NCAA Football

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Alabama and Georgia all the way. I played football myself and i am watching football for 20 years but i turned a fan of both teams after i watching the SEC championship game between these two teams in 2012. That was hands down the best football game i have ever watched and that means a lot because i am a big football fan and barely miss any good college or pro game.

I love Cooper and Drake playing for Alabama. Both guys are already pros in my opinion. Great talent. Georgia always struggles to reach their potential because Georgia is a state full of talent where scouts of other colleges are investing a lot of time and money to get those guys recruited. Georgia always has talent but they fail to put it all together. Their best opportunity to finally go all the way was 2012 but they lost the SEC championship game vs. Alabama in that memorable game i mentioned above. Todd Gurley is a heck of a RB. I think Gurley (Georgia), Gordon (Wisconsin) and Yeldon (Alabama) are the three best RBs in college football right now with the slight edge going to Melvin Gordon in my opinion.

Watch Alabama vs. Georgia in 2012 SEC championship game. Really, i have never seen a better football game before and after this game.

[video=youtube;3VJg2zJoYxE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VJg2zJoYxE[/video]

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Other teams i like to watch are Wisconsin, Pitt and Penn State. Hope Penn State can recover from that 4 year ban from Bowl game which has affected their recruiting big time. Good talents simply refuse to go to Penn State when they know they are not gonna play in bowl games to showcase themselves.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I played a little bit of football as well for two years wr/cb at Crescenta Valley High from 98-2000, our coach is now at a bigger school and my favorite Engish teacher is now the new coach. He is doing a good job anyways the teams I follow are Michigan State Spartans and the USC Trojans.
MSU should be favored in the rest of their games. USC is too unpredictable and hopefully next year they will be able to recruit well now that they will have a full 25 scholarships alloted. The Spartans have a top 20 recruiting class and their defense is young but good so they should be just fine and their offense is more than capable of taking over games. This was the last Rose Bowl game between Michigan State and Stanford, Pasadena was about 2/3 pro green.
To make matters worse, our star MLB can't play because he spoke to an agent the hero of th game was the back up who made two crucial stops on 3rd and 4th and 1 late in the 4th. I finally got to watch Michigan State in Pasadena. Here is the game. Most pundits picked Stanford, unless you were from Michigan. Michigan State won.

[video=youtube;mDom2DsYLOs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDom2DsYLOs[/video]

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Here is a hot topic we should discuss if you were the President of the NCAA and you could change the playoff format. How many teams would you add and what is your format? In my format I would extend the field from four teams to eight teams. If you go to the popular sixteen teams, like you have at the FCS level and other divisions, then you are forcing the players to go through too many rounds. Then you get the into the injury and safety issues. is just too much because you already have the conference championship. I would make it eight teams and I would have the five slot guaranteed to each "Power five" conference(SEC, Pac12, ACC, Big10 and the Big 12). Then for people who want to whine,' Why is there only one SEC team or why isn't Boise St or BYU in it? Well now you have three automatic births.
That way in the first round you have #1v #8, #2 v #7, #3 v #6 and #4 plays against #5 in the elite eight. Teams ranked 6-8 can be anybody it could be a 2nd SEC team, a 2nd team from another power conference or a non power five school. That way is you are a Boise State or a BYU, you have a fighter's chance. If you are #9 or 10 that is your tough luck go play in your bowl game and better luck next year. In the 2nd round (assuming the top seeds advance) you will have #1 v #4 and #2 v #3 in the final four. Then in the National Championship game, you will have the winners of the final duke it out to earn the right to be called FBS National Champions. The format we have currently is nice but all they really did was add one extra game and two extra teams and called it a "playoffs" well it is really like a de-facto final four, which is cool but then it sucks for teams ranked 5-8. In this format you bascally have your regular BCS guys go in a eight team tournament it will rake in so much revenue and become the next biggest thing(right behind the Super Bowl) in the US.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
couple of years ago i was watching a big ten football game between Minnesota and some other big ten school (i dont remember) and i was so impressed with one young guy named Donnell Krikwood the Minnesota runningback. I just loved him the first time i saw him carry the ball. He was all no nonsense. Went straight through the line, trucked even linebackers let alone safties in the second level. I dont know what happened to him, he was not much of a cutter, he was all about punishing the one infront of him. Never avoided anyone. Great young runningback. Yesterday the Gophers beat Michigan btw. Loved it too. Bama won, Wisconsin won, Georgia won...all in all a great college football week.

[video=youtube;InV5yY3Jam8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InV5yY3Jam8[/video]

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
couple of years ago i was watching a big ten football game between Minnesota and some other big ten school (i dont remember) and i was so impressed with one young guy named Donnell Krikwood the Minnesota runningback. I just loved him the first time i saw him carry the ball. He was all no nonsense. Went straight through the line, trucked even linebackers let alone safties in the second level. I dont know what happened to him, he was not much of a cutter, he was all about punishing the one infront of him. Never avoided anyone. Great young runningback. Yesterday the Gophers beat Michigan btw. Loved it too. Bama won, Wisconsin won, Georgia won...all in all a great college football week.

He was good but if you like running and B10 football, and Minnesota, look no further to the mid 2,000's under Glen Mason Minnesota had two badass running backs Lawrence Marony and Marion Barber plus their QB was a scrambler as well Assad Abdul Khaluq. I loved watching that backfield they would rack up like over 300 yards rushing and they had a top 5 rushing attack. They were a joy to watch. Also if you like bruizer backs go to my team I loved watching T.J Duckett play at Michigan State. Too bad we were just ok and not what we are today back then but Duckett still had a stint with the Falcons here is Duckett vs Penn St. I"M GUESSING YOU PLAYED TILBACK lol. All of your clips are of running backs.

[video=youtube;qbp2mutjOqU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbp2mutjOqU[/video] He played a big part that year and that 99 team was one of the rare good MSU teams. That was when we had Saban. Now D'Antonio is pretty darn good. The entire Penn St D couldn't stop Duckett bulldozing his way into the end zone. It wasn't the big 80 yard run but look at the end when he just riders the Penn St guy and slams him into the end zone Duckett was very old school Big 10. It's an old clip so that is why it is choppy.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
I loved that Minnesota team. Specially Laurence Maroney was the kind of back i like. Big Ten used to produce tons of hard nosed backs. They say its the weather. Big Ten teams mostly reside in northern cities with hard winters, a lot of snow and rain that makes them harder, thats a special mentality. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Penn State...you always had a few tough no nonsense guys running through the line of scrimmage head first. I love it. The SEC is more competitive nowadays because they simply have the better recruiting environment. States like Georgia, Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Alabama...have lots of talent and basically and evidently more talented young players specially black players. When you look at Wisconsins team, i love them but they are too white. That means, they have always great TEs and GREAT o-lines but the D-line suffers from lack of the black players. They make the whole thing faster and stronger.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I loved that Minnesota team. Specially Laurence Maroney was the kind of back i like. Big Ten used to produce tons of hard nosed backs. They say its the weather. Big Ten teams mostly reside in northern cities with hard winters, a lot of snow and rain that makes them harder, thats a special mentality. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Penn State...you always had a few tough no nonsense guys running through the line of scrimmage head first. I love it. The SEC is more competitive nowadays because they simply have the better recruiting environment. States like Georgia, Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Alabama...have lots of talent and basically and evidently more talented young players specially black players. When you look at Wisconsins team, i love them but they are too white. That means, they have always great TEs and GREAT o-lines but the D-line suffers from lack of the black players. They make the whole thing faster and stronger.
Well not only they have better recruiting environment but minus Ohio St, they do better in recruiting because the SEC spends money like crazy on their football facilities. The reason why MSU is doing so well is we are getting guys like Darquez Denard(CB from Gerorgia) and we are injecting some southern flavor into our team at Michigan State. You bring up a fair point and you can add CA teams to that mix as well they(USC) another team I like gets SEC talent because of the same thing. Michigan State and most Big 10 schools back in the day always featured one hard nozed running back but the weather is not everything. For example, I'll bring up Michigan State because they are not very good and efficient at passing as well as running and East Lansing is a very cold area. You need the right personell and it took MSU 7 years of rebuilding before they got to this level so it takes time. That is what fan bases like Purdue need to remember.

Oh and btw I think Jerry Kill is doing a great job with the Gophers they are like where MSU was before, good defense, good running game but meh on passing. They need to work on that part and they will be a complete team.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Another back i liked to watch at college was Mikel Leshoure out of Illinois (another big ten school and famous for good running backs). This is one of the stories i never understood. Leshoure was such a great runner, he reminded me of Chris Ivory, his whole style the body type...but he never got it going after being drafted by the Lions. He is burried in the depth chart behind Bush, Bell and even another RB that i dont even know and i really realy dont understand why? I mean Bush is a force because of his hands. He is a dual threat but after him, Leshoure has got to be the most talented guy they have and they simply cant utilize him.

[video=youtube;f0M_PNAeylE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0M_PNAeylE[/video]

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
One of the reasons big ten teams are falling behind is also the fact that many big ten schools are still trying to carry the traditions of school and education first which is out dated nowadays. I mean whenever teams like Wisconsin or Northwestern face a team from deep south, the fans start holding up their car switch in order to say: Hey you might win this football game but we are the ones who go on and educate ourselves and get the jobs and the cars. A lot of northern traditionall schools still have principles which prevents them to go all in on recruits who have off field issues while the southern teams mostly dont give a damn about what the guy is all about aslong as he plays good football. Ohio State and Michigan State are trying to change in that direction. At Wisconsin or Northwestern, there are still some limitation meaning when a guy wants to play football, he also needs to show he is willing to study aswell. Its changing fast though because even in college everything is going towards money and when money becomes a big issue, educational principles become less important.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
One of the reasons big ten teams are falling behind is also the fact that many big ten schools are still trying to carry the traditions of school and education first which is out dated nowadays. I mean whenever teams like Wisconsin or Northwestern face a team from deep south, the fans start holding up their car switch in order to say: Hey you might win this football game but we are the ones who go on and educate ourselves and get the jobs and the cars. A lot of northern traditionall schools still have principles which prevents them to go all in on recruits who have off field issues while the southern teams mostly dont give a damn about what the guy is all about aslong as he plays good football. Ohio State and Michigan State are trying to change in that direction. At Wisconsin or Northwestern, there are still some limitation meaning when a guy wants to play football, he also needs to show he is willing to study aswell. Its changing fast though because even in college everything is going towards money and when money becomes a big issue, educational principles become less important.
True, despite the fact that Ohio State and Michigan State are pretty decent in academics(they still crack the top 75 not bad for state schools) they simply don't care if you can play football, come on down. Only thing is Ohio State does have an advantage because Urban Meyer played in SEC country and in Florida so he still has connections with the state of Florida but Michigan State is spending money on their football facilities now that they are the class of the Big and now there is some real bad blood between D'Antonio and Meyer. Two years ago Meyer stole a commit from MSU but this year MSU got even and stole a 4 star recruit verbal commit from OSU and now the school up north is Michigan State not Michigan.

You bring up a fair point the academics thing needs to stop honestly at most schools, as long as you are a top 100, people don't care about academics they care about having a wining football program and basketball too. That is why MSU and OSU should dominate in football and in basketball for the next decade. Oh and they take a different approach but both teams can pass the ball, only OSU runs the spread and MSU does it through the traditional pro style offense but it's not your typical Big 10 run on 1st, run on 2nd and run on 3rd, MSU will pass it on 1st. Speaking of pro style vs spread that is why MSU's qb is still playing spread qb's take a lot of shots and have a tendency and a bigger chance of getting injured that is why pocket passers and even scramblers prefer to play in the pro advantage MSU on that front.

BTW Good post and I don't know what happened to LeShoure I remember him because the Lions are my 2nd favorite team. We can go down the list from Michigan, Penn St, MSU, OSU and down on Minnesota and just pluck out great backs. I say the three best backs in the Big this year are (in any order you want) Melvin Gordon Wisconsin, Ameer Abdullah NEB and Jeremy Langford MSU. Now it is fair to note Wisconsin sure runs it a lot so that stat is misleading for Gordon. MSU runs a balanced offense so Langford isn't going to get 1600 yards like Adbullah and Gordon but he will still find the enzdone 18-20 times a game and rack up over 1400 yards. Cook passes it for over 3,000 yards so that is why MSU doesn't run it all the time like Wisconsin but they could if they wanted to play a Wisconsin style.

Last edited:

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
According to stats, Northwestern has the highest graduation rate in country with a rate of 97 which is impressive when you take into account that they currently are also playing good football. Schools behind Northwestern are:
2- Notre Dame
3- Boston College
4- Miami (surprise)
5- Rice
6- Duke
7- Rutgers
8- Penn State
9- Stanford
10- Army

No SEC team in top ten. The worst 10 are

1- Florida Internationl
2- Central Michigan
3- Oklahoma
4- Cal
5- San Jose State
6- Florida Atlantic
7- Eastern Michigan
8- Washington State
9- Arizona
10- south Florida

Alot of SEC teams are not far behind though with Arkansas and South Carolina leading the pack. USC is the 19th worst team which might surprise you but not me.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
BTW Good post and I don't know what happened to LeShoure I remember him because the Lions are my 2nd favorite team. We can go down the list from Michigan, Penn St, MSU, OSU and down on Minnesota and just pluck out great backs. I say the three best backs in the Big this year are (in any order you want) Melvin Gordon Wisconsin, Ameer Abdullah NEB and Jeremy Langford MSU. Now it is fair to note Wisconsin sure runs it a lot so that stat is misleading for Gordon. MSU runs a balanced offense so Langford isn't going to get 1600 yards like Adbullah and Gordon but he will still find the enzdone 18-20 times a game and rack up over 1400 yards. Cook passes it for over 3,000 yards so that is why MSU doesn't run it all the time like Wisconsin but they could if they wanted to play a Wisconsin style.
Well even if they wanted, MSU simply doesnt have the tools to run the ball like Wisconsin. Yes i am a fan but its a fact that the Wisconsin oline is one of the biggest in all of football. Last years they were bigger and heavier than the OLine of the Packers. They just push back the opponent for 3 or 4 yards so the RB only needs to run behind them and find the whole at the right moment and hit it. Melvin Gordon is the best back in the country and Langford is not in his class. Its not even close when it comes to pure ability. The Closest RB to Melvin Gordon is Todd Gurley of Georgia and Yeldon of Alabama. In the Big Ten, Gordon is the undisputed king.