Liberal vs. Conservative

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
Khorus jaan - Do you agree in general form a conservative is more apt to take a stand - good or bad? And at the same time a liberal is more likely to flexible - again good or bad.

Let's hope you are correct - but let me warn again - the same thing that was tried and worked in Iran - is being tested in America. Promiss of wealth to the poor is the best way to control the needy and stage an uprising against any system of government.

Can you get a minority status in CA? can you get DBE (disadvantage business enterprise) status and all the advantages that comes with it?
US government openly names immigrants from a handful of countries, including Iran that will not be granted such benefits.

I don't understand your point about taking a stand vs. flexibility both are traits that could be good or bad depending on the circumstances. I agree that conservatives are less educated, narrow minded, and stubborn, which makes them more quick to judge and make decisions, but usually the wrong ones. Flexibility is a sign of an open mind, leading to making better decisions although it may take longer to get something done.

On your second point, I don't think anybody can and does seriously offer wealth to the poor. They can offer opportunity and help, but not wealth, not in this country.

As for minority status, I know we have some offerings, but you also have to keep in mind, we only have a relatively small presence in this country and only for the last 30 years in any significant way. Other minorities have been hear hundreds of years, so it will take time, but we are making headway, starting with such items as getting our own classification on the census, so we will get there.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
Incidentally, here is my chart. I seem to be in good company and actually a little bit surprised.

Economic Left/Right: -2.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.33

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2002
The funny thing is that "liberal" outside US has an entirely different meaning... In Canada it basically means centrists with no ideology. In Quebec it means "moderate conservative"!

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
Behrouz Jaan - thanx for the link - My intention was not economics, it was politics. I think it would be great to actualy disect some of the questions in that link. But I would tell you this;
The results of these tests can have a lot to do with how the questions are asked - for example:
To test the degree of NAtionalism - the test asks: Will you support your country wether it is right or wrong? A good percentage of people will answer "No" to this questions hence moving to the left - but the question can be posed as:
Will you stand up to defend your country? Then most would tilt to the right.

But thanks nevertheless - at least made some of the local boz think about conservative vs. liberal thinking.

Khorous Jaan -
The DBE law is quiet a significant descrimination against Iranians in USA. A firm owned by a Pakistani is entitled by law to get 20% +/_ of all government contracts (Fed, State, and Local) yet the same type and level of firm owned by an Iranian is not.

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
........conservatives are less educated
Khorous jaan - you may want to rethink that whole theory. One thing I assure you - people get more conservative as they get older and wiser.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
Khorous jaan - you may want to rethink that whole theory. One thing I assure you - people get more conservative as they get older and wiser.
We will just have to disagree on that. I for one, seem to get less conservative as I get older, and hopefully wiser. Like it or not, the conservative vs. liberal thinking in this country matches closely the political affiliation of those groups, and a quick look at the voting in the last 2-3 presidential elections validates my statement pretty clearly.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
We will just have to disagree on that. I for one, seem to get less conservative as I get older, and hopefully wiser. Like it or not, the conservative vs. liberal thinking in this country matches closely the political affiliation of those groups, and a quick look at the voting in the last 2-3 presidential elections validates my statement pretty clearly.
If only we could get you to stop liking the Lakers and the Cowboys... lol :15: