Mousavi 'ready to die' for reform

Feb 17, 2009
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8436919.stm

Mousavi 'ready to die' for reform

Iranian opposition leader Mir Hossein Mousavi has said he is not afraid to die for the cause of reform.
In a statement posted on opposition websites, Mr Mousavi also set out a five-stage solution to the crisis sparked by June's disputed elections.
It was his first comment since the death of his nephew and other anti-government protesters last month.
He said the government, parliament and judiciary must accept "direct responsibility" for the crisis.

Feb 17, 2009
By ALI AKBAR DAREINI, Associated Press Writer Ali Akbar Dareini, Associated Press Writer – 28 mins ago

TEHRAN, Iran – Iran's opposition leader is defiant in the face new threats — including calls by hard-liners for his execution — and says he is ready to die in defense of the people's rights.

Mir Hossein Mousavi's remarks come after the worst unrest since the immediate aftermath of disputed June presidential election. At least eight people died during anti-government protests Sunday, including Mousavi's nephew.

Mousavi lashed out at the bloody crackdown the authorities are waging against the opposition. He said in a statement Friday on his Web site the government is making more mistakes by resorting to violence and killings.

Mousavi says he's "ready for martyrdom" — the sacrifice of one's life — and that authorities must recognize the people's right to peaceful protests.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100101/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iran_95

Bauvafa

Bench Warmer
Oct 26, 2004
How MSM is in love with those jihadis. ;)

I say ship him and his Indian Gypsy friends to AfPak land!

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
Mousavi is waiting for AN and other regimi akhounds to show up first. Aren't they the ones that have 63% popular support, all the basiji and all the nirooye entezami and all the sepah and all the guns and protection?

But in fact as we know despite all that support AN doesn't go anywhere without a bullet proof car ;)

Oct 18, 2002
Mousavi's statement was very impressive. Honoring the people, whom he calls the leaders of the movement; Setting out specific, short term, achievable goals. No wonder Mohsen Rezaei felt safe enough to come out in support of it. Not that the Jannati-Khamenei team could accept it at this point, but some wiser people in their camp may start to use their heads.

Silverton

National Team Player
Nov 6, 2004
Mousavi's statement was very impressive. Honoring the people, whom he calls the leaders of the movement; Setting out specific, short term, achievable goals. No wonder Mohsen Rezaei felt safe enough to come out in support of it. Not that the Jannati-Khamenei team could accept it at this point, but some wiser people in their camp may start to use their heads.
Mohsen Rezai spoke in favour of who? People/ Mousavi or Jannati/Khamenei shamefaced faction.

Abedzaadeh

IPL Player
Jan 23, 2003
Yes I liked his statement as a whole when I first read it but thinking about it I see a major backdown in the first proposal:
۱- اعلام مسئولیت پذیری مستقیم دولت در مقابل ملت و مجلس و قوه قضائیه به نوعی که از دولت حمایت های غیرمعمول در مقابل کاستی ها و ضعف هایش نشود و دولت مستقیما پاسخگوی مشکلاتی باشد که برای کشور ایجاد کرده است . به یقین اگر دولت کارآمد و محق باشد خواهد توانست جواب مردم و مجلس را بدهد و اگر بی کفایت و ناکارآمد بود مجلس و قوه قضائیه در چارچوب قانون اساسی با او برخورد خواهند کرد

So government must be answerable to Parliament and Judiciary; and if after it Parliament and Judiciary are ok with gov, then so is Moussavi?

So he basically says if Parliament accepts government so do we, pls just

1) release our prisoners,
2)put some balance in the media
3) give us demonstration rights

I am all for a peaceful solution as I fear hate harjomarj and civil war but his statement, although the first part great with the criticisms and warnings, but his demands are short of a bare minimum IMO.

Last edited:

k-EYVON

Bench Warmer
Oct 20, 2003
GENERAL

Willing to die for this cause does not mean walk around
the streets so a car rolls over you.

This is said in a leadership capacity and a reply to
terror of his nephew.

are you really simple minded or you just playing with us?
members please help enlighten me about General state of mind.

ghilich

Bench Warmer
Oct 12, 2004
usa
The Green Movement of Iran has moved way beyond its initial leaders. Moussavi is a part of the movement, but neither he or Karoubi has the final say in the direction of the movement. Just as a hypothetical, if tomorrow they come out and say, "for the sake of national unity, we accept the present government and we urge all our countrymen to cooperate with the President etc...", the people will reject that immediately and continue on with the demonstrations and their demands. In contrast with the 79 revolution which was deviated into a CULT OF PERSONALITY, this new revolution is STILL an organic grass roots movement a HAREKATEH MARDOMI. I think it is yet to be seen who will EMERGE as the leader of this movement, it might be Moussavi, it might not be. The leader of THIS movement HAS TO RESPECT the wishes of the majority of people who are actually the MOVEMENT, and not the other way around.

The best thing we can do as a people is to not fall for a CULT OF PERSONALITY, NOR HERO WORSHIP this time. Those of us who were around in the 79 revolution know exactly what I am talking about.

Abedzaadeh

IPL Player
Jan 23, 2003
The Green Movement of Iran has moved way beyond its initial leaders. Moussavi is a part of the movement, but neither he or Karoubi has the final say in the direction of the movement. Just as a hypothetical, if tomorrow they come out and say, "for the sake of national unity, we accept the present government and we urge all our countrymen to cooperate with the President etc...", the people will reject that immediately and continue on with the demonstrations and their demands. In contrast with the 79 revolution which was deviated into a CULT OF PERSONALITY, this new revolution is STILL an organic grass roots movement a HAREKATEH MARDOMI. I think it is yet to be seen who will EMERGE as the leader of this movement, it might be Moussavi, it might not be. The leader of THIS movement HAS TO RESPECT the wishes of the majority of people who are actually the MOVEMENT, and not the other way around.

The best thing we can do as a people is to not fall for a CULT OF PERSONALITY, NOR HERO WORSHIP this time. Those of us who were around in the 79 revolution know exactly what I am talking about.
Yes and Moussavi has recognized that the people are the leaders and he is one of them but still if, god forbid hypothtically tomorrow MHM/Karroubi/Khatami drop it and accept AN as president, it will deal a severe blow to the movement. A sizable portion (I would say easily over 50%) will stop the protests and the remaining will lose steam.

ghilich

Bench Warmer
Oct 12, 2004
usa
Yes and Moussavi has recognized that the people are the leaders and he is one of them but still if, god forbid hypothtically tomorrow MHM/Karroubi/Khatami drop it and accept AN as president, it will deal a severe blow to the movement. A sizable portion (I would say easily over 50%) will stop the protests and the remaining will lose steam.
I think the nature of this movement is such that Moussavi has NO CHOICE but to follow the course and not give in to the illegitimate government's demands. Too much dirty water has gone under the bridge...

So we don't need to get sidetracked on the hypotethical, but should the worst happen, I do not believe the movement will stop, it will only RETOOL and keep going. These folks in Iran today HAVE HAD IT WITH AN, RAHBAR, SEPAH, BASIJI and the rest. They have not backed down yet, in the face of ALL SORTS OF PRESSURE AND KILLINGS, and there is no reason to think any sizeable portion of them will back down now, no matter what the government tries. The other factor is the internal dissension and fissure within the regime. Karoubi and Moussavi are BOTH from within this regime initially, and yet they reached their limits. So, the same may happen with the Sepah... it may fracture at some point ala the 79 revolution. This regime is in deep deep trouble, have NO friends outside Iran that matters at this point and are starting to be at each others throats internally. I think it is a question of how long they can hold out now, not a question of whether they will survive in the longterm.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
Mousavi's 5 suggestions is a positive step. But I highly doubt the regime will listen to any of it. Even if they implement one of those suggestions it is a good thing, as much for themselves as anything else. But they won't.
Today Jannati and Haeri issued war rallies and said those who demonstrate against the regime are fighting god and don't even deserve a trial. They should be killed. These blood suckers will kill people and with it they will destroy themselves.

I know how this will end :( there will be a bloodbath. Sooner or later they will kill people in the streets, all in the name of god and Islam. By then even the ordinary religious person becomes disgusted not just with the regime but with Islam.

On the negative side, many people will die. But on the positive side, the blood sucking regime will go and will take Islam with it. The Iran that emerges from its shadows will have learnt some very valuable lessons.

MIHANDUST

Bench Warmer
Oct 19, 2002
What was the purpose of Mousavi's annoncement? What did he want to reach by that?
I believe, as Mousavi has stated himself and some of you have mentioned here, that Mousavi should follow the people that are fighting for the freedom, not the other way around.

- MIHANDUST