Mohsen pezeshkpour has passed away

Zaagros

Bench Warmer
Nov 14, 2002
May he rest in peace and what a powerful speech. As soon as there is a true Iranian gov. they should reopen the files on Bahrain.

Oct 18, 2002
As soon as there is a true Iranian gov. they should reopen the files on Bahrain.
Shah essentially got the three islands in place of Bahrain. A good deal in my opinion.
Since 18th century Bahrain was only nominally under Iran's rule. If the population don't want to be part of Iran it is their choice.

Oct 20, 2003
Since 18th century Bahrain was only nominally under Iran's rule. If the population don't want to be part of Iran it is their choice.
deerouz JAn, with respect to Bahrain, I agree with you, IMHO the Shah did not have much choice. Having said I strongly disagree with the statement that if the population don't want to be part of Iran it is their choice as it relates to the mainland. Picture this, that the population Arab Iranian in Khuzestan becomes greater than the Ajams, very likely scenerio given the Arab family birth rates. With a little bit of prodding from outside (remember Iraq interfernce right after the revolution) the Khuzestani Arabs decide that they do not want to be part of Iran. Should they be allowed to secede? I hardly think so. Their choice would be to pack and leave.

beystr 2.0

Bench Warmer
Jul 9, 2006
The only thing keeping Bahrain in its current format is U.S.'s5th fleet..ofcourse being controlled by british from behind...take that force out and even now..Bahrain would become part of Iran in a moment....for their own sake Bahrain is better off being what it is at the moment..future though will be a different story.

May 12, 2007
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxE2DZgTDjk"]YouTube - ‫رابطۀ ایران Ùˆ بحرین Ú†Ù‡ بوده؟ - Bahram Moshiri‬‎[/ame]

Oct 18, 2002
deerouz JAn, with respect to Bahrain, I agree with you, IMHO the Shah did not have much choice. Having said I strongly disagree with the statement that if the population don't want to be part of Iran it is their choice as it relates to the mainland. Picture this, that the population Arab Iranian in Khuzestan becomes greater than the Ajams, very likely scenerio given the Arab family birth rates. With a little bit of prodding from outside (remember Iraq interfernce right after the revolution) the Khuzestani Arabs decide that they do not want to be part of Iran. Should they be allowed to secede? I hardly think so. Their choice would be to pack and leave.
IP jan I have to explain my post. That specific post was about Bahrain, and in response to a comment that implied Iran should try to regain it. After the fall of Safavid, Bahrain was practically autonomous and under the rule of its local sheikhs and families with support from England. So for over three centuries Iran had no administrative relationship with that island. Ties had been cut long ago. Any attempt to regain control of Bahrain through legal challenges is moot unless its population wants so.

Now in general with regard to minorities, I think it is false to suggest that with just a little meddling from outside the ethnic minorities of Iran will rise against the central government. The Arab Iranians of khuzestan had a perfect opportunity to secede when Iraq attacked, and yet not only they did not so, they bravely stood against the invasion with empty hands and defended the cities of Abadan and Susangerd and dezful and Khorramshahr (until its fall) while the Iranian army had little resources to help there. That's not a population ready to secede and I am proud to see despite all the neglect from the central governments, the ties that connects all of us Iranians are still strong enough to maintain the country together.

Outside meddling will not work if an extreme level of dissatisfaction does not exist. If such dissatisfaction ever materialize among any ethnic groups that is part of the mosaic of Iranian nation, I somehow agree that any government of Iran must make a reasonable effort to maintain the unity of the country, primarily through addressing their concerns and also combating outside pressure and influence. However I believe that after everything, a land belongs to the people who live there and it remains their choice. I wish we were in a situation where not only Bahrain but also the people of Azerbaijan, Afghanistan and Turkmenistan were wishing to join back.

Oct 20, 2003
Now in general with regard to minorities, I think it is false to suggest that with just a little meddling from outside the ethnic minorities of Iran will rise against the central government. The Arab Iranians of khuzestan had a perfect opportunity to secede when Iraq attacked, and yet not only they did not so, they bravely stood against the invasion with empty hands and defended the cities of Abadan and Susangerd and dezful and Khorramshahr (until its fall) while the Iranian army had little resources to help there. That's not a population ready to secede and I am proud to see despite all the neglect from the central governments, the ties that connects all of us Iranians are still strong enough to maintain the country together.

Outside meddling will not work if an extreme level of dissatisfaction does not exist. If such dissatisfaction ever materialize among any ethnic groups that is part of the mosaic of Iranian nation, I somehow agree that any government of Iran must make a reasonable effort to maintain the unity of the country, primarily through addressing their concerns and also combating outside pressure and influence. However I believe that after everything, a land belongs to the people who live there and it remains their choice. I wish we were in a situation where not only Bahrain but also the people of Azerbaijan, Afghanistan and Turkmenistan were wishing to join back.
deerouz JAn, as I said in my previous post, I agree with you on Bahrain. Going back to my example, I did not suggest that the Arab Khuzetanis are separatists or traitors, althought there were Iraqi fifth column in Iran right after the revolution and during the war. Remember how the governer of Khuzestan right after the revolution (Teymsar Madani) had for fight a bloody war with a group who were calling Khuzestan, Arabestan?
Having said, the point was not to suggest that the Khuzestani Arabs are separatist, my point was that secession should not be left to the people of any specific region, it is a matter for all Iranians to decide. I do not agree that the land belongs to the people who live in any particular region, the land belong to the nation and the whole nation must decide what happens to that land. Lastly, since at least the WWII, it has always been foreign influence, combined with sell-outs who have fomented secessionist movements in Iran be it in Kurdestan or Azarbijan or Khuzestan. Do you really think people that the Soviets picked to form the Republic of Mahabad, or Peshevari were representative of the entire people of Kurdestan or Azarbijan?