No iPad for you

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
^^What's so funny about that??

They should sue their a$$es. They just can't do something like that! They're American citizens!!! Back to 18:th century!

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
This is quite crazy and should be an easy lawsuit for the right lawyer. Clear admittance of racial profiling by a $500 Billion corporation. Their policy is nothing new, but to actually refuse to sell to a US citizen based on their ethnicity is a serious offense.

btw LOOOOOOL@ No iPad for you

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
I gave this a bit of thinking and I believe this is another smart advertising trick by Apple.

By creating a seemingly innocent/controversial incident and giving it exposure in the media, they have just convinced some average Joes that being able to buy from Apple is a privilege.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
There is such a thing as Export Control. However, this is what happens when you delegate interpreting and enforcing it to a teenager on minimum wage. The whole thing is more comical considering that iPhones and the rest are made in China to being with.

Oct 20, 2003
There is such a thing as Export Control. However, this is what happens when you delegate interpreting and enforcing it to a teenager on minimum wage.
Buying an iPad or iPhone from a store in the US is not considered "Export". So it OK with you to delegate interpreting and enforcing the law to the sales person who could have asked the buyer if the iPad is for export or no. Like to know how you came up with the conclusion the girl is a) a teenager and b) am minimum wage earner?
When one orders a computer online, one is asked if the item being purchased is for export or not, the vendor will take the buyer's word for it, they do not deny the sale based on how your name is spelled, do they.
It was absolutely wrong for the sales person to deny the sale.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
^^What's so funny about that??

They should sue their a$$es. They just can't do something like that! They're American citizens!!! Back to 18:th century!
what do you want me to do? cry? of course it's funny, specially since I got my iPad in the US too and the guy was the nicest person ever and helped me like no support ever and even got me a US iTunes account...which is great..

So..the whole story is very very funny to me...since it's so damn stupid it's hard to believe. Anyway, I should find out on my next US trip whether I can get stuff or not. Haha

Oct 20, 2003
So..the whole story is very very funny to me...since it's so damn stupid it's hard to believe. Anyway, I should find out on my next US trip whether I can get stuff or not. Haha
Try not to speak Farsi when you enter a certain place in Los Vegas on your next trip ;).

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
Buying an iPad or iPhone from a store in the US is not considered "Export". So it OK with you to delegate interpreting and enforcing the law to the sales person who could have asked the buyer if the iPad is for export or no. Like to know how you came up with the conclusion the girl is a) a teenager and b) am minimum wage earner?
When one orders a computer online, one is asked if the item being purchased is for export or not, the vendor will take the buyer's word for it, they do not deny the sale based on how your name is spelled, do they.
It was absolutely wrong for the sales person to deny the sale.
I am not disagreeing with anything you said. BTW, how did they know they are speaking Farsi? Could it be that they volunteered more information to the clerk that they had to? I also learned that even taking a laptop to Iran is illegal.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Try not to speak Farsi when you enter a certain place in Los Vegas on your next trip ;).
no worries...there I'm always Sebastian... ;)

Btw. since you can order online anyway...just saying, usually Iranian names are pretty recognizable, except when they are Moe or John or whatever, but then even the last name should be. Just saying, if this was Apple policy and not some store manager not understanding English, people would have a point. ;)

Oct 18, 2002
I don't understand this. Did she willingly admit to buying and sending this to Iran? Or was she discriminated against simply because she was speaking Farsi. If the latter is true then this is an easy Sue and she will be a rich woman soon. If the first part is true then the issue is more complicated. I just want to see how the whole thing was initiated. I can tell you if someone comes and tells me "you speak Farsi and I can not sell anything to you" would get a nice rebuttal and a even faster call from a lawyer.

Apr 10, 2003
Let me think. Does apple store employee know the meaning of Export? Bringing this up since president of United States George Bush (Son) came out and told reporters “ most of the import in this country is from overseas”

Also Apple store employee must have been a language expert that he or she realized her Farsi speaking is not from Tajikistan or Afghanistan. I rest my case.

Now this girl should sue apple right away to prevent future discrimination and racial profiling ( or was it random chk) and then she can buy an Apple store. 

Persian has ca. 110 million native speakers, holding official status respectively in Iran, Afghanistan and Tajikistan. For centuries Persian has also been a prestigious cultural language in Central Asia, South Asia, and Western Asia.[8]

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/355032/20120621/apple-inc-aapl-farsi-iran-ipad-racial.htm

Apple spokesman Steve Dowling told the Daily News "Our retail stores are proud to serve customers from around the world, of every ethnicity. Our store teams are multilingual and diversity is an important part of our culture. We don't discriminate against anyone."
Apple could risk legal liability if it sold a product knowing it would be sent to Iran, reported the BBC.
“But the issue we see is that employees are profiling people … singling them out for questioning about how they're using the product,” David Elliott, assistant policy director at NIAC told the Daily News. “Which is very odd and very disturbing.”
Sabet told WSBTV that the iPad was intended as a gift to her cousin in Iran, but said she didn't mention that to the clerk.
"It's a slippery slope," he said. "If someone is speaking Arabic are employees going to stop them and say 'are you from Syria?' and deny them service? Or if they're speaking Spanish, are they going to say are you from Cuba?"
Sabet said when she called Apple’s corporate customer relations an employee apologized told her she could buy an iPad online.

Oct 1, 2004
I am not disagreeing with anything you said. BTW, how did they know they are speaking Farsi? Could it be that they volunteered more information to the clerk that they had to? I also learned that even taking a laptop to Iran is illegal.
You know what, you're right, she was probably Qods force.