Manchester United Information Thread

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

United fans , brace yourselves as United legend Nemanja Vidic is about to face Manchester United. :)

Vidic signed with Manchester United in January 2006
Vida helped United with 5 EPL titles , 3 UEFA Champions League Finals , 1 UEFA Champions League trophy , 1 FIFA Club World Cup , 3 Football League Cup trophies & 5 FA Community Shields.

Vidic signed with Internazionale in July 2014

vs

Manchester United vs Internazionale
Pre-season Friendly
Tuesday 29 July 2014
FedEx Field, Washington DC , USA
KO : 19:30 local time

Louis van Gaal will stick with 3-5-2 system

Louis van Gaal will continue with his new system for the rest of pre-season to give his Manchester United players as much time as possible to adapt before the new campaign begins.

Van Gaal has deployed a 3-5-2 formation in both games on tour so far, against LA Galaxy and Roma, albeit with almost completely different personnel in each of the four halves.

The manager has pointed out that he has other options but wants to stick with his preferred shape against Inter Milan on Tuesday and Real Madrid on Saturday.

"It’s difficult to change the systems and I had to start this system at once because we don’t have time to change it," van Gaal told media at a press conference in Washington DC.

"We only have three weeks before the season starts, so I have to use all my training sessions to implement this system.

"They know already the other system [4-4-2 or 4-3-3]; they have played that from their youth, so that’s easy. You saw that in the [Netherlands’] game against Mexico – I’m sorry to say that when we were 1-0 down I changed the system to 4-3-3 and then we beat them!"

Van Gaal confirmed Wilfried Zaha, who hasn’t yet seen any action in the States, will play up front in the second half of the International Champions Cup game against Inter.

"When we play this system, he has to play as a striker, otherwise he cannot play," said the boss.

"Young is another winger but he can play as wing-back. We shall see."

Left wing-back Luke Shaw trained away from the main group in Monday evening’s open session and van Gaal was asked why.

"Luke Shaw is okay," he confirmed. "I am a coach who looks at what individual players need and I think he needs to be fit, but he is not very fit.

"Therefore he cannot perform what I want, so first he has to be fit and has to train individually.

"I have spoken with him and we have made the programme. He agreed with me. I don’t know [when he will be fit], but I have heard good messages from [fitness coach Tony] Strudwick."

The boss was also asked about Javier Hernandez, who joined up with the squad in Los Angeles and played the final 20 minutes of the 3-2 win over Roma in Denver.

"He came later than the other players because the Dutch national team beat Mexico in the last 16!" joked van Gaal. "That's why he has to train. I believe he is fit.

"When he plays, he will play in the striker's position and there is great competition there with Rooney, Welbeck, van Persie, Keane, Zaha – a lot of players."

Link to MUTV footage of United trainining session. some fine first touch drills. :)

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...nchester-united-pre-season-tour-watch-7523683

United training pics at FedEx Field, the home of the NFL's Washington Redskins.

Vidic: I'm glad it's only a friendly

Nemanja Vidic has admitted in an exclusive interview with MUTV that it will be a surreal experience playing against Manchester United for Inter Milan when the two sides meet in Washington DC.

The former Reds skipper joined the Italians this summer after eight-and-a-half years at Old Trafford, but in only United's third game of Tour 2014 he finds himself lining up against his old club.

Nemanja sat down with MUTV before the match, screened live on club’s official channel in high definition, and talked about the big decision to leave United, how he is settling in at his new club and his determination learn the language.

Vida admits that he is glad that, although the game is in the keenly contested International Champions Cup, it is after all only a friendly.

"It's good that it’s a friendly match," he told MUTV in an interview aired on Tuesday. "I wouldn’t love to play against United in a competitive game. But it will be strange playing against players I trained with, against a club I was part of for so many years. In another way, I will be glad to see friends."

Asked if he would play like the all-action defender we all know and love, he added: "Listen, I would play against my brother as strong as I can!"

Watch the interview in MUTV’s Countdown to Kick-off show on Tuesday (see schedule for various timings) ahead of live match action in HD from 00:00 BST.

Last edited:

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Manchester United 0 Internazionale 0 (5-3 on penalties)
Pre-season Friendly
Tuesday 29 July 2014
FedEx Field, Washington DC , USA

Attendance : 61,238

Manchester United:

Lindegaard (De Gea 46); Smalling (Blackett 46), Jones (M Keane 46), Evans; Valencia (Shaw 46),Fletcher, Herrera (Cleverley 46), Young; Mata (Kagawa 46); Rooney (Zaha 46), Welbeck (Nani 46 (Hernandez 77)).
Subs not used: Lingard, Amos, James, W Keane, Johnstone.

Full match replay

http://livefootballvideo.com/fullma...pions-cup/manchester-united-vs-internazionale

[video=youtube;G6TtF6_s3Uw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6TtF6_s3Uw[/video]

Van Gaal hails "best match so far"

Louis van Gaal felt Manchester United’s performance in beating Inter Milan on Tuesday was the best of his three games in charge so far.

The Reds overcame the Italian outfit 5-3 on penalties after a goalless 90 minutes in Washington DC, to stay top of the International Champions Cup group with five points.

Van Gaal made eight changes at the break but both his sides were dominant in defence, with goalkeepers Anders Lindegaard and David De Gea virtual spectators.

"I am very pleased," the manager said. "I think we played by far the best match of our sequence of three.

"They only had one shot on our goal and that was given by the referee [a free-kick], but I think we also created six or seven chances, so then it is seven against one.

"I was very pleased with our ball possession; it was much better than the other matches. And I think also the positions were better covered.

"So tonight I was very pleased with the performance of my players, both in the first half and the second half."

United were successful with all five spot-kicks in front of 61,000 fans in the US capital and van Gaal admitted the squad had been working on them in training.

"We practised penalties yesterday and also the sequence," he said. "That is why De Gea was our goalkeeper in the second half, because he is the best of the four at penalties.

"Fletcher hit the post in training so it's also a little bit of luck, but we deserved the victory."

United’s defence – containing a variety of players – have now kept two clean sheets in three games so far on Tour 2014, presented by Aon.

Van Gaal continued: "The first match was zero goals, the second match was a fantastic goal by Pjanic, an error from the goalkeeper and a penalty given by the referee, and today again zero goals.

"So we are doing well but we are looking for defenders, because a lot of defenders have gone. We have to replace them but I also like Michael Keane and Tyler Blackett."

Shinji Kagawa played in the playmaker role in the second half after replacing Juan Mata, having also been used as a holding midfielder in the previous two games.

"I know him from Borussia Dortmund and he played in the no.10 position," van Gaal added. "I wanted to try him in the no.6 or no.8 position in our system in the first two matches, and then I also gave him a chance at no.10 because he wanted to play in that position. He did it much better than in the two matches before."

Of second-half substitutes Luke Shaw and Wilfried Zaha, the boss said: "Luke is working very hard and he was lucky because normally I would have played our friend Reece James, but he was a little bit injured.

"And so I asked him in spite of a very heavy training session this morning and I think he did very well.

"I was pleased with Wilfried's performance but we have to wait and see. He has a lot of competition with the other strikers."

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Manchester United's pre-season USA Tour will come to an end this Saturday at The Big House in Ann Arbor , Michigan.

vs

Manchester United vs Real Madrid
Pre-season Friendly
Saturday 2 August 2014
Michigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, Michigan , USA
Capacity : 109,901
KO : 16:06 local time , 21:06 BST

Van Gaal relishes European challenge

Louis van Gaal is grateful for the opportunity to test his Manchester United side against the cream of Europe in the International Champions Cup.

The Reds face Real Madrid on Saturday after posting victories against Serie A giants AS Roma and Inter Milan and the prospect of meeting the Champions League holders is an exciting one for the Dutch coach.

Another positive result against the Spanish side will not only clinch a place in the final of the competition but continue to boost morale ahead of the 2014/15 Barclays Premier League season.

"I’m very pleased," van Gaal told MUTV. "It’s the third match and we make big steps. I’m very pleased. Of course, it gives confidence to the players and that’s the most important thing. We are playing a new system and they adapt very quickly.

"Furthermore, we are up against AS Roma, second in the Italian league, and Inter, fifth in the Italian league. It is not a little club that we have to beat and now it's Real Madrid. It’s nice to play against such teams and that you can show that you are at least equal."

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Manchester United 3 Real Madrid 1
Pre-season Friendly
Saturday 2 August 2014
Michigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, Michigan , USA

Attendance : 109,318 (record breaking attendance for a football match in USA)

United goals by Ashley Young (2) & Chicharito

Full match replay

http://www.footballorgin.com/2014/08/pre-season-friendly-match-manchester_3.html

[video=youtube;8m5fzkiDIuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m5fzkiDIuc[/video]

Video link to Louis van Gaal post match interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ5X3vUHvcE

Van Gaal hails United tour's impact

Louis van Gaal spoke proudly of Manchester United’s big impact in America after the Reds beat Real Madrid in front of a national record crowd for a ‘soccer’ game.

The Dutchman was clearly delighted to have beaten the European champions at the vast Michigan Stadium, where 109,318 fans turned up to see Ashley Young score twice and Javier Hernandez add a third goal as United booked a place in Monday’s International Champions Cup final.

“Three hundred thousand fans have watched us already and now we’re in the Miami final, it [the total] will be even more than that,” said van Gaal in his post-match press conference.

“Broadcasters all over the world should show the first goal [by Young] – it was a fantastic goal by Manchester United. I think all the team touched the ball [in the build-up]. People could have come to the stadium just for that goal, I think.”

If van Gaal’s men were to go on and win the cup on Monday, the achievement of winning a pre-season trophy in his first month in charge would follow similar successes with his clubs in Germany and the Netherlands. “But the impact of this tour would be bigger,” he reflected.

Assessing the overall display, van Gaal said: “It's a very good result for us and it gives confidence to the players. I changed players in the second half but in spite of that, we scored again.

“This wasn’t a friendly - I had the feeling that Real Madrid didn't want to lose, which is why [Cristiano] Ronaldo came on earlier than Carlo [Ancelotti] said [he would]. But we won and deserved to win.”

Looking ahead to his first meeting with arch-rivals Liverpool as United manager, van Gaal said: “[To have us both clubs in the final] is good for English football, that's very important.

“It’s only preparation time (pre-season) but it's better to win than to lose.”

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Great to see Fletch back from his serious illness and doing well in pre-season. :)

Darren Fletcher vs Real Madrid , 2 August 2014

[video=youtube;P6mHNpLV7SU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6mHNpLV7SU[/video]

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Manchester United vs Liverpool
International Champions Cup 2014 Final
Monday 4 August 2014
Sun Life Stadium, Miami Gardens, Florida , USA
Official capacity : 76,100
KO : 20:00 local time , 01:00 BST

Fletcher and Evans relish Liverpool rivalry

Although there are over 4,000 miles between Miami and the North West of England, Manchester United stars Darren Fletcher and Jonny Evans believe the International Champions Cup final with Liverpool will retain all of its traditional intensity and fervour.

The Reds finished top of Group A thanks to three consecutive victories over AS Roma, Inter Milan and reigning European champions Real Madrid. Those results set up a showpiece finale at the Sun Life Stadium, where Brendan Rodgers’ Merseysiders will provide the opposition.

Although the match is officially a friendly, both players acknowledge that encounters with Liverpool are far from cordial affairs and neither is prepared to take the game lightly. Fletcher, who hopes to recover from a slight calf injury in time for kick-off, says United expect to end the tour with a win.

“It’s Manchester United versus Liverpool, it doesn't matter if it's pre-season,” the Scot told reporters. “That game takes care of itself and we want to go on and win. It's disappointing where we finished in the league last season and, as a result of that, Liverpool, City and Chelsea all finished above us. It was disappointing and, this season, we all want to show what we are capable of. Hopefully we can do that.”

Expanding on the players’ renewed confidence on tour, Fletch said: “We are just enjoying it. The manager expects a lot from us and he thinks we have got the ability to do it. He demands a lot, but the players have responded and we are enjoying playing in a new system and under him.

“We have got a fantastic team spirit. We were talking about it the other night among ourselves - we are all pulling in the right direction and we all want the best for Manchester United. We realise some experienced players have gone and it's up to us to come together to get us back up there.”

Evans, who is preparing for his eighth season in the first-team, is similarly motivated by facing Liverpool and cannot wait for kick-off in Miami. The Northern Irishman is also adamant that his team-mates have a point to prove after last term and are hoping to thrive under the tutelage of Louis van Gaal.

“We are getting more confident with each game,” he claims. “It's starting to become more natural for us. He has worked us hard but there has been a reason for that. There have been a lot of training sessions, sometimes double sessions, but it also has been demanding on the brain.

“We have hunger and we have got a point to prove,” he claims. “The manager has given us belief right from the early days and we have managed to get the wins despite the calibre of opposition that we are playing against.

“It will be a big game. It is a quick turnaround because there's just two days between games, so the preparation started straight after the Madrid game in the changing room. Everyone was getting focused so that everything is right.

“We do want to win and the manager has been on at us from the start saying he wants to win every game and, although it adds another couple of extra days onto the trip, we want to get into the winning habit.”

United training pics in Miami , Florida

Last edited:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Van Gaal is right in one respect playing in Denver can be rough because we all know that altitude affects your performance and if you are not in tip to shape, it will beat you down in the 2nd half. Anyways I wouldn't read too much into it because it's a preseason game it is a glorified practice it just shows where your team stacks up and they still won 3-2. At least you guys didn't lose to Monaco hahaha.

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Mashdi - what do you know about this new keeper we signed? Vanja Milinkovic...
Well , he's 17 years old from Nemanja's land of Serbia , already 2 meters tall and growing. :)

He did trials at Man United last spring and passed his medical with Man United in June. he'll stay at his club FK Vojvodina for another season and come to United next year.

He has played for Serbia national teams at youth levels. i haven't seen any of his games yet but i'm hoping to watch him in action for Manchester United Academy matches next year. he'll be competing with several Man United Academy keepers including George Dorrington and Dean Henderson.

Last edited:

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Manchester United 3 Liverpool 1
International Champions Cup 2014 Final
Tuesday 5 August 2014
Sun Life Stadium, Miami Gardens, Florida , USA
Attendance: 51,014

United goals by Rooney , Mata & Lingard.

Full match replay

[video=youtube;SG9afSsU26I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG9afSsU26I[/video]

Van Gaal: Our spirit is fantastic

Louis van Gaal admits he would have liked more time to work with the players not on Manchester United's hugely successful trip to America but says the "spirit is fantastic" in his squad ahead of the start of an eagerly-anticipated new season.

Van Gaal can reflect on a triumphant start to life as United boss during Tour 2014, presented by Aon, in which he implemented a new tactical system and won five matches, against LA Galaxy, AS Roma, Inter Milan, Real Madrid and Liverpool, the latter delivering the International Champions Cup.

"The spirit is fantastic," he told MUTV. "I enjoy working with this group because the players want to show themselves as a team and that is very important. When I see the second half [against Liverpool], after a very weak first half, I think we are doing great but it's better to do it from the first minute.

"The way we have done this tour is a big surprise for me. I'm not used to that. It's amazing the impact that we have in the United States. It is amazing that more than 350,000 fans [have watched us out here] because more than half I think were Manchester United fans. Unbelievable. They were all in red. Beautiful."

It's not just the fans that have impressed the Dutchman. The Reds have looked in great shape despite his limited time in charge, but he is mindful he has not even worked with some of his charges who are back at the Aon Training Complex.

Although the friendly with Valencia will present him with more opportunities to test his squad, van Gaal appreciates the start of the Barclays Premier League campaign is rapidly approaching.

"I wish that we start a little bit later," he added. "For example, Marouane Fellaini, Adnan Januzaj and Nick Powell are not here. Robin van Persie started yesterday so we are not ready yet. But, okay, we will have to train in the season more than ever to make sure we are prepared."

The boss is planning some frank discussions with the players about the future on his return to Manchester as he shapes his squad for 2014/15 before the transfer deadline at the end of the month.

"Obviously, I have seen a lot and that's good," he asserted. "Because then I can give my opinion and also what their perspectives are in the future and then they can choose.

"We have to be honest. We have to give advice to the players now at this moment and not at the end of August. Then we can't change anymore and they don't have a choice. Of course it's difficult to say something after two weeks but I think you have to say something."

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

All 16 goals in 5 matches scored by Manchester United in USA tour.the audio is out of sync.

[video=youtube;neEpbctTERU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neEpbctTERU[/video]

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
A good game tonight to kick start the U-21 season.

Manchester City U-21 vs Manchester United U-21
Manchester Senior Cup Final
Thursday 7 August 2014
Ewen Fields
KO : 19:00 BST

Live broadcast by Manchester United TV- HD

Manchester Senior Cup final preview

Warren Joyce , Manager of Manchester United Reserves/U21

The Manchester Senior Cup is up for grabs when United face City at Hyde FC's Ewen Fields on Thursday night.

The Reds have won the competition 27 times with Warren Joyce's side lifting the trophy for the past three seasons. Qualification was actually secured for the final way back in September 2013 with Adnan Januzaj and Wilfried Zaha among the scorers in a 4-0 win against Bolton Wanderers.

After missing out on silverware last term when being beaten by Chelsea in the Barclays Under-21 Premier League final, the Reserves will be determined to come out on top in the local affair against City's Elite Development Squad.

United looked in good shape when defeating Barnsley 2-1 in a final pre-season friendly with midfielder Josh Harrop scoring both goals.

"It's been a bit of a gap," explained Warren Joyce to MUTV. "We would maybe have liked another game in between but we have to prepare in training and look forward to the City game."

Angelo Henriquez missed the Oakwell victory due to injury and Donald Love could be a doubt as he made only a brief appearance before being withdrawn soon after entering the fray as a second-half substitute.

"Donald has had one or two problems in pre-season," explained Joyce. "He's not really got back as he was injured for a long time last year and has not really done the same work as the other lads. He's not been able to train day in and day out like the others have done and is still recovering from the back end of last season."

Joyce utilised his full squad in the friendlies but is likely to field a strong side for the final with Tom Thorpe impressing as captain and Joe Rothwell and Ben Pearson working well in tandem in midfield. James Wilson came off the bench at Barnsley and will be an option to start as he looks to build on an outstanding 2013/14.

Meanwhile, right-sided star Saidy Janko feels it is always imperative to triumph in the derby.

"I think it’s an important game," he stressed. "We need to win – for ourselves and the club as well."

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

James Wilson

Manchester City U-21 1 Manchester United U-21 4
Manchester Senior Cup Final
Thursday 7 August 2014

United: J.Pereira; Vermijl, Thorpe, McNair, Varela (C.Evans 46); Janko, Pearson, Rothwell (Harrop 46), A.Pereira, Lawrence; Wilson (Willock 88).
Subs not used: O'Hara, Goss.

All 4 United goals by James Wilson.
James Wilson was selected for United's pre-season USA tour but he was dropped due to an injury in training.

[video=youtube;Lhnp1Je2_SQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhnp1Je2_SQ[/video]

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Ooooohhhhhh Robin van Persie!!!
Ooooohhhhhh Robin van Persie!!!

[video=youtube;Bf8ueU89T_0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf8ueU89T_0[/video]

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Last Manchester United pre-season match is tonight. :)

Manchester United vs Valencia
Pre-season friendly
Tuesday 12 August 2014
Old Trafford , Manchester
KO : 19:30 BST

Live coverage by Manchester United TV starting from 18:30 with Jim Rosenthal, Bryan Robson and Ron Atkinson in the studio.

Trio set to miss Valencia friendly

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has appeared to rule World Cup trio Adnan Januzaj, Marouane Fellaini and Robin van Persie out of Tuesday's friendly against Valencia.

The Dutchman will walk out at Old Trafford for the first time as Reds boss and is anticipating a tough test against the Spanish outfit.

"The players have to be fit and the first thing you can do is be fit," he explained to MUTV. "I don't think they are fit after one week of training sessions. Surely not, when you compare it with players I have already trained.

"It is more difficult as they are not as the same level as the players we have trained already and have already played 45 minutes, 60 minutes or 90 minutes. So that is difficult. They came later, like Januzaj, Fellaini and van Persie so it is difficult to start at the same level. So we have to adjust and that is difficult."

Valencia come into the match in good form themselves after winning the Emirates Cup recently.

"They have also won a tournament in Emirates Stadium," added van Gaal. "They are very good. I think, otherwise, they would not beat those competitors. It's very difficult for us but it's better to play against good opponents rather than weak opponents and we win, for example, 7-0."