Manchester United Information Thread

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Di Maria shines for Argentina

Four Reds were on international friendly duty on Wednesday and none shone brighter than Manchester United's record new signing Angel Di Maria, whose masterclass included a goal and three assists to help Argentina beat Germany 4-2.

The £59.7million capture, who completed 85 impressive minutes in Düsseldorf, started alongside Reds team-mate Marcos Rojo as Argentina faced Germany in a repeat of this summer's World Cup final, which Joachim Löw's side won in Brazil, of course.

Operating wide on the right for Gerardo Martino's men, Di Maria's energy, creativity and wand of a left foot were put to devastating use. In the 20th minute his stunning outside-of-the-boot pass enabled Sergio Aguero to make it 1-0. Then on 39 minutes he was at it again, racing onto a pass down the right and floating an inviting cross to Erik Lamela, who volleyed into the roof of the net to make it 2-0.

Immediately after the second half restart, Di Maria's deep free-kick from the left was headed home by Federico Fernandez, then two minutes later he got on the scoresheet himself, coolly dinking the ball over the onrushing Manuel Neuer in a one-on-one.

Rojo couldn't help Argentina to a clean sheet as Andre Schürrle pulled a goal back for Germany on 52 minutes, while the world champions scored again through Mario Götze's deflected effort on 78 minutes. However, Di Maria's damage had already been done.

Closer to home, Wayne Rooney led England out at Wembley for the first time as the new national skipper as they took on Norway, while Phil Jones completed the full 90 minutes at centre-back. Despite a lowly 40,181 crowd, Rooney inspired the team to a 1-0 win by lashing home a 68th-minute penalty before being replaced by former club-mate Danny Welbeck a minute later.

[video=youtube;W1qmh37SMQ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1qmh37SMQ0[/video]

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
I hope so man. We need him...
Done and dusted. :)

Marcos Rojo granted visa

The UK Border Agency has agreed to grant new Manchester United signing Marcos Rojo a visa and the defender will therefore be available for the Reds' next game against QPR on 14 September.

Rojo completed his move to Old Trafford from Sporting Lisbon on 20 August but the requirement to obtain a visa has thus far prevented the 24-year-old from making his debut.

There was no such delay for fellow Argentinian arrival Angel Di Maria, who already has an Italian passport as one of his grandparents is from Italy.

Rojo qualified for a (separate) work permit automatically by virtue of having played in more than 75 per cent of Argentina’s competitive internationals over the last two years.

We could potentially have Rojo , Di Maria , Herrera , Shaw, Blind & Falcao playing against QPR. exciting times ahead.

Last edited:

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Manchester United squad list confirmed

The Premier League has confirmed Manchester United's official squad lists for the 2014/15 season following the closure of the transfer window.

The 24-man senior list is not definitive in terms of those available for selection as players can also be nominated from the Under-21 roster. This includes, for instance, Tyler Blackett, Adnan Januzaj, Luke Shaw and James Wilson. The Under-21 players must have been born on or after 1 January 1993.

Additional changes to the senior squad can only be made during transfer window periods but loans will be permitted to lower division clubs.

The requirement is for no more than 17 players who do not fulfil the homegrown player criteria. A homegrown player is deemed to be somebody who has been registered with any club affiliated to the English or Welsh FA for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months before his 21st birthday - or the end of the season during which he turns 21.

United (* = homegrown): Ben Amos*, David De Gea, Anders Lindegaard; Jonny Evans*, Phil Jones*, Rafael*, Marcos Rojo, Chris Smalling*, Marnick Vermijl*; Anderson, Daley Blind, Michael Carrick*, Angel Di Maria, Marouane Fellaini, Darren Fletcher*, Ander Herrera, Jesse Lingard*, Juan Mata, Davide Petrucci*, Antonio Valencia, Ashley Young*; Radamel Falcao, Wayne Rooney*, Robin van Persie.

Under-21 players (contract and scholars): Oliver Byrne, Joel Castro Pereira, George Dorrington, Dean Henderson, Sam Johnstone, Kieran O'Hara; Tyler Blackett, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, Jimmy Dunne, Callum Evans, Liam Grimshaw, Reece James, Saidy Janko, Mike Keane (on loan at Burnley), Donald Love, Ryan McConnell, Paddy McNair, Guillermo Varela (on loan to Real Madrid), Tyler Reid, Charlie Scott, Luke Shaw, Tom Thorpe, Axel Tuanzebe; Sean Goss, Josh Harrop, Adnan Januzaj, Travis Johnson, Ben Pearson, Andreas Pereira, Regan Poole (work experience from Newport County), Scott McTominay, Nick Powell (on loan at Leicester), Devonte Redmond, Joe Riley, Joe Rothwell, Jordan Thompson, James Weir, Matty Willock; Ruairi Croskery, Ashley Fletcher, Angelo Henriquez (on loan at Dyamo Zagreb), Will Keane, Demetri Mitchell, Marcus Rashford, James Wilson.

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
This talented kid from Ajax Youth is one of several Ajax and Anderlecht kids who were scouted by Manchester United during AEGON Tourney.very good prospect from his Man United scouting report to have good technique , real good in passing and quite pacy.

With Louis van Gaal as manager of Manchester United & Manchester United legend Edwin van der Sar working as Ajax marketing director , i expect further cooperation between the 2 clubs with regards to youth talents. :)

United agree Fosu-Mensah deal

Manchester United agreed a deal to sign Timothy Fosu-Mensah from Ajax ahead of the transfer deadline.

The 16-year-old is a powerful defender who caught the eye at the AEGON Future Cup and is highly regarded in his homeland.

Fosu-Mensah still requires an International Transfer Certificate to be processed in order to make his debut for Paul McGuinness' Academy squad, but his versatility and ability mark him out as an excellent addition for the Reds.

[video=youtube;2U__L3Q5BBM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U__L3Q5BBM[/video]

Last edited:

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Manchester United defender Marcos Rojo free to face Queens Park Rangers at Old Trafford in Premier League

Manchester United's Marcos Rojo can face Queens Park Rangers after securing a working visa.

" I am desperate to get onto the field and play because I have not been able to step on to Old Trafford. "

" My life has changed a lot. I am very happy to be at Manchester United, a top team in the world, sharing a dressing room with players like Rooney, Van Persie, Di Maria and now Falcao."

"This is a very important step in my career as a player and as a person."

"Everything that has happened to me since the World Cup has been a dream."

Marcos Rojo Individual Highlights in Wednesday's Argentina 4 - 2 Germany

[video=youtube;NOKBD6nO-6A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOKBD6nO-6A[/video]

Last edited:

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Next Manchester United match is today.

Manchester United v QPR
EPL week 4
Sunday 14 September 2014
Old Trafford , Manchester
KO : 16:00 UK time

Boss addressing concerns over injury list

Louis van Gaal has revealed he is making tweaks behind the scenes at Manchester United as his managerial philosophy continues to evolve over time.

The boss has made alterations to his training schedule in an attempt to address the injury problems that have dogged his opening spell in charge.

"I have always said I am not only evaluating the players but I am also evaluating myself and my staff," he stressed. "Now, we have a lot of injuries so I’m evaluating why and I've changed my preparation scheme because of that, for example, and I’ve also changed what we have to do after the match. I have changed the schedule of times.

"It [the injury situation] is a big concern. I think it is not nice that I cannot compare all the players and, of course, we have evaluated how we train but, for the level what I demand as a coach, we need to train like that and the players have to adapt to that level. That is the crucial thing. What can we do to adapt to a certain level the players can fulfil but also so that we also improve our level?"

Van Gaal's philosophy is continually focused on achieving success and he hinted at some of the many elements that form the basis of his idealogy.

"It would take four hours to speak about the philosophy and we don’t have the time for that," he instructed the press. "It’s not only the mode of play, it is also the way we are treating players, the way we are building up training sessions, the way we have to prepare for games, the way we have to do our rehabilitation, the process and the steps that you have to make. It’s a lot of things. One of the most important things is I’m seeing the players not only as football players but as human beings."

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Manchester United 4 QPR 0
EPL week 4
Sunday 14 September 2014

Attendance : 75,355

United goals by Di Maria , Herrera , Rooney & Mata.

Link to watch full match replay

http://www.footballorgin.com/2014/09/manchester-united-v-queens-park-rangers.html

Link to watch match highlights

http://www.footytube.com/video/Manchester-United-vs-Queens-Park-Rangers-296847?ref=lchan_results

Van Gaal hails new start for Reds

Louis van Gaal was pleased with United's emphatic response to a difficult start to the season as the Reds put four goals without reply past Queens Park Rangers.

The Reds secured three points for the first time since the Dutch manager took charge, with an attacking display from a side featuring several new faces.

"I said before the game 'let us make a new start'," van Gaal told MUTV. "That's important as after 1 September, after the transfer period, we can now work on a team-building process and make ourselves better every week – we have done it, I believe.

"The most important thing from today is that we created goals. In the other matches we were the better team on the pitch but we didn't make goals. Now we have made four goals and that gives a boost to every player."

Angel Di Maria, making his first home appearance, opened the floodgates with a sublime free-kick straight from a training field move, but other aspects of his new-look side were also praised by the boss.

"The first goal is very important, we trained with it before the game but he did it at the right moment. I think the new players fitted in very well. It's always difficult to come in and adapt to the rhythm of the Premier League but they did very well – not only Di Maria."

The importance of sending United's fans home smiling was also not lost on the manager, who added: "That's also enormously important as they have had to wait a long time for a good result."

Angel Di Maria vs QPR - Goal & Individual Highlight

[video=youtube;XfGvQ3DC5os]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfGvQ3DC5os[/video]

Last edited:

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Manchester United 4 QPR 0

Daley Blind Individual Highlights

[video=youtube;5PMOuT05Yi4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PMOuT05Yi4&list=UUmu8eBs_Z728BNJdexMOTpQ[/video]

Blind excited to learn from van Gaal

Daley Blind is delighted to be working under Louis van Gaal at Manchester United and insists his former Netherlands manager will make him a better player this season.

The Dutchman made his Reds debut as a deep-lying midfielder during Sunday’s 4-0 win over QPR and can't wait to see what the future holds for him at Old Trafford, where he can absorb the knowledge and expertise of van Gaal.

“He is very honest to everybody, he knows what he wants and he knows his philosophy,” Blind explained, while speaking to ManUtd.com after the final whistle. “He can bring that to the players and he can make a team with everybody. That is a good start for us if you want to work for each other. I have really learned a lot from van Gaal and I like working under him.

“I haven’t worked that long with him. I only worked with him at the World Cup and in the qualification games. A lot of the time I worked with Frank de Boer at Ajax and I think Ajax made me more the player I am now. Of course, I was with van Gaal at the World Cup. He also helped me a lot and I have learned a lot from him. I hope to learn a lot from him in the next season as well.

“I think he can make me a better player in terms of positioning, where to stand and tactics in games because midfield is an important position to play. I hope I can get better at it every day.”

While pleased with his first performance for United, Blind is determined to improve his understanding of the holding midfielder role in a division that is much faster than he is used to.

“It was a bit different because the opponents were going back so I had a lot of space to control the ball and play it to the sides, mixing it from side to side. I had a lot of space and that was nice for me. We played our own game and we played well. When we lost the ball we went after it as a team. We won the ball back a lot, so we did a good job.

Of course it was a higher tempo and I can feel that also in my legs, but I can play 90 minutes and it was okay. I have only played in the Dutch league and in international football, but I think the Premier League is a higher level and there is a higher speed in the game.”

Asked how the new signings are settling in, Blind spoke of a positive team spirit that has eased his introduction: “When I came here there was a really warm welcome and I felt directly good in the team. Also, Robin [van Persie] helped me a lot because I know him from the Dutch squad.

“But I have also been helped by the other guys who came in straight away. Everybody wants to fight for each other and I think we saw that in this game. Everyone wants to give the ball to each other and I like to play in this squad.”

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Next Manchester United match is today.

Leicester City vs Manchester United
EPL week 5
Sunday 21 September 2014
KO : 13:30 UK time

Van Gaal ponders striking options for Leicester

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal is mulling over a selection dilemma ahead of Sunday’s trip to Leicester City in the Barclays Premier League with five goal-thirsty strikers jostling for just two places in his starting team.

The boss must choose between club captain Wayne Rooney, Dutch talisman Robin van Persie and summer signing Radamel Falcao, as well as youngsters James Wilson and Adnan Januzaj. While this embarrassment of riches is hardly a problem to lose sleep over, he admits it will not be easy to select just two.

Asked if van Persie and Falcao can play together, van Gaal said: “I don't think that Falcao interferes with van Persie or that he interferes with Falcao. Falcao is a very good striker, I already said that when he came here in his first press conference.

“I like van Persie as well - he is also a very good striker,” the boss continued. “Then we have Wayne Rooney and Adnan Januzaj, and we also have James Wilson. We have five players for the two striker positions and I have to choose.”

Expanding on Januzaj’s limited game time this season - which was just one of the reasons behind his hat-trick appearance in Monday’s Under-21s clash with Sunderland - van Gaal explained the Belgian must show patience and earn his place in the team.

“He has to compete with very good players and that is the reason,” the 63-year-old explained at the Aon Training Complex. “You cannot put 15 players in the squad, only 11, and with this system he has to compete with a lot of very strong strikers.

“When we play 4-3-3, for example, then he should have maybe more chances. It is always dependable on the system that we play. When I have changed my system, he has played.”

The topic of United’s formation was a key talking point during Friday’s press conference following the manager’s decision to utilise the diamond system in the 4-0 win over QPR. While that decision paid obvious dividends at Old Trafford, he is keen for his team to master many different shapes.

“I started with another system because of the quality of the players. Now we have bought quality players in and so you have to look at these qualities and then want to perform the philosophy that we have. Then you are coming out in this system, but that can change also. It is not a fixed solution.

“I have played that already in my first match at Ajax, where it was a law that we played 4-3-3. But I played 4-4-2 as trainer-coach of the second team because I saw it was more suitable for the quality of my players. That was 1998, a long time ago.”

Van Gaal also claimed United's injury worries are decreasing, with Chris Smalling set to return - which leaves just six players in the treatment room at the Aon Training Complex.

[video=youtube;SFsZ6KFwYUc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFsZ6KFwYUc[/video]

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Leicester City 5 Manchester United 3
EPL week 5
Sunday 21 September 2014

Links to watch match highlights & full match replay

http://www.footytube.com/video/ft-leicester-man-united-extended-299428

http://www.footballorgin.com/2014/09/leicester-city-fc-v-manchester-united.html

Manchester United 2 West Ham 1
EPL week 6
Saturday 27 September 2014

http://www.footytube.com/video/man-west-hl-eng-extended-301425

http://www.footballorgin.com/2014/09/premier-league-2014-2015-manchester_27.html

Manchester United 2 Everton 1
EPL week 7
Sunday 5 October 2014

http://www.footytube.com/video/united-eve-hl-eng-extended-304226

http://www.footballorgin.com/2014/10/manchester-united-v-everton-premier.html

Van Gaal hails De Gea heroics

Louis van Gaal was pleased to record back-to-back victories for the first time in the Barclays Premier League on Sunday against Everton, but he was as much thankful to goalkeeper David De Gea as he was to goalscorers Angel Di Maria and Radamel Falcao.

Di Maria gave United the lead in the first half, and while De Gea stopped Leighton Baines' penalty just before the break, Steven Naismith equalised for the visitors in the second half. Falcao put United back in front with his first goal for the club, but it was left to De Gea again to make a string of key saves in the dying moments of the match.

Here's what the boss had to say to MUTV after the game...

A game of two halves "It was a very good first half, like against West Ham. We created a lot of chances but in the first half we only scored one goal from all those chances. Then we got a penalty given against us. Everton hadn't created any chances until the last minute of the half, but fortunately De Gea stops the penalty. Then I thought the second half was easier to play against Everton because they wanted to equalise, so we had to keep the ball. But we couldn't do that. I made substitutions to help our organisation but despite my changes it was not better because in the last 15 minutes they created three big chances."

De Gea outstanding "David De Gea was fantastic today. When there are a lot of players in front of you your view is not so good as a goalkeeper. When the shot comes in from outside the box it is always at the last moment that you see the ball, but his reflexes are very good."

Falcao off the mark "Yes, he needed that goal. I talked with him and I told him that he was forcing himself too much to score. He is a player who scores in every match, but here he has had to wait. Now he has [got his goal] it will be better after the international break."

Di Maria impressing "I have said in my press conference that he is a team player, that he gives a lot of assists and he is making a lot of goals. We also need balance in our team when we don’t have the ball. For that, we have to find the solution. He is doing great. He wants to do his work defensively, but the balance in our team in the second half has to improve. When we have the ball we have to keep the ball and we didn’t do that. So that's why in the second half it was very difficult for the fans, for the players, for the substitutes, but also for the manager!"

Luke Shaw's injury "It was an impact on his knee and he has a dead [leg near his] knee. He could have made it worse so that is why he stepped out."

[video=youtube;Dm1O8AyaqEU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm1O8AyaqEU[/video]

David de Gea's saves vs Everton

Last edited:

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
West Brom 2 Manchester United 2
EPL week 8
Monday 20 October 2014

United goals by Fellaini & Blind.

http://www.footytube.com/video/wba-manu-extended-eng-308256

http://www.footballorgin.com/2014/10/west-bromwich-albion-v-manchester.html

Van Gaal frustrated by West Brom draw

Louis van Gaal cut a frustrated figure after his Manchester United side were denied a first away win by West Bromwich Albion on Monday night.

In fact, the hosts twice threatened to claim a victory themselves, edging in front through Stephane Sessegnon and Saido Berahino before Marouane Fellaini and Daley Blind levelled the scores at 1-1 and 2-2 respectively.

"I am very disappointed, the result was not good enough," said van Gaal in his post-match interview.

"I think we could have won and that’s why I’m disappointed. I have to be happy that we created lots of chances and West Brom had only two shots – but their two shots were both goals! We gave the game away with our errors which is a pity as it could have been a new start if we’d have won here – that was possible, I believe."

When asked if his side had given too much space to West Brom's attacking players for the two goals, van Gaal replied: "Yes, that’s also a part of the individual errors [we made]. West Brom were playing more narrow in midfield and our wide defenders were pushing up and giving away too much space."

For a while it seemed a tactical change by van Gaal would pay dividends, when his half-time substitute Fellaini scored just three minutes after coming on and United pressed the Baggies back into their own area.

"I had more or less decided to bring him on after 30 minutes," revealed the Reds boss. "I said to him to look at what Herrera was doing because I want you to play. He scored at once [after coming on] and made some very good play I think.

"We have to look for physical balance and maybe that’s part of our problem. I am a coach who always looks for creative players but in England you also need physical bodies in your team – Fellaini is one of these.

"I am looking for balance and maybe with this formation, but with the same philosophy, we could do better.

"With training sessions players now understand the philosophy more and I have seen it also tonight which is why it’s such a pity we couldn’t get the result we deserved."

The boss was asked whether he might utilise the same 4-2-3-1 formation in the forthcoming crunch matches with traditional rivals Chelsea and Manchester City. "You never know but I have a lot of confidence as I liked the match," he teased in response.

Finally, on United's points tally in sixth place: "It's not good because when you see our games we have normally been the better team. But when you have 12 points from eight games, it’s eight points too few."

Last edited:

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Next Manchester United match will be this Sunday.

Manchester United vs Chelsea
EPL week 9
Sunday 26 October 2014
KO : 16:00 UK time

Boss: Di Maria fit for Blues clash

Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal has confirmed Angel Di Maria and Ander Herrera will be fit to face Chelsea on Sunday.

Both summer imports were substituted during the 2-2 draw at West Brom on Monday but are available to take on the Barclays Premier League leaders at Old Trafford this weekend.

"Ander was already fit for the last game and, with Di Maria, I said after the match that normally it [the injury] should not be so heavy and it's not heavy," stated van Gaal at his pre-match press conference at the Aon Training Complex.

"So he has trained. It was only the first day that he didn't train so he has trained from Thursday, no problem. I'm sorry to say no other players are returning. Even, for example, I let Michael Carrick play this evening in London for the reserves [at West Ham] because I believe that he needs that. He needs to play matches, especially when you are five months injured. He told me it [will be] his first appearance in the second team.

"Antonio Valencia and Jonny Evans are not fit enough, I think," added the boss on MUTV.

[video=youtube;dAke7HYfdHA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAke7HYfdHA[/video]

Last edited:

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Manchester United 1 - 1 Chelsea
Premier League week 9
Sunday 26 October 2014

Attendance : 75,327

United goal by Robin van Persie.

http://www.footytube.com/video/che-man-hl-eng-extended-310396

http://www.footballorgin.com/2014/10/manchester-united-v-chelsea-premier.html

Van Gaal pleased with spirit against Chelsea

Louis van Gaal believes Manchester United "missed a big opportunity" to beat Chelsea, despite the celebration and relief of salvaging a late point at Old Trafford thanks to Robin van Persie.

The Reds forward struck with just seconds remaining to cancel out Didier Drogba's second-half header, capping a vibrant and valiant display against Jose Mourinho's side.

Van Gaal was delighted with the response to falling behind after the break, and believes United did enough to claim all three points from the game.

"I said to the players after the game that we could have won, but that counts for nothing in sport," he told MUTV. "We created a lot of chances, but we have to finish them. Chelsea took one at the start of the second half, and we were out of the game for 10 minutes. I’m very happy that we responded after that point.

"Once again, we turned a negative result into a positive one, like we did against West Brom. I’m happy with the spirit of the team, that’s the only benefit, because I feel that we could have won the game. Chelsea are currently the best team in the league, but there are many more games to be played. We still have a chance, but I still think we missed a big opportunity to beat them today.

“I predicted it [that Chelsea might score] at half-time, because we gave corner kicks away too easily. I said during the break that Chelsea could only score against us from a set piece, and I won’t have to say that anymore because the prediction came true."

The Reds boss was also keen to stress the importance of a team performance after the game, but was delighted to see van Persie get on the scoresheet.

“I don’t want to talk about individual players," he added. "I’m very happy that he scored a goal because it was important for both him and the club. But I don’t like that he took off his shirt in celebration, because a yellow card isn’t good for us."

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Next Manchester United match is today. :)

Arsenal vs Manchester United
English Premier League week 12
Saturday 22 November 2014
KO : 17:30 UK time

United players update:

Angel Di Maria has shaken off a knock picked up in Argentina’s Old Trafford friendly against Portugal and David De Gea is fit to play despite injuring his finger in training with Spain. Michael Carrick is also expected to be available. Daley Blind will be absent due to his knee injury on Netherlands duty, while Phil Jones, Rafael and Jonny Evans are not yet ready for selection. Meanwhile, Falcao will resume full training with the first team on Sunday, the day after the match.

Louis van Gaal press conference

[video=youtube;xWTmmw-i3-g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWTmmw-i3-g[/video]