My two cents...

Old-Faraz

Bench Warmer
Mar 19, 2004
First of all, an overall disapointing gmae from TM....
I was watching the game on Iranian TV and in the half time and after the game Jalali was analyzing the game and he was right on the money with his analysis. For those who did not see him, here are his major points...
1- Karimi needs to learn to serve the team. He did not contribute at all. The Bahraini players knew he is going to dribble and will never pass. They covered him with 3-5 players and he always lost the ball after dribbling one or two players.
2- Iran plays more as a collection of individuals rather than a team. This is the weakest element of the team. Against weaker teams like Bahrain, TM may survive playing like this, but in the WC it will be the "recess hour" (Zange-tafrih) for other teams if it plays like this.

In my opinion, Zandi should not have been substituted. He was one of the few players who was actually passing the ball and not holding on to it forever. The best substitutions would have been taking Daei, Karimi out and replacing them with Kazemian, and Azizi (or mobali) and moving Hashemian to CF, where he should be playing in the first place. The third sub could be Enayati for Hashemian.

I hope this is the last time we see this type pf play from TM. Personally I would like to see more of Kazemian and Mobali and less of Karimi and Daei. As much as I like watching Karimi dribble the ball, I have not seen too many games where he has really been effective, since HE DOES NOT PLAY TEAM BALL.

zoozanagheh

Bench Warmer
Feb 6, 2005
Very good points. Thanks for sharing them.
However, I need to mention that Azizi and Enayati were not amongst the 18 players for this game. Mobali and Borhani were available though.

Oct 18, 2002
Very good points indeed.

One thing to say, the whole team infrastructure sucks so much that sometimes I feel Karimi has no other choice than to dribble.
Yes, Zandi was the only player that passed the ball continually
good point

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
You guys are all right. But all these things go back to the coach. If Karimi dribbled the ball three times, and that's not what the coach had told him to do, he would pull him out. He does that, because that's what he has been told to do. He has been told to do that, because Branko doesn't know shit about soccer and is always hoping that through some individual miracle, we score a freak goal. That's how we've made it this far, but I don't think we are sitting on unlimited luck here!

homaie

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2003
NY/NJ in USA
Great points Old-Faraz. Daie and Karimi should have been subed earlier. In the long run Zandi will be beneficial to TM with his passing abilities and if Branko let him to move forward more.