My take on spain so far....

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Before I start let me just say I'm "neutral" on spain. As in, I didn't favour them to win the world cup, but at the same time I really wouldn't mind if they did.

Obviously this is a very talented team with half the starting 11 knowing each other real well from their club Barcelona. They are very good on the ball and with the ball as they've dominated possession in every game they've played. I have found them a bit blunt though. For a team with so much possession they don't create many chances and that has to be worrying going to the semi finals.

They have only scored 6 goals in 5 games. I know they have missed 2 penalties but still 6 goals in 5 games is pretty lean from a team with so much attacking potential! Torres has been nothing short of terrible and it seems the side gets invigorated once he is replaced. On the hand David Villa has been sensational having scored 5 out of his country's 6 goals. This of course is a double edged sword. Obviously the key to stopping Spain is to stop David Villa. The Swiss did it well and they're probably the most physical side Spain has played thus far in the tournament.

In the back, Spain has only conceded a couple of goals in the tournament, one being an unlucky deflection. The other however was from the least attacking side in the tournament and even though it was a rather fortuitous goal, I still believed it exposed a soft underbelly in Spain's defence line. They seem to struggle from aerial balls with both Portugal and Paraguay failing to cash in on good header opportunites created.

Overall, i would expect Spain to improve quite significantly if they want to beat Germany. This is unchartered territory for Spain as far their historical progress in the WC is concerned, so with the added pressure I don't know whether they are capable of lifting their game another notch. If they can do that of course, they would be worthy winners in my opinion.

Messi19

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
Germany hasn't faced a defense like Spain. With Casilias, Puyol, Pique, Ramos. England and Argentina both had horrible defense and goalkeepers. Spain doesn't have that problem and you add Sergio and Alonso on top you will have a solid team to counter Germany. if they start Llorente instead of Torres they will have a good chance.

ehsan

Legionnaire
Oct 18, 2002
fifa needs to put
Germany vs Urugya
Holland vs Spain
so we can have a proper final of germany v spain.

Good observation. The team is physically tired, others may call them weak but regardless They hold a better ball possession in every game because they have a efficient midfield that won a lot of silverware in the last 2 years including Euro . they didn't score a lot but almost an A- in the defense and Iker has it's own grade . Forward; with Torres stuttering , Villa is the only flag bearer up front having said that Iniesta must get all the credit for the victory against Paraguay . should they overcome their fatigue and not allowing Germany to score an early goal then they will have a chance to return home with the cup

Ardesheer

Bench Warmer
Jun 30, 2005
fifa needs to put
Germany vs Urugya
Holland vs Spain
so we can have a proper final of germany v spain.
The right final is between Germany and Holland. Spain is not final material. Spain has not done anything to impress to be worthy of the final game. Holland eliminated Brazil. Spain has been all hype so far.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Germany hasn't faced a defense like Spain. With Casilias, Puyol, Pique, Ramos. England and Argentina both had horrible defense and goalkeepers. Spain doesn't have that problem and you add Sergio and Alonso on top you will have a solid team to counter Germany. if they start Llorente instead of Torres they will have a good chance.
For all the love I have for Llorente, both German defenders have it rather easy against taller players, while a mobile player going directly against them could give them a hard time. This might be Torres game.

Aug 26, 2005
Especially considering Torres did it against their (Germany's) defense himself only 2 years ago scoring in that Euro final. It would make sense. But on current form/fitness, Torres looks a bit lost.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
^he needs fitness for 70 minutes. After that, either Llorente, young Bobby Horry(Pedro), Mata or whoever else can come in.

Also, I'm not a fan of double pivot for Spain but this might be the first game playing Xabi Alonso and Busquets together over Cesc might make sense.

Aug 26, 2005
Personally, I'd play Pedro. Spain looked way dangerous when he came on. He gives them width and he'll keep the German wide-men busy. He is good going forward and pulls his sleeves up and helps out in defense.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
^yeah....and IF they make it thanks to him, they should just build a statue for Pep Guardiola in Madrid, preferably somewhere close to Bernabeu, for making sure Pedro stays at Barca and doesn't go anywhere else.
Likewise, either Germany should give Van Gaal honorary citizenship for Müller, Schweinsteiger's transformation, not playing Klose to have him fully fit for the World Cup etc.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
I fear it wouldnt matter who the spanish line up at the end. They will have to fly back home either way ;)

Now on a serious note: I think if the Germans play the same way as they did against Argentina, it really really doesnt matter who the spanish lineup against them, they will be screwed earlier or sooner.

The problem is Müller is an integral Part of this german team and he is susspended. From what i have heard in Radio on my way back home from work, it could be Trochowski replacing him. I wouldnt underestimate Trochowski, he is technically better than Müller and he is able to dribble past opponents, Müller is more a dynamic player, its amazing he sometimes starts sprinting in their own half and never slows down until he get the ball in opponents Box! I have seen several defenders wondering about this guys style like: what the fuck is this guy trying to do? sprinting down the line 60 times a game? This is why Müller is ALWAYS open. He is extremly fit and tenacious he is always an open target for the midfield to get him the ball and i fear this open target will be missed in Germanys game. Now the others have to do more to get themselves open.

3-1 Germany

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Germany should give Van Gaal honorary citizenship for Müller, Schweinsteiger's transformation, not playing Klose to have him fully fit for the World Cup etc.
We rather save that citizenship for some Kosovo Albanian than for a dutch käskopp :)

I fear it wouldnt matter who the spanish line up at the end. They will have to fly back home either way ;)

Now on a serious note: I think if the Germans play the same way as they did against Argentina, it really really doesnt matter who the spanish lineup against them, they will be screwed earlier or sooner.

The problem is Müller is an integral Part of this german team and he is susspended. From what i have heard in Radio on my way back home from work, it could be Trochowski replacing him. I wouldnt underestimate Trochowski, he is technically better than Müller and he is able to dribble past opponents, Müller is more a dynamic player, its amazing he sometimes starts sprinting in their own half and never slows down until he get the ball in opponents Box! I have seen several defenders wondering about this guys style like: what the fuck is this guy trying to do? sprinting down the line 60 times a game? This is why Müller is ALWAYS open. He is extremly fit and tenacious he is always an open target for the midfield to get him the ball and i fear this open target will be missed in Germanys game. Now the others have to do more to get themselves open.

3-1 Germany

3-1 Germany ? Well ok. Don't forget German beat a clueless Argentina and hopeless English . this is another level my friend ;)

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Well the spanish didnt look like having much of a clue so far either ;)
Btw, the Argentine were already called the next world champions before the germans made them become clueless.

Good luck though.

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007
My take on spain is that they are one of the most if not the most uninteresting, lame and ordinary soccer teams ever making it to semis of the world cups.

I also think they should thank their lucky stars for the greatest/easiest draw one team cold ever ask for in the knockout stages (except for turkey)

Spain is the most painfull team to watch

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007

I wonder now that we know messi is the most overrated player of all time, can we also agree that this spain team is the most overrated team of all time?

Jun 26, 2007
Well ok. Don't forget German beat a clueless Argentina and hopeless English . this is another level my friend ;)
right!
and once Germany thrashes Spain, the Dutch (assuming they reach the final) would say "well...dont forget Germany beat a clueless Argentina, a hopeless English, and a pathetic Spain. This is another level my friend"
;)

It just never ends...

This Germany is the greatest team of all time...beating England, Argentina, Spain, Holland in one tournoment!

God it feels good to be German

:party-smi

right!
and once Germany thrashes Spain, the Dutch (assuming they reach the final) would say "well...dont forget Germany beat a clueless Argentina, a hopeless English, and a pathetic Spain. This is another level my friend"
;)

It just never ends...

This Germany is the greatest team of all time...beating England, Argentina, Spain, Holland in one tournoment!

God it feels good to be German

:party-smi
Then good Luck My friend but you are just missing the lesson number one in football . Never Ever speak surely about any match outcome....