Pre-season friendly
Tuesday 12 August 2014

United goals by Fletcher & Fellaini.

Highlights

http://footyroom.com/manchester-united-2-1-valencia-2014-08/

Full match replay

[video=youtube;2KWhcTv8CYM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KWhcTv8CYM[/video]

Boss confident ahead of opener

Louis van Gaal believes Manchester United are approaching the season opener against Swansea City with great confidence.

The Reds rounded off a superb pre-season campaign with a 2-1 victory over Valencia in the manager's first game in charge at Old Trafford. However, the Dutchman was not satisfied with the performance, even if he accepts the success, acquired with Marouane Fellaini's injury-time effort, is a good start to life in England.

"I enjoyed it," he said of his welcome from the fans. "Coming onto the pitch, the fans are shouting and screaming your name. It's also a big pressure.

"They expect a lot and you can't change everything in three or four weeks. And the players can't change either. We have to wait and see and develop. We need time but we have won every game up until now and that's fantastic when you see our opponents. We have great confidence to play against Swansea City."

"I think it was our worst match to date," he informed MUTV in an exclusive post-match interview. "The boys wanted to show the capacity we showed in the United States perhaps a bit too much. There were a lot of wrong passes, wrong choices and we didn't press so well.

"But, in spite of that, I think Valencia are a very good team, very comfortable on the ball, so it's not so easy to press. In spite of that, we have dominated the game - only for 15 minutes in the second half we weren't dominating. In the end, we were the winners because we were fighting until the last minute. That's a good signal, I believe."

The boss was pleased with the impact of goal hero Fellaini and Adnan Januzaj but feels there is room for improvement all round.

"At this moment, we are fitter than our opponent," he declared. "You could see that. But it was also the changes. Fellaini and Januzaj have only been with us training for one week. They can't play any more minutes than they did tonight.

"I had a lot of young players. They did reasonably well but they could do better, I believe. But it's a start. It's not easy to play at Old Trafford for the first time so I'm pleased we've won the game against a very good team. Of course, I think we have to make better choices with our passing - we didn't do that and that's a pity.

"We have a lot of injuries now. Don't forget, Jonny Evans was injured, Luke Shaw was injured, Antonio Valencia was injured. These are three defenders. We have to wait to see if they can play on Saturday. The main thing is that we have won, despite playing our worst game."

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Manchester United opens the new Premier League season today at Old Trafford. :)

Manchester United vs Swansea
EPL week 1
Saturday 16 August 2014
Old Trafford , Manchester
KO : 12:45 BST

Live broadcast by a host of TV outlets across the globe including BT Sport in the UK.

Link to match preview

http://www.manutd.com/en/Fixtures-A...anchester-United-v-Swansea-match-preview.aspx

Van Gaal handles injured absentees

Louis van Gaal believes his squad is ready for the start of the Barclays Premier League season as Old Trafford prepares to welcome Swansea City for the Manchester United manager's first competitive game in charge.

The Dutchman is being forced to contend with a number of injury concerns after Michael Carrick was sidelined soon after the boss' arrival at the club. New signing Luke Shaw is also out for a month with a hamstring strain but van Gaal insists he has sufficient cover to approach Saturday's opener with confidence.

Robin van Persie is not fit enough to feature after his World Cup exertions with the Netherlands and Danny Welbeck is another forward out of action.

When asked about the injured players, van Gaal replied: "Sam Johnstone - the goalkeeper. Antonio Valencia, Shaw and Evans - three defenders. Welbeck. I believe that is it. Van Persie? No. He has to train. I've said that before.

"We have analysed Shaw and it is difficult to lay a finger on it. It is difficult to look for the solution but there are a lot of reasons. After the World Cup, all the players are coming back at different moments and it is very difficult to train. We have the travel, jet-lag and a lot of matches in 14 days. Another reason is the amount of training sessions but we are doing half of what I have done with the other clubs so I cannot assume we have done that wrong.

"We have played in the US with Reece James and Ashley Young in that position, so it is very well covered. I am very confident and I am not nervous. We have players injured and I am not nervous. We have beaten them all until now but tomorrow is the match that counts."

Rooney demands: We must do better

Wayne Rooney says there can be no compromise: Manchester United must improve on last season's showing in the Barclays Premier League.

Louis van Gaal's side get the new season started at lunchtime on Saturday as Swansea visit Old Trafford, and a vast improvement on a disappointing seventh-place league finish last time out is at the forefront of Rooney's mind.

"It has to be better," he said. "There are no two ways about it. We have to improve a lot on last year. We know that as a team and we have been working hard [in pre-season] to make sure we're going to get the right results and I'm sure it will be better.

"We are not a club who will settle for finishing in Europe. We're a club that wants to win trophies and for us it's only a good season if you do that."

The first step towards that would be a winning start against Swansea, and Rooney says that is a must. "It's very important to get a good start," he told Premier League Productions. "We've got a run of games where we feel we can do well, we can pick up maximum points. It's vital we get three points in the first game, then you can pick up momentum from there."

United won six out of six matches in pre-season and look invigorated by new boss van Gaal, of whom Rooney says: "His way of thinking and on the training pitch he demands that every day [everything] is done to the highest level. You can see exactly why he has won trophies wherever he has been. He is a winner, you see that, but he also wants to keep improving and keep his team improving.

"I'm sure he will be very successful as a manager here and that's down to the players as well to take his ideas into the games. I think he can be excellent for us."

Louis van Gaal pre-match press conference

[video=youtube;vzN6_gA9JKg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzN6_gA9JKg[/video]

Last edited:

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Manchester United 1 Swansea 2
EPL week 1
Saturday 16 August 2014
Old Trafford , Manchester

United goal by Wayne Rooney.

Link to watch highlights

http://www.footballtarget.com/2014/...ted-1-2-swansea-city-swans-stun-old-trafford/

Link to watch full match replay

http://www.footballorgin.com/2014/08/manchester-united-v-swansea-premier.html

Van Gaal: We must learn

Louis van Gaal has urged his Manchester United team to learn from the opening-day defeat to Swansea City.

The Reds' new campaign got off to a bad start when the Welsh side earned a 2-1 triumph and debutant Jesse Lingard joined an injury list that now extends into double figures. The manager switched a 3-5-2 formation into a 4-4-1-1 for the second half and Wayne Rooney equalised with an overhead kick but United will now be playing catch-up when travelling to Sunderland next Sunday.

"We are not reaching our level," van Gaal told MUTV. "That's the main thing. Because of that, we didn't play as a team. Nevertheless, we had chances to win this game. We gave a lot of space away in the second half. We played with more pressing. They scored one goal out of two chances in the second half.

"It's more than disappointing for the fans. They are expecting a lot because we have won every game in pre-season. Then you lose the first match. That's disappointing for the fans, also for the players and also for me. It's a very bad day for us.

"We make steps and you have to learn from your steps. We are not the champions. Swansea are not champions because they have beaten us. At the end of the season, we will know who is champion and who has learned from the steps we've made."

Van Gaal will have words with his players about a nervous performance but stressed the equaliser was not down to a change in formation as it came from a Juan Mata corner.

"It was not because of the other system," he asserted. "It was a corner kick. But it was a wonderful goal and at that moment I thought we should win. When you don't score the chances – we had more than Swansea – you can lose and we did lose.

"That I have said at half-time [some players looked nervous]. I can imagine. The expectation is high, not just for the coach but the players as well. You're playing for Manchester United. That, we'll discuss."

Q&A: Louis van Gaal press briefing

Louis van Gaal gave a detailed debrief of the 2-1 Barclays Premier League defeat to Swansea in his post-match press conference. The full transcript, speaking to the world's media, is below..
That wasn't the start you expected, were you more disappointed with the performance than the result?

Of course, it is very disappointing for the players, the fans, for me, and the staff. That, you already know. When you have preparation time and you win everything and then you lose your first match, it cannot be worse, I believe. Also it is not good because we have built up a lot of confidence and then it shall be smashed down because of this result. But we have to know that it is only one game of many games. You shall not be the champion at this moment. You shall be the champion in May. That is what has happened today.

Have you seen enough up until now that, with this group of players, you couldn't be a champion or do you think...

[Responding to signing players] ...Yes, but that is not the question because I know that before this game. Also, with other players it is always a question of if we can play like a team and if we can reach the level [I demand]. Today, we didn't reach that level. Then you cannot play as a team as easily. We saw that today. In spite of that, we could have won. But when you don't play like a team, when you miss chances, then it is very difficult because every team shall create possibilities or chances against you.

Was this result a reminder to the supporters what a big job you have at this club?

I have said that in former press conferences because, with our wins in the United States and against Valencia at Old Trafford, the expectations are so high. That was something I saw in the first half. I saw a lot of players looking very nervous, making the wrong choices and that is a pity. But also these players have to forget that expectation because that is Manchester United. You have to cope with that pressure. That is also a process.

Do you feel you need new faces at the club?

Yes, but I have thought that before this match, so it is no different. When we were playing in the US, I thought the same. I know in what positions we need better players. But you have to buy only when the player can fulfil the way of playing that I ask. We have to wait and see. But we could have won today.

Ideally, how many players would you like to sign before the end of the transfer window?

No, I don't discuss that with you. I am sorry. I said that yesterday, I believe you were also at the press conference because I remember your face. So I said the same.

But you do need players...

That is the wrong tendency of this press conference. I thought that in the United States of America, but you make a relationship with this match. No, it is not like that.

You changed formation at half-time. Do you think you will change back [to a back three] in the next game?

That is the kind of question I had at the World Championships from my Dutch friends. I think that we can do it with both systems. You have seen the first half that we were not playing very well and we were behind. That is why I changed the system – to the system Manchester United have always played – then I changed it again. I do everything to win. To my players, I said it in the dressing room, I cannot say you did not give your utmost. Unbelievable - what a fantastic mentality they have shown. But reaching the level is different. Not only running but also using your brain. Then you can play like a team and, at that, we have failed today.

What did you think of Swansea's performance?

Swansea did not have so much pressure [on them]. They have defended and they played the counter-attack. You have seen that. That is always easier than to make the game. That shall always be like that. The defensive team, when they are scoring or when they are keeping a 0-0 scoreline, they have a lot of possibilities. Swansea did not have a lot of chances but they scored two goals. That, in football, is always the decider.

What did you say during the half-time break?

During the break, I always look at the future. I thought only about the change of system and how they have to act in that system. That is what you have to do, you have to help your players. I mentioned that the pressure was maybe high for them, but I saw also a great mentality in the second half. It was not enough today because we didn't reach our level. That's the main reason why we failed.

Will Robin van Persie be available next week?

That is also a question because we have lost. I think players have to be fit. I could not use Fellaini or Januzaj from the first minute because they came back late from the World Cup. Van Persie was a week later than these guys. I think always you have to be fit. But have been training with Robin now for three weeks. So the point that he can come into the selection is closer.

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
United reach agreement with Sporting for Rojo

Manchester United is delighted to announce it has reached an agreement with Sporting Lisbon to sign defender Marcos Rojo, subject to a medical and agreeing personal terms.

A further announcement will be made when the process is complete.

Marcos Rojo , Goals & Skills with Argentina

[video=youtube;Q-ZyNjm-_CU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ZyNjm-_CU[/video]

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
"Marcos is a very gifted defender. He has played at the highest level in world football and can play either as a central defender or left-back. He has ability, physical strength and a willingness to learn that means he has a very bright future ahead of him. He had a very strong World Cup and has been playing in Europe for a couple of years now. He is a very good addition to the team."

- Louis van Gaal , Manchester United manager

Rojo: I will give everything for United

Marcos Rojo gave his exclusive first interview to MUTV, saying that he has joined the world's biggest club and promises to give everything on the pitch...

Welcome to Manchester United. How does it feel to be here and to be signing for this club?

Thanks very much. I'm very happy as this is a big step forward in my career and it's amazing to be joining the biggest club in the world.

What do you know about the club, the history, the players?

I know a lot about the club because I always follow the Premier League and Manchester United were always my team because they were the biggest and the best. Juan Sebastian Veron played for United and was a great player and I always watched his progress. United were always my club.

There has been a lot of talk and speculation about the move. How have the last few days been for you?

It's taken a while for everything to get sorted out because these transfers can be very difficult, but I'm so happy to be here at Manchester United.

How did you feel when you heard for the first time that Louis van Gaal wanted to sign you?

It was unbelievable. We played against his team in the World Cup and they were excellent. When I heard that he wanted me to come here I was very happy but also very proud and very excited to get an opportunity at a club like this.

What do you think your best qualities are as a footballer?

I always give everything I have in a game and I leave everything out there on the pitch. I play each game as if it could be my last. That's the most important thing in my philosophy.

What do you think you can achieve here, with the team and also on a personal level?

I think the most important thing is that I keep growing as a player and keep improving. I have worked really hard for this opportunity and now I am at the biggest club in the world and I want to win trophies.

Finally, there are a lot of people here at the club now who can speak Spanish so that should help you settle in and get used to your new surroundings...

Absolutely, that will certainly help me as I get used to life in this country and will help me get settled into the team as quickly as possible.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x245cc8_rojo_sport

Last edited:

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Dons hero: Alex Ferguson, Aberdeen manager, on the shoulders of fans and
holding the European Cup Winners Cup on arrival back in Aberdeen

Alex McLeish recalls Pittodrie tales of Sir Alex

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...recalls-pittodrie-tales-of-sir-alex-1-3517610

Alex McLeish endorses a book charting Sir Alex Fergusons rise to prominence at
Aberdeen. Picture: SNS

One is enjoying his retirement, apart from when he has to sit and witness how hard Manchester United are finding it to replace him. The other is itching to get back into football management and is currently considering his options.

A new book about Sir Alex Ferguson prompted Alex McLeish to contemplate his former manager’s place in the game while addressing his own desire to return to management.

Fergie Rises, by Michael Grant, is a masterful re-telling of how Ferguson was “made” at Aberdeen. This is how Ferguson himself put it in a comment printed in capital letters on the book’s dust jacket: “There is no doubt that Aberdeen made me as a manager”.

Who is anyone to argue? Certainly not McLeish, a red-headed firebrand on the field but who found himself meekly surrendering to his then manager’s wishes after boldly marching into his office to explain why he was considering signing for Spurs.

Steve Archibald, who was one of the few to stand up to Ferguson before the striker left Aberdeen for White Hart Lane, was a prime agitator in this episode. He was forever phoning up McLeish to convey how highly Terry Venables rated the Aberdeen centre-half, who was out of the contract in the days when out of contract meant very little.

“Stevie Archibald was always on to me, saying ‘you’re out of contract and you’re the missing link for us’,” recalled McLeish yesterday. He always harboured a desire to sample the English game and so he resolved to speak to Ferguson about moving on. However, he wanted first to go on holiday so he could prepare what he was going to say. Ferguson did not give him the opportunity.

“Fergie told me to come and see him at the end of the season. He wanted me to come in before he went on holiday. I told the missus – ‘get ready, we’re going to London’. He said: ‘what’s this about you being
unsettled?’ I turned it to money, instead of standing my
ground as Archibald did every day of his life.

“I should have said that I wanted a new challenge, but instead I told him the new offer wasn’t that great. He said: ‘I’ll give you another fiver – you and Willie Miller are bleeding this club dry! Now sign here’. I went out and said to Gill: ‘I think I’ve just signed again’.”

And so he had. McLeish remained at Pittodrie and was a stalwart performer for 16 years while Ferguson left Aberdeen in November 1986, having helped the Pittodrie side become the pre-eminent club in Scotland and one of the finest in Europe. Even Ferguson was unable to prise McLeish away on a rare occasion when he had to admit defeat.

“He had an agreement with [Aberdeen chairman] Dick Donald at Aberdeen that he wouldn’t come back for me, Willie or Jim Leighton,” recalled McLeish. “He’d asked Aberdeen to keep him informed about Joe Miller because he liked wee Joe. And then they sold Joe to Celtic so he said: ‘right, all bets are off’.

“He phoned me and told me he was going to try to sign me. A story appeared about me being linked with Spurs. I chapped [Ferguson’s successor] Ian Porterfield’s door to ask if there was anything in it. He told me there wasn’t, but that Manchester United had enquired. So he was honest with me.

“He told me if it was making me and my family happy, he would not stand in my way but it wasn’t up to him – it was up to the board. At the time even when your contract was finished, you were still held captive by your club. But I still had a year of my contract to go. I think United went to £750,000 and he came back to me and told me that Aberdeen were asking too much for a guy of my age – I 
was 28.

“Two weeks later, he bought Gary Pallister for £2m from Middlesbrough. But he was only 21, so there wasn’t any kind of animosity with regards to that.

“It would have been easy nowadays,” sighed McLeish. “The number of managers in England who have said to me: ‘I tried to buy you… and I didn’t know about any of them!’”

McLeish is making up for lost time. Having started his management career in Scotland with Motherwell, Hibs and then Rangers, he is of the opinion that south of the border, where he has had spells at Birmingham City, Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest, is the place to be. He has received offers, from abroad as well as the United Kingdom, but admits that the longer you are out, the harder it is to get back in. The constantly churning world of football management makes Ferguson’s achievements seem all the greater, someone suggested.

“He launched Aberdeen into the stratosphere,” agreed McLeish, who added that some players at Pittodrie who expected to be relieved when Ferguson left found their performances fell away without his constant hectoring.

“There have been hundreds of great managers in this country – and then there is him,” added McLeish.

“It would be hard to see anyone emulate what he did or beat it. He was a one-off.”

l Fergie Rises: How Britain’s Greatest Football Manager was Made at Aberdeen by Michael Grant is published this week by Aurum Press, £18.99

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Next Manchester United match is today.

Sunderland v Manchester United
EPL week 2
Sunday 24 August 2014
KO : 16:00 BST

Louis van Gaal explains United's injury problems

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has provided an update on the list of injuries at the club, saying he could have as many as seven players missing for the Reds' trip to Sunderland.

While the return of Robin van Persie and Antonio Valencia will be a welcome boost for the Dutch coach after the opening-day defeat to Swansea, knocks to midfielders Marouane Fellaini and Ander Herrera have given van Gaal another selection headache.

"We have seven injuries, so that is a lot," he said. "In my career as a trainer-coach, we've never had seven injuries in my selection, and the last game it was nine, so we are progressing! But okay, seven injuries, plus Fellaini who has an ankle problem, so we'll have to wait and see because [on Saturday] he'll have a scan. It is always better to do that after two or three days and not at once. I cannot say anything about that - but he is injured, yes.

"Herrera is also injured, so we have four midfielders out. [Michael] Carrick, Herrera, Fellaini and [Jesse] Lingard. So we are a little bit thin in midfield and it's a problem that I have. I already explained at the last press conference that it is very difficult when you have a trip to the United States to be prepared for the season.

"[Jonny] Evans has recovered and trained today for the first time, so he's not available for selection yet. Valencia is back. With Herrera - it is too early to say because it happened [on Thursday] in the training session and it's still too early for him to have a scan. The same thing as Fellaini."

A portion of Louis van Gaal Friday presser with new Manchester United player Marcos Rojo

[video=youtube;ZWBPyELqoBI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWBPyELqoBI[/video]

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Sunderland 1 Manchester United 1
EPL week 2
Sunday 24 August 2014

United goal by Juan Mata.

Highlights

http://www.footytube.com/video/Sunderland-vs-Manchester-United-291185?ref=lchan_results

Full match replay

http://www.footballorgin.com/2014/08/premier-league-2014-2015-sunderland-v.html

Van Gaal rues missing tempo

Louis van Gaal felt a lack of tempo, caused by wayward passing, was the reason Manchester United were unable to beat Sunderland on Sunday.
The Reds were held to a 1-1 draw in the Barclays Premier League encounter at the Stadium of Light after Jack Rodwell headed home from a corner to cancel out Juan Mata’s early tap-in.

Van Gaal was happier with his side’s display in the second half, which featured the introduction of Danny Welbeck and Adnan Januzaj off the bench, but was frustrated by his side’s play in the final third.

"In the first half we played an equal match with Sunderland," the boss told Sky Sports. "We didn’t create much other than the first goal, which was fantastic.

"We have already warned our players not to give set-pieces away and we gave a lot away; then they scored from one, which is disappointing.

"In the second half we played much better but we could have created more. We missed too many passes – it was either too slow or too hasty, and then you lose the ball and the tempo is gone from the game. That, in my opinion, was the reason [for not winning]."

Ashley Young was booked for diving after the interval when he went down in the box under a challenge from ex-Red Wes Brown, while the returning Robin van Persie also had a penalty appeal turned down.

Van Gaal added: "I don’t think it was dive because he was touched by the opponent. After that he did exaggerate, but what counts is that he was kicked by the opponent.

"I think [the referee] could also have given a penalty to van Persie. You could say he was already falling but the tackle was coming – some referees would have given that. Nevertheless, we need to be creating more chances, rather than just relying on penalties."

Smalling suffers groin injury at Sunderland

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has confirmed central defender Chris Smalling suffered a groin injury during Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.

The Reds defender pulled up in the build-up to Juan Mata’s opening goal and was subsequently replaced by Mike Keane just before the half-time break. While speaking to reporters after the final whistle, the boss confirmed the reason behind his premature exit.

“Of course, we have a lot of injuries right now,” van Gaal explained. “We had seven and now Smalling is already injured again so it is eight. You need all of your players. It is a groin injury, but we will have to wait and see how long. It is too early at the moment.”

Smalling joins Jonny Evans, Luke Shaw, Ander Herrera, Marouane Fellaini, Anderson, Michael Carrick and Jesse Lingard on the worryingly long list of players who are injured.

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Here is hoping that a good number of young Manchester United players get a chance to play tonight. the likes of James , Powell , Wilson , Pearson , Blackett & Keane twins. :)

Milton Keynes Dons vs Manchester United
Football League Cup 2nd Round
Tuesday 26 August 2014
Stadium mk
KO : 20:00 BST

Live broadcast by Sky Sports.

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Manchester United launch presence on LINE

LINE the latest channel for club to engage with fans around the world

Manchester United have today announced details of an exciting new presence on LINE, one of Asia’s biggest social messaging platforms, which could see the club engage with over 490 million users across the globe.

The club’s presence on the social messaging platform will allow users to access United news, videos and imagery directly from their mobile phone, to share with friends and contacts. Today’s launch sees the English language version available to users across the globe, with local language versions available in Japan and Thailand as well.

This latest expansion into social messaging platforms comes after the club recently exceeded 55 million fans on Facebook, the fastest of any sport organisation to do so, and celebrated a year on Twitter, amassing nearly three million followers in the process.

United’s Group Managing Director, Richard Arnold, said: "I am delighted that the club has launched a presence on LINE. With a potential audience of nearly five hundred million users, it’s the latest innovative and fun way for our fans in Asia and beyond to engage and deepen their ties with the club they love."

Earlier this year, United and Google+ embarked on a world-first effort to give fans the opportunity to cheer on the team virtually, appearing via a live Google+ Hangout - the free, multi-person video call feature - on Old Trafford’s pioneering digital hoardings.

Nov 29, 2002
Milton Keynes was a must-win game. I can't believe how poor this performance is. 3-0 down with 10 minutes left.

I hope all Man u fans who were having a go at that bichareh Moyes now realize he wasn't the problem. Poor moyes he got shafted royally!

Nov 29, 2002
British Media were slagging off Moyes from day one, whilst blowing wind up Van Gaal non-stop over the last 2 months.

I hate to say it, but it is the anti scottish establishment bullshit. Maybe scots are better off leaving us.

Nov 29, 2002
This is the first time Milton Keynes have managed to sell out their stadium.

Remember this Third Division (lg 1) team does not have any history and was founded by the dissolving of London's Wimbledon club.