Maradona :(

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
For many who grew up as kids in the 80s like me, this wasn't just the death of an exceptional football player, it was also the death of a significant part of our childhood. With a unique air of "me alone against all of you" every time he played, Maradona was the player we all dreamt to be. We didn't care who else played in the team, we just looked at Maradona because he made you believe he can take on the entire opposition by himslef. His story represented the romance of football. He is the only player ever whose posters I had on my wall and he will forever be tied to memories of my childhood.

Comparisons to other great players are false, neither do I care about his personal life and the many vices he had. He was the ultimate football magician and for me his many faults were part of his magic. Every generation has its football idol. He was mine.

Adios Dieguito

Last edited:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Behrouz C jan, although I was a diehard Die Mannschaft fan because my family would give me Germany jerseys, I had a Diego Maradona jersey. I too felt like a piece of my childhood died. @Finally Who is Lothor Matthaus, only arguably the GOAT MF/Sweeper of all time
Lothor vs Diego and Lothor Matthaus on Diego Maradona.
Franz Beckenbauer and I had to be careful on Diego he was dangerous. Reflecting back on his carerr, DER PANZER called Diego the Goat. He was the 92 Balon de Or winner and he was not 6'4, he was only 5'9, around the same height as Maradona what 5'6?
RIP to Diego Maradona yes there was controversy in his career, we have to talk about the bad if we are going to talk about the good. The steroids thing in 94 shocked me because Diego didn't look like Hulk Hogan. There will never be another playmaker attacking MF, quite like Maradona who made everyone around him better.
So the debate continues 20th century fifa player of the year Pele or Diego?
Different positions so this is a hard one Pele was a pure Forward/Striker Maradona was a MF, they played in different eras.

Feb 4, 2005
For many who grew up as kids in the 80s like me, this wasn't just the death of an exceptional football player, it was also the death of a significant part of our childhood. With a unique air of "me alone against all of you" every time he played, Maradona was the player we all dreamt to be. We didn't care who else played in the team, we just looked at Maradona because he made you believe he can take on the entire opposition by himslef. His story represented the romance of football. He is the only player ever whose posters I had on my wall and he will forever be tied to memories of my childhood.

Comparisons to other great players are false, neither do I care about his personal life and the many vices he had. He was the ultimate football magician and for me his many faults were part of his magic. Every generation has its football idol. He was mine.

Adios Dieguito
So true. When my son saw tears in my eyes after hearing the sad news and asked me why, I told him the same thing "part of my childhood died today"

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Funny.....at the same time you guys watched Maradona and dreamt to be him, my heroes were Dr. Socrates, Zico and their gang. I had the same feeling when Socrates died. I did not have their pictures on the wall but I did have a pair of Zico jeans and a book of cartoon where their team played against Iran. Good old days. :)

Feb 4, 2005
Funny.....at the same time you guys watched Maradona and dreamt to be him, my heroes were Dr. Socrates, Zico and their gang. I had the same feeling when Socrates died. I did not have their pictures on the wall but I did have a pair of Zico jeans and a book of cartoon where their team played against Iran. Good old days. :)
Netherlands 1974 and Brazil 1982 two of the greatest all time teams and unfortunately both failed to win the title they truly deserved.

Last edited:

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
82 is the first world cup I remember in full, although I have some recollection of 78 because Iran played but I don't recall any personalities.

I remember Zico and Socrates and the entire Brazil team, but also Rossi and the Germans. Somehow though these others didn't stand out the way Maradona did. 86 was just different for me.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I remember while I was cheering for Brazil, my brother (a Germany fan) and a friend (Argentina fan) were doing kal kal with each other. We all had our favorites. Rummenigge was my brother's favorite. :)

I come to think of it......so many amazing players played at the same time during that period. There were at least one or several stars in each team. It's not like now where you have only Messi and C. Ronaldo. In any match where a big team played, you were excited to watch their respective star/stars to show off their skills.

RaminS

Feb 19, 2009
I have looked everywhere but couldn't find a picture of Zico jeans anywhere online. I used to have the ones that had writing going down the side. My sister had the other type that had a whole bunch of zippers and pockets. The closest I can come to a picture of it is my cousin from behind in the burgundi shirt with the light blue Zico label on his back pocket. This was the kind with writing on it.

Summer 1986 (3).JPG

Also here is that book:

Doctor Socrates in Tehran (1).jpg

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I have looked everywhere but couldn't find a picture of Zico jeans anywhere online. I used to have the ones that had writing going down the side. My sister had the other type that had a whole bunch of zippers and pockets. The closest I can come to a picture of it is my cousin from behind in the burgundi shirt with the light blue Zico label on his back pocket. This was the kind with writing on it.

View attachment 45012

Also here is that book:

View attachment 45013
Good old days, yadesh bekheir. :D

I don't remember which one of the jeans I had but I remember both your version and your cousin's.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. :)

rahim

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
behbahan
How about Brazil of 1970 ?
Some argue the greatest team of all time and they did 🏆
In fact Brazil of 70 was the best World Cup winner ever, IMO
And Italy of 70, Germany of 70 were also among the best non winners ever.
Holland of 74 and Brazil of 82 Were in a class of their own.

I would say those 5 teams were the most memorable World Cup teams for me, with an edge to Brazil of 70 and Holland of 74.

takbetak

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2006
In fact Brazil of 70 was the best World Cup winner ever, IMO
And Italy of 70, Germany of 70 were also among the best non winners ever.
Holland of 74 and Brazil of 82 Were in a class of their own.

I would say those 5 teams were the most memorable World Cup teams for me, with an edge to Brazil of 70 and Holland of 74.
Holland of 74 and Brazil of 82 were awesome.