in the case of the others, the lack of big goals set in their minds, is clear!

Ps. Taremi with Porto has done more and reached higher (at personal level) than any of the 3 who played for the bigger club. Yet, he still aimes for more.

Last edited:

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
LOL, now I think you have twisted and turned everything the way you want it. :) I think I gave you a clear and strong evidence by pointing at the others' careers after Bayern. Sorry to say but staying at Bayern for 1-2 years and then leaving to a smaller club is not a high enough career goal.

Having said that, to be fair we all know Ali Daei was the most ambitious player we've had. When he was playing in Bayern, the Asian games were not played at FIFA dates and he had to leave his training with Bayern to play for TM. That in itself prevented him to show himself properly at Bayern hence no other big contracts came his way. But in the case of the others, the lack of big goals set in their minds, is clear!

Ps. Taremi with Porto has done more and reached higher (at personal level) than any of the 3 who played for the bigger club. Yet, he still aimes for more.
I don't think it is fair to consider being forced out of arguably the top club in the world indicative of a lack of ambition. Sometimes life doesn't go as one wishes it would, and one is forced to settle for the best option available.

Anyway, Taremi still has much to prove and there aren't even rumours linking him to a top club.

homaie

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2003
NY/NJ in USA
From Porto website.

GOAL OF THE 2020/21 UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
JUNE 4, 2021 9:37 AM
Bicycle kick taken by the Iranian forward against Chelsea received the most votes from the fans

The fantastic bicycle kick taken by Mehdi Taremi, in FC Porto’s victory over Chelsea (1-0), for the second-leg of the Quarter finals of the Champions League, was voted by fans as the best goal of the 2020/21 edition of the competition.

The goal scored by the Iranian forward was one of the ten selected by UEFA’s Technical Observers, with the list then being submitted to voting at the website of the organization that runs European football. Over 1.3 million votes were cast and the goal scored by Mehdi Taremi received more votes than all other goals combined.

It should be reminded that the goal scored by the number 9 gave the victory over Chelsea, in Seville, and meant the only defeat the team from London conceded in this entire edition of the Champions League, as Chelsea became the European champions on May 29th, after beating Manchester City, 1-0, in the final played at Estádio do Dragão.

Ali N.

Aug 3, 2004
From Porto website.

GOAL OF THE 2020/21 UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
JUNE 4, 2021 9:37 AM
Bicycle kick taken by the Iranian forward against Chelsea received the most votes from the fans

The fantastic bicycle kick taken by Mehdi Taremi, in FC Porto’s victory over Chelsea (1-0), for the second-leg of the Quarter finals of the Champions League, was voted by fans as the best goal of the 2020/21 edition of the competition.

The goal scored by the Iranian forward was one of the ten selected by UEFA’s Technical Observers, with the list then being submitted to voting at the website of the organization that runs European football. Over 1.3 million votes were cast and the goal scored by Mehdi Taremi received more votes than all other goals combined.

It should be reminded that the goal scored by the number 9 gave the victory over Chelsea, in Seville, and meant the only defeat the team from London conceded in this entire edition of the Champions League, as Chelsea became the European champions on May 29th, after beating Manchester City, 1-0, in the final played at Estádio do Dragão.
Great goal indeed! It's a goal of a lifetime for us iranians, he made us so proud... Thank you Taremi!

Jan 26, 2006
I want to see Jahanbakhsh get his coaching badges quickly as soon as he is finishing his playing career. Him more than anyone else.

It's not just the dedication he puts into training and technique, which you can tell just by hearing the things people say about him in training, and watching how he approaches the ball even if he lacks certain traits that our other players do.

It's also the inspiration provided by seeing a guy who worked so hard to get from Damash Gilan to top goals+assists in Holland for a smaller club. His professionalism, the way he conducts himself in interactions and interviews, his english language skills.

I don't want to see him embroiled in the politics of being a team manager, but in a (head) coaching role working one-to-one with the players and planting seeds in them which grow.