Meet the New Chicago Cubs: Yu Darvish

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
1519066181524.png

After three straight trips to the National League Championship Series, the Chicago Cubs have retooled their roster as they prepare for the 2018 season.

How He Got Here

After a long offseason that saw him linked to teams like the New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers, and Milwaukee Brewers, Yu Darvish ultimately was offered a six-year, $126 million deal by the Cubs and agreed to it, making him the highest-paid free agent of this year’s class.

What He Did in 2017

In his fourth big league season, Darvish struggled to find his form at times but still put up solid numbers, with a 10-12 record and a 3.86 ERA in 31 starts with the Texas Rangers and Los Angeles Dodgers.

Darvish also had some great starts in the postseason, picking up wins against the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Cubs before struggling big-time in two World Series losses to the Houston Astros.

What Does He Bring to the Table?

There really isn’t a way to understate the number of boxes that Darvish checks off for the Cubs as he comes to the North Side.

For starters, Darvish gives the Cubs one of the best rotations in all of baseball. Jon Lester and Kyle Hendricks are both strong pitchers, and Jose Quintana has a great track record as a consistently good hurler as well, and adding yet another top-tier pitcher to that mix is a great move for the Cubs.

Darvish also helps with the Cubs’ big problem of a year ago, which was a rotation that struggled so badly in the first half of the season that it taxed the bullpen and burnt them out for the stretch run. In an ideal world, signing Darvish will prevent that from happening again, and it could pay dividends late in the season against an improved Milwaukee Brewers squad.

Finally, Darvish gives the Cubs the kind of strikeout pitcher that they would love to have in a rotation of guys that can pitch to contact and get away with it. The movement on Darvish’s pitches is simply staggering, and his release point is so similar on all of his pitches that he frequently keeps hitters off balance.

Source: https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loc...aining-preview-meet-yu-darvish-474343463.html

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Good for him I am happy Yu Davrish found a home in Chicago.

He got some flack in LA for a bad game in the WS last year but now Darvish will get $126,000,000 6 years. The Cubbies just added some depth to their bullpen, which is always a plus especially in the post season.

They have a nice rotation of: Yu Darvish, John Lester, Kyle Hendrix, Brandon Marrow, Tyler Chatwood, and a bunch more.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
Good for him I am happy Yu Davrish found a home in Chicago.

He got some flack in LA for a bad game in the WS last year but now Darvish will get $126,000,000 6 years. The Cubbies just added some depth to their bullpen, which is always a plus especially in the post season.

They have a nice rotation of: Yu Darvish, John Lester, Kyle Hendrix, Brandon Marrow, Tyler Chatwood, and a bunch more.
I dont follow Baseball, is he good ?

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I dont follow Baseball, is he good ?
He is good enough to have a six figure contract by the Cubs and baseball is about leverage.

In baseball there is no salary cap, like there is in the NFL or NBA, what you are worth is what you are worth.

Now he is not as good as Girardo Stanton who left the Marlins for the Yankees $325,000,000 but he is one of the better pitchers in the MLB. I would hoestly grade him as a B+ to A minus pitcher so he is solid.

Last year he went 10-12 but overall he is 52-42, his earned run average is slightly up this year but still good. I wish him the best of luck and sometimes a change in venue is nice. I was in Chicago for boot camp, he will like blue cholar midwesterners.

Cubbies usually sell out even when they are bad so lots of support.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Sure This is brilliant Darvish perfect game up to the 9th inning. Lol @ the commentators "Got em swinging," 96 MPH fast ball.That is REALLY hard to do btw. This was when he was with the Texas Rangers. As far as fundamentals of pitching goes, Yu Darvish has it in spades.

Finally one guy got a hit but almost by Darvish, this was probably his greatest masterpiece. I will try to find some more good ones for you. .Now you know I say, "He is one of the best pitchers in all of Major League Baseball. "

Last edited: