Lippi feels Capello loss

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Monday 17 December, 2007
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Marcello Lippi is disappointed that Fabio Capello will never lead Italy and fears that the language barrier may be a problem in England.

Capello was unveiled as England manager this week and has insisted that this four-and-a-half year role will be his last in football.

“He has always said, even years ago, that he wouldn’t be interested in coaching Italy,” Lippi said on Sky Sport Italia.

“I think that it’s a shame as we have missed out on something great.

“Now his most difficult task is to make a team out of a side that haven’t seemed like one over the last few years.

“They have players in their squad who play at the highest level and win competitions, so why can’t they do it for their country?

“But, the national side is more than just picking the best players from a country Sometimes you need to leave out great players who can’t work with those in their long shadows.”

The World Cup winning boss was himself in the frame, but he has always stressed his reluctance to work abroad and recently turned down the Birmingham City job.

Lippi signed off with a warning to Capello that he may struggle if he is unable to succeed in his plan to learn English in two months.

“The fact that you need to speak English is one of the reasons that made me turn down three or four offers from clubs there,” he explained.

“I have always said that a boss must try and speak to his players from the heart and to do that via a translator is impossible.”
[/FONT]

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/dec17o.html