My travels in Andalusia (video)

pendar

Bench Warmer
Oct 17, 2002
T dot
www.legofish.com
Me and my wife recently visited southern Spain with a group of family and friends. It is truly a one-of-a-kind place. I took some clips and assembled a short video.

[video=vimeo;29321258]http://vimeo.com/29321258[/video]

p.s. ever since I watched Soroush-k's video [a long time ago] I wanted to make a video like that. Thanks Soroush for the inspiration.

Oct 20, 2003
Very nice video and music indeed. Looks like you went to Granada (Alhambra) and Cordoba (the Grand Mosque), wondering if you went to Seville as well and what your take was? Any language problems? I hear pick-pocketing specially in Granada is a problem, any comments?

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
Very nice video and music indeed. Looks like you went to Granada (Alhambra) and Cordoba (the Grand Mosque), wondering if you went to Seville as well and what your take was? Any language problems? I hear pick-pocketing specially in Granada is a problem, any comments?
i know the question was towards pendar but let me tell you something, Granada is the best place in Spain, i always have an amazing time when i go , havnt had a single problem BUT there are pick-pocketing EVERY WHERE in the world , even Canada and US so u just have to be careful, as we say in farsi "Maaleto seft bechasb, hamsayaro dozd nakon" as for language not at all, i speak abit of spanish that was enough to get me around. but even if u didnt speak that u would be fine. they are the NICEST people in spain i have to say.

Oct 20, 2003
Dear Pooya, I have heard lots of horror stories from those who have visited areas with big Gypsy populations. They seem to victimize elderly tourist and the ones who are not aware of this issue and their surroundings. That is not going to stop me from going as I think Andalusia is one of the must see areas of the world. I know just a few words in Spanish, such as Donde esta el baño? which is the most important question IMHO :).

Mr Thick

IPL Player
Oct 21, 2002
I too have had nothing but pleasant memories of Spain. They are in my book as one of the friendliest people on the planet, you never feel out of place there.

pendar

Bench Warmer
Oct 17, 2002
T dot
www.legofish.com
Pooya jan, you should definitely do it. The trick is to take very short clips (5-6 seconds). Then pick a good music and sync the cuts. It's really fun (p.s. I used Final Cut, which I found immensely user-friendly).

Iranpaak, good questions, and I'm afraid Pooya won't be too happy with my answer. I won't generalize at all, but our personal experience with spanish people was mixed. It was the worst in Madrid, where my wife had her wallet stolen from her bag the very first day [but as Pooya said, if you're careful with your belongings, pickpockets will never have a chance]. We also had a few instances of people trying to (or actually getting away with) over-charging us. But what surprised me the most was the generally poor attitude of people. I was expecting people to be a lot more friendly and welcoming. It's quite possible that we just got unlucky, but that was the way we saw it. I'm sure their hapless economic situation was a factor as well.

Our encounters with people got friendlier as we went more south (although we still had some bad experiences). We stayed in Seville and Malaga, and only took day-trips to Cordoba and Granada. The Moorish palace you see in the video between Mezquita and Alhambra is the Alcazar in Seville, which was one of my favorite places.

As for language, some people in our party spoke a bit of spanish. I would say the majority of people we encountered didn't speak any English (even people at the Airport security). Still, as long as you know a few basic words, you can always get by. (In contrast, we spent half a day in Lisbon, and even the unlikeliest people we encountered spoke decent English and seemed eager to do so).

Last edited:

Sepahan

Bench Warmer
Jan 4, 2003
Nice job Pendar jan, I never been to Spain but I will soon. Thanks for the video. Where is the min 3:55?
Did you use Video cam or DSLR for the clips?

Sepahan

Bench Warmer
Jan 4, 2003
I remember Soroush video, it was nicely done and I think he used Panasonic G2. Have not seen him posting in long time. Hopefully everything is going well for him.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
i know the question was towards pendar but let me tell you something, Granada is the best place in Spain, i always have an amazing time when i go , havnt had a single problem BUT there are pick-pocketing EVERY WHERE in the world , even Canada and US so u just have to be careful, as we say in farsi "Maaleto seft bechasb, hamsayaro dozd nakon" as for language not at all, i speak abit of spanish that was enough to get me around. but even if u didnt speak that u would be fine. they are the NICEST people in spain i have to say.
There are no pick-pockets in Iran.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Nice one. Thanks for sharing. About Spain: I have spent alot of time travelling around in europe from Skandinavia to east block countries to south, south east and soutwest part of this continent. The Spaniards are hands down the best people i have met in southern part of europe. I have been to spain 7 times, i have been to andalusia, castillia, catalunia, galicia... no matter where i went to, i met friendly people who were ready to be helpfull or just to not disturb you. This kind of mentality you dont find everywhere in southern europe. Italians as example do laugh in your face but when you buy something, dont miss to take a look at your change! The friendliest guy over there is usually the one that steals your money be it only one euro! In spain i learned to trust them, even the gypsies there are trustable because they are an itegral part of spanish society and dont have to deal with much of hatred and prejudice like in other european states. That makes them calm and actually completely integrated. I never have to count the change in spain, they simply dont do it. They are in alot of ways more reserved than the italians but their reservation is not because they are unfriendly but because they are just more honest and dont laugh when they dont want to laugh and i always appreciate that. I dont need someone to laugh in my face because i come as a rich tourist. I want them to treat me as normal as they would treat their own people and they just do that. If you go to Italy with your girl friend or wife, watch out! You turn your back to your girl friend and someone will try to hook her up lol, that doesnt happen in spain though, they have a very healthy kind of respect towards couples.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
Iranpaak, good questions, and I'm afraid Pooya won't be too happy with my answer. I won't generalize at all, but our personal experience with spanish people was mixed. It was the worst in Madrid, where my wife had her wallet stolen from her bag the very first day [but as Pooya said, if you're careful with your belongings, pickpockets will never have a chance]. We also had a few instances of people trying to (or actually getting away with) over-charging us. But what surprised me the most was the generally poor attitude of people. I was expecting people to be a lot more friendly and welcoming. It's quite possible that we just got unlucky, but that was the way we saw it. I'm sure their hapless economic situation was a factor as well.
which part of Madrid did this happen? dude you should go once with me, i show you the city better than the people who live there :) who over-charged you? let me know which areas did this happen ! after Granada i think Madrid is the best place, i been there many times and i have enjoyed each and every min of it.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
Dear Pooya, I have heard lots of horror stories from those who have visited areas with big Gypsy populations. They seem to victimize elderly tourist and the ones who are not aware of this issue and their surroundings. That is not going to stop me from going as I think Andalusia is one of the must see areas of the world. I know just a few words in Spanish, such as Donde esta el baño? which is the most important question IMHO :).
hehehe the first sentence i learned in Spanish was Que tan grande son tus senos???? this will either land a slap on your face or gets u to the bed room :)

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
aw beautiful video Pendar! thanx for sharing! :) glad u enjoyed ur trip(sorry to hear about pickpocketing ur wife's purse)..
Im going to Seville this xmas..wow having seeing its pics before and now ur amazing video, cant wait to get there!:)