New approach: Flights from US to Iran

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
I think it wont have anything to do with sanctions.
Posted this in the news thread earlier, but perhaps it's good to have some discussion on it in its own thread. This is obviously at the study stage at this point, but it would very much be affected by existing sanctions, unless it receives an exemption (I believe through a presidential decree) under the humanitarian clauses. Without that, no American company would be able to provide refuelling for the planes, airports would not be allowed to sign contracts with the airline and the airline can not sell tickets through any US registered company or outlet.

Oct 18, 2002
Posted this in the news thread earlier, but perhaps it's good to have some discussion on it in its own thread. This is obviously at the study stage at this point, but it would very much be affected by existing sanctions, unless it receives an exemption (I believe through a presidential decree) under the humanitarian clauses. Without that, no American company would be able to provide refuelling for the planes, airports would not be allowed to sign contracts with the airline and the airline can not sell tickets through any US registered company or outlet.
True, hence this is the reason why Iran Air does not get any fuel in Germany and has to land in Bosnia for instance.
However, Lufthansa still has flights to Tehran and I believe in certain extend flights are not under the sanction treaty.
Nevertheless, as you have said, under humanitarian clause they might do smth. soon and I am certain we will have straight flights early 2014

Hassan1980

Bench Warmer
Feb 17, 2008
I admire Rohani for trying, but he has to know that there are retards inside and outside the country that try everything to stop his developments.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Iran does not have the capability for such long intercontinental flights with those old 747s.

They need 777 or 787.

alternatively they can get A340 or A350.

but I doubt they will be able to get those kind of aircrafts into service anytime soon.

There is always the possibility to have another airline operate the flights for Iran Air.

Oct 1, 2004
Iran does not have the capability for such long intercontinental flights with those old 747s.

They need 777 or 787.

alternatively they can get A340 or A350.

but I doubt they will be able to get those kind of aircrafts into service anytime soon.

There is always the possibility to have another airline operate the flights for Iran Air.
Are the airline industry sanctions one of those which can be removed by executive order?

Should that be the case I think Iran Air, Aseman Airlines and Co would love to buy some Boeings at regular price.

May 12, 2007
Iran Air has stopped to earn Money since the sanctions started. This won't help them either. But it is a way to start relationship. American Airline should start it's office in Tehran. Few hundred basijis will demonstrate infront of the office and it will be closed again.
Every way I think there is one and only one solution that is IRI should go.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Are the airline industry sanctions one of those which can be removed by executive order?

Should that be the case I think Iran Air, Aseman Airlines and Co would love to buy some Boeings at regular price.
I very much doubt Obama would go out of his way to allow Iran buying brand new planes.

even during khatami's time U.S blocked Iran buying new Airbuses due to GE engines and Radar technology that was deemed eligible for dual military and civilian use.

but generally it is feasible that obama would lift bans on spare parts being sold to iran.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
Rouhani orders study of the possibility of direct Iran-US flights? It reads as if he was the one who stopped it. he must surely know what the road blocks are. They can't even refuel planes. Anyway, a LOT has to happen before we see this. It is such a high visibility gesture that will be hard to justify with little in return. Embassies will open before we see commercial flights to Tehran. On other oddity that I have always wondered is that even during Shah's time, American aviation did little business in Iran. I think only PanAm or may be TWA flew there. American, Delta, United etc. never did but they served a lot of major Middle East destinations.

May 12, 2007
پرواز مستقیم ایران و آمریکا آخر و عاقبت ندارد

قانون آنلاین: اکبر ترکان از دستور رئیس جمهور مبنی بر بررسی چگونگی برقراری خط پروازی مستقیم ایران و آمریکا خبر داد. قبل از هر چیز مخالفت شدید خودمان را با این طرح اعلام می***کنیم. به چند دلیل:

1) اگر پرواز مستقیم بین ایران و آمریکا ایجاد شود آمریکا مستقیما برای ما چمدان پول می***فرستد، درحالی که مزه اش به این است که ما پنهانی چمدان پول دریافت کنیم و بعدا توسط روزنامه کیهان افشا شویم.

2) اگر پرواز مستقیم بین ایران و آمریکا ایجاد شود ما وسوسه می***شویم که برویم و فیلم***های***هالیوودی را در خاک دشمن به***صورت سه بعدی نگاه کنیم، در حالی که مزه***اش به این است که با هزار تومان کپی دی وی دی اش را تهیه کرده و به ریش آمریکایی***های ساده لوح که برای دیدن یک فیلم این همه خرج می***کنند بخندیم.

3) اگر پرواز مستقیم بین ایران و آمریکا شکل بگیرد طبیعتا آمریکایی***ها هم دلشان می***خواهد بیایند و ایران را از نزدیک ببینند. با توجه به این که هر آمریکایی که بخواهد ایران را از نزدیک ببیند حتما جاسوس است و قصد و نیتی دارد نیروی انتظامی***مجبور می***شود تمام نیروی خود را صرف برخورد با این عناصر کند و به این ترتیب از وظیفه اصلی خود که شناسایی و تعقیب ساپورت***های خطرناک و مانتوهای جنایتکار است بازمی***ماند.

4) وقتی که به دلایل فوق الذکر وضعیت حجاب از کنترل خارج شود، جوانان آمریکایی با دیدن تیپ***های رنگارنگ دلربا گونه دچار وادادگی می***شوند و بعد از مدتی همین مدل***ها را در کشور خود پیاده می***کنند. بعد آمریکا به ما می***گوید ایران ما را مورد تهاجم فرهنگی قرار داده و آن***وقت یک چیزی هم بدهکار می***شویم. تازه امثال حسن عباسی و نادرطالب زاده بیکار می***شوند و آمار بیکاری 30،40 درصد می***رود بالا!

5) اگر پرواز مستقیم بین ایران و آمریکا ایجاد شود، مسلما بعضی از هموطنان غیور و پرانرژی آخر هفته برای دیدن شگفتی***های آفرینش می***روند لاس وگاس. آنوقت تایلند قهر نمی***کند و نمی***گوید نو که اومد به بازار کهنه شود دل آزار؟ به***هرحال درست نیست آدم پیشرفت که می***کند زمین***های خاکی را که از آن جا شروع کرده فراموش کند!

6) اگر پرواز مستقیم بین ایران و آمریکا ایجاد شود انتظارها بالا می***رود. مثلا دیروز پسر همسایه ما بعد از شنیدن خبر احتمال ایجاد پرواز مستقیم بین ایران و آمریکا رفته بود توی حس و در حالی که خود را وسط کنسرتی در برج میلاد تصور می***کرد شانه***هایش را بالا می***انداخت و با حرکات چشم و ابرو می***گفت: خانم گل آی خانم گل برام سخته تحمل ... تازه می***خواست یخ روابط را باز کند و خانم گل را از آن***ور پل رد کند و بیاورد این ور پل!

در پایان لازم می***دانم به دولت بگویم ای دولت اعتدال! بی خیال این پرواز مستقیم شو که آخر و عاقبت ندارد و آتشش دامان همه ما را خواهد گرفت. لااقل اگر بی خیال نمی***شوی مرام داشته باش و یک مسیر زمینی بگذار برای ما اقشار کم درآمد که لااقل بتوانیم با اتوبوس برویم نیویورک. چیه؟ ما هم دل داریم دیگه. البته مرگ بر آمریکا ولی خب، آدمی***است دیگر.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
This is a pipe dream. Embassies will open before you see Iran Air planes at JFK. BTW, Iran Air had nonstop flights from Tehran to JFK on brand new 747 SP. It was a 16 hour flight that landed at some ungodly hour in the morning. Student fare was $500 if I remember correctly.

Oct 18, 2002
I am sure the US will not allow those decrepit old airplanes to fly in its air space. They will need to sell Iran planes first.
Well, if Iran Air is allowed to European airspace and it passed the inspections, it will also have no problems to land in the US.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
I am sure the US will not allow those decrepit old airplanes to fly in its air space. They will need to sell Iran planes first.
sure .... one way they can show their good intentions towards people of Iran and their own Iranian /American citizens ,after all it is us ordinary people who fly in them most , officials fly their own safe and well maintained planes .