Messi

Messi, C.Ronaldo, Xavi Finalists of FIFA Ballon d'Or award. Who should win the Award?

• Lionel Messi

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Cristiano Ronaldo

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Xavi

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Then I suggest you see the game again. Brazil had more clear goal scoring chances than France. But never mind that, all in all, in general they were on par. Saying Brazil was as good as Belgium is as saying France was.
I don't know man, that France midfield was superior to that Brazil midfield, French did controlled the game.

By the way, I have to mention this. Brazil 90 was the weakest team they had for that time. Weaker than 86. Yet they managed to put a great fight against the finalists Maradona's Argentina and lose only with 1-0. That says alot about Brazil 86.
Brazil of 90 had nothing to do with Brazil of 86 like how Brazil 86 had nothing to do with Brazil 82. You could make a case of 82 and 86 being similar since they had the same coach but not 90!

Look at the record of WC 86 and see who came second in goals scored together with Maradona despite Brazil not reaching so far! He was not among the very best players Brazil have had but he was much more than just an "ok" player. As said, from mid 80's to late 80's/beginning of 1990, he was one of the top players in the world. So no sorry, eventhough unlike Maradona he was replaceable, I don't think it was that very easy to replace him.
well, unlike you I don't rate the WC as the best element to evaluate players. Schilachi and Suker were also the top goal scorer of WC but they weren't the top top forwards at the time. We shouldn't judge players based on their performance in WC as much since it is such a short tournament. Again Careca was a good goal scorer but wasn't a very complete player, he never really got involved with the game he was just a good finisher. But to consider him hard to replace is not accurate as there were tons of great forwards at the time not only in SerieA but all over Europe.
Careca in WC86 really shone in one match against Northern Ireland when he scored two goals, in other games when he scored he was just at the end of the great services from his teammates (Just like him in Napoli which he scored goals mostly because of Maradona services) or he scored from the penalty spot . There were tons of forwards as good as Careca at the time, I don't believe it would have been hard at all to replace him.

(all the players you mentioned who played in Serie A, except probably Baggio were not in their top form during that period). But anyways, it wasn't only Careca, there were also others like the ones you mentioned who were also good players playing along side Maradona.
I'm sorry but this is a ridiculous claim, almost every one of them were in good forms in that period, even the young Klinsmann was killing it in Inter in late 80's let alone likes of Van Basten and Vialli.

Obviously! Those are the 3-4 teams who reached the furthest in the WC. What else would people say? Let me ask you a question.... in 2002 South Korea came 4:th in the WC. They had a fantastic tournament! But can you really say Italy weren't that special, specially when SK won against them?
S. Korea cheated their way to semifinal, there was nothing fantastic about their tournament as they were fantastic in elbowing and punching and cheating. I respect Japan much more than that savage S.Korea. Maybe Spain deserved to be there. Italy had great players but they weren't clicking like they supposed to. However they deserved to beat that Korea but ref messed it up for them.
Anyway the reason France was so special was because of their midfield even if they would have lost to Brazil they would have still been phrased by many people. It was more or less that great French team who won Europe two years before that. Germany had many great top players and Argentina was very special because of Maradona. Brazil was just alright but of course very tough to beat!

I don't deny Maradona's achievements (eventhough I think saying who had the better players around himself in a team is very subjective).
It is not Subjective at all, Maradona didn't have half as many superstars and international players around him compared to any of those players you named!

My main point was directed at Azhidahak who was going on about single handedly this or single handedly that which is a clear exaggeration, created by the media. and we have had this discussion before and we rapped up the discussion with about the same conclusion we are about to make. So knowing that, I don't know why you had to take the same arguments back and force us to write 5 pages of old discussions which I really wanted to avoid? :D
Every time we get to the conclusion but every once in a while you come out and claiming Maradona couldn't have been successful without Careca, lol!
Your problem is not people's exaggeration as there always been exaggeration about Pele and some other players but you are too sensitive about Maradona and Messi cases because they are Argentinian and you don't like them ;)

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Ok, I really don't agree with alot of things you said here, specially about the Brazil of 86 and Careca but I'm on my way to catch a plane so I wont have time to reply. I just have to say:

Every time we get to the conclusion but every once in a while you come out and claiming Maradona couldn't have been successful without Careca, lol!
Your problem is not people's exaggeration as there always been exaggeration about Pele and some other players but you are too sensitive about Maradona and Messi cases because they are Argentinian and you don't like them ;)
You have really mistaken about me! :D I never meant to say Maradona couldn't be successful without Careca. But he too, needed good players (not only average ones as many claim) around him to be successful even though not all of them were stars. and yes Pele is the god of football but that doesn't mean I don't like Maradona or Messi (specially). Maybe I have given a wrong impression with my arguments which is very unfortunate. I'm merely against exaggerations and over the top comments. Maradona to me is the second best player ever existed and Messi.... Messi is indisputably the best player in the world today and he's been for about afew years. He needs more things to reach the very top ones: winning everything there is to win, including WC trophies.

Ciao....

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Ok, I really don't agree with alot of things you said here, specially about the Brazil of 86 and Careca but I'm on my way to catch a plane so I wont have time to reply. I just have to say:
It's ok but I don't think you are going to change my opinion about Careca much as there were enough great forwards at the time. Anyway God speed to you!

You have really mistaken about me! :D I never meant to say Maradona couldn't be successful without Careca. But he too, needed good players (not only average ones as many claim) around him to be successful even though not all of them were stars. and yes Pele is the god of football but that doesn't mean I don't like Maradona or Messi (specially). Maybe I have given a wrong impression with my arguments which is very unfortunate. I'm merely against exaggerations and over the top comments. Maradona to me is the second best player ever existed and Messi.... Messi is indisputably the best player in the world today and he's been for about afew years. He needs more things to reach the very top ones: winning everything there is to win, including WC trophies.

Ciao....
That is fair enough but seems like you are much more sensitive about exaggeration over Argentinian than Brazilians. And I don't agree with you that Messi needs to win WC to prove himself. He has already proven himself, and other great players such as Platini, Cruyff, Baggio and ect.. never won the WC and still are considered to be one of the greatest footballers.

Feb 15, 2006
Copenhagen-Denmark
That is fair enough but seems like you are much more sensitive about exaggeration over Argentinian than Brazilians. And I don't agree with you that Messi needs to win WC to prove himself. He has already proven himself, and other great players such as Platini, Cruyff, Baggio and ect.. never won the WC and still are considered to be one of the greatest footballers.
Agree!
Messi has already made it, where even Baggios and Platinis couldn't make it!

Btw. I see only 2 Brazilian but 3 Argentinian in this team ;)

1044835_516244238430795_1842053628_n.jpg

Oct 18, 2002
here
www.apfn.org
hey guys i was in iran for a while but anyway i heard messi (or massi as its pronounced i think)? was named the best player in the world n i saw pele as 1 of the judges.
can anyone give more info pls?
thanks!

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Salam Meyti joon! Welcome back! :)

I hope you had lots of fun in Iran!

No, actually Pele was just an honourable guest as usual. Messi came second and Christiano (mama's boy) Ronaldo won the best player award this year! :) Also Ribery came in the third place!

Cheers! :)

Oct 20, 2003
Shah Meyti, Ali vAgheiato nemigeh. Nemidoonam chera.
Actually Messi was the number one footballer (along with his close family members) by many fans of the Team Melli on Facebook.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Actually Messi was the number one footballer (along with his close family members) by many fans of the Team Melli on Facebook.
Na Safar jan, it was actually his facebook site that was number one site for Iran's TM fans! ;) :D

Oct 18, 2002
here
www.apfn.org
thanks a lot guys...
Sly jun, this is what I get for listening to the media lol ;-)
(ISP being one) huh....;-) j/k
but it was on the iranian news so still a mystery to me :S
btw I cant like your post it says I dont have the permission ? heh.... Oh I refreshed and logged back in and then it worked! merci...

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

A fair number of them were Abadani , giving some Brazileteh love to Messi the Argentinian. :)

May 12, 2007
He moves the ball with his left foot using his right side of his body to keep the other player away. If the player is on the left side he will use the right foot. I say use Karimi to mark him