Obama just offered Iran ...

Oct 18, 2002
look I think you are reading too much into things.
the media needs a news cycle, wait to see if there beautiful girl abducted see what news the media covers the diplomacy or beautiful girl missing.

Iran and Britain had diplomatic relations that did not mean they had resolved all the west and Iranian differences.

but in the case of the u.s an Iran - U.S relation is not practical because then power establishment Iran has attached too much symbolism to American Embassy.

second, the u.s would not be interested in grand negotiation with iran that does not include Hezbollah.

the grandplan is way to complicated constructed and thus both sides will be happy if they reach small deal in three to six month time frame.
Guys, all, do you follow right now CNN. it is amazing how they give iran so much publicity. Non stop historical review and at the end of all stories, the viewer gets the taste that US and Iran want to sleep in the same bed soon :)

I just hope that this Obama step will be the first positive explotion Iran ever had. I personally think that soon Iranians will go down the street and ask rahbar to accept US friendship.

Oct 18, 2002
Every great speech giver knows how, where, why and when to use words - particularly when he's giving a speech to people of different tastes, backgrounds and wants. If it led YOU to believe that the US understands Iran's stance and is ready to do a deal with Iran, then his speech achieved its purpose. After all, that's what the Iranian populace was looking for. Having spent most of my life in the West, I have a tendency to look at these things more from a Western perspective - in that sense, I can tell you that there was nothing new in his speech that remotely hinted at a change of policy. So overall, I guess we agree that it was a good speech both for a domestic audience and the overseas audience - although I'm dying to see some Israeli reactions! ;)
Israel is currently in shock. Did you see those faces when Obama mentioned Iran in his speech many times. I was laughing my ass off when they felt like not being in the same boat. :)

In all fairness to him, he did hint at the NSA mishap right at the beginning of his speech actually. The reason it was included at the beginning of the speech is that the administration knew the US is going to receive a grilling from Rousseff (Brazil's president who went up just before Obama) on the issue, since they intercepted her personal calls! So, he said that going forward, the US is going to do its best to balance its security apparatus needs with the rights of its citizens. I was impressed with the semi-acceptance of wrong-doing - not something you'd ever hear from an IR official! ;)
The NSA problem, snowden and many more just showed how far behind US is when it comes to human rights and so called democracy. He had to spent at least 10 min to explain how much his gov and security department has failed to establish justice. Non of that was mention and this shows the president weakness in his legacy

And on the last paragraph, you're right. If Rohani accepts a deal under which the IR is domestically perceived as the loser, then it's a good situation for us and not a good one for Khamenei & Co. I just can't see how that would happen though. It's like Khamenei signing his own death warrant! Like all other dictators in the course of history they'd rather carry on fighting a losing battle than to surrender - even a miserable life for another two years would be better than committing political suicide now. That's how he'd look at it.
Me either but at the end, I doubt IRI can live like that for much longer. Cant wait to see Rohanis speech in few minutes. It can be the biggest diplomatic step any Iranian president has done so far. when indeed he comes with some very serious steps for a peaceful approach

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Guys, all, do you follow right now CNN. it is amazing how they give iran so much publicity. Non stop historical review and at the end of all stories, the viewer gets the taste that US and Iran want to sleep in the same bed soon :)

I just hope that this Obama step will be the first positive explotion Iran ever had. I personally think that soon Iranians will go down the street and ask rahbar to accept US friendship.
I haven't been watching TV (just the UN channel) but read a couple of articles and it seems FOX is going crazy. They apparently had Bolton on saying that "Rohani is bringing with him the P.T. Barnum doctrine–”There’s a sucker born every minute and he’s hoping there’s one in the White House right now.”! ;)

By the way, I don't know why the speeches are going so slow. We just started with the 1st speaker from the afternoon session - Costa Rica's president is cute by the way! Rohani's the 5th speaker after this - I'm guessing another hour at least.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Some Israeli reactions... By the way, they've said they're going to walk out of Rohani's speech:

Danon: Obama's Speech Indicates Bigger Pressure on Way
Deputy MInister of Defense Danny Danon tonight (Tuesday) turned to Prime Minister Benyamin Netanyahu following U.S. President Barak Obama's speech at the United Nations General Assembly, saying :"If this is the way the wind is blowing at present from Obama,an enormous amount of pressure wiill be certain to follow." ""I'm sure that the Prime Minister will present Israel's position in the spirit of Jabotinsky's Iron Wall - a powerful combination of determination and stability will ensure the strength of the State of Israel," Danon added.

Obama at UN: 'End Occupation of West Bank'
Obama supports Israel as ‘Jewish state,’ but sympathizes with Arabs over ‘indignity of occupation.’

Obama: Israel security depends on Palestinian state
US president notes Washington seeks diplomatic solutions in Syria, Iran, but is prepared to use all elements, including military force, to secure US interests in Mideast. Stresses will never compromise commitment to Israel

Netanyahu instructs Israeli delegates to walk out during Rouhani's UNGA speech
PM tells negotiators to repeat conduct of previous Israeli envoys, snub Iranian president's address to UNGA; warns despite "charm offensive," Tehran's policy toward Israel remains unchanged;

Lapid: 'Boycotting Rouhani Speech A Mistake'
Criticizing protocol set by the Prime Minister, Finance Minister Yair Lapid says Israel should not appear to be "a serial objector."

Oct 18, 2002
Before the speech there was a persistent rumor that Obama could make short step to meet his Iranian counterpart at least. That would have been the first time high-level meeting since 1979. But the opportunity passed, Reasons I have countered in German news magazine and US channel are the following:

It was "too complicated" to facilitate a meeting between the two on Tuesday. Obama was open to it, but the Iranians were given to understand that the time had not yet come for a meeting at the level of heads of state, said an official of the U.S. administration.

Although CNN said that Rohani rejected to sit down for lunch close to Obama because alcoholic beverages was served. lol

Now, whatever has been said, I have to give credit to Rohani and its clan who tells US when and where to talk as the first time high-level meeting since 1979 :)

Oct 18, 2002
Some Israeli reactions... By the way, they've said they're going to walk out of Rohani's speech:

Danon: Obama's Speech Indicates Bigger Pressure on Way
Deputy MInister of Defense Danny Danon tonight (Tuesday) turned to Prime Minister Benyamin Netanyahu following U.S. President Barak Obama's speech at the United Nations General Assembly, saying :"If this is the way the wind is blowing at present from Obama,an enormous amount of pressure wiill be certain to follow." ""I'm sure that the Prime Minister will present Israel's position in the spirit of Jabotinsky's Iron Wall - a powerful combination of determination and stability will ensure the strength of the State of Israel," Danon added.

Obama at UN: 'End Occupation of West Bank'
Obama supports Israel as ‘Jewish state,’ but sympathizes with Arabs over ‘indignity of occupation.’

Obama: Israel security depends on Palestinian state
US president notes Washington seeks diplomatic solutions in Syria, Iran, but is prepared to use all elements, including military force, to secure US interests in Mideast. Stresses will never compromise commitment to Israel

Netanyahu instructs Israeli delegates to walk out during Rouhani's UNGA speech
PM tells negotiators to repeat conduct of previous Israeli envoys, snub Iranian president's address to UNGA; warns despite "charm offensive," Tehran's policy toward Israel remains unchanged;

Lapid: 'Boycotting Rouhani Speech A Mistake'
Criticizing protocol set by the Prime Minister, Finance Minister Yair Lapid says Israel should not appear to be "a serial objector."
I am so happy that Israelis speech comes later and not before tonights Rohanis speech.
As we all know IRI will walk out, too...

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Before the speech there was a persistent rumor that Obama could make short step to meet his Iranian counterpart at least. That would have been the first time high-level meeting since 1979. But the opportunity passed, Reasons I have countered in German news magazine and US channel are the following:

It was "too complicated" to facilitate a meeting between the two on Tuesday. Obama was open to it, but the Iranians were given to understand that the time had not yet come for a meeting at the level of heads of state, said an official of the U.S. administration.

Although CNN said that Rohani rejected to sit down for lunch close to Obama because alcoholic beverages was served. lol

Now, whatever has been said, I have to give credit to Rohani and its clan who tells US when and where to talk as the first time high-level meeting since 1979 :)
Yeah, it was supposed to be a luncheon meeting, but from what I read Rohani was not invited. I'm sure other than alcohol, running into Bibi would have not gone down too well anywhere! ;)

Apparently Hollande met with Rohani though earlier today... First meeting since Jacques Chirac met with Khatami in 2005.

I am so happy that Israelis speech comes later and not before tonights Rohanis speech.
As we all know IRI will walk out, too...
All these fuckers who walk out are just a bunch of whiney little babies! It was nice to see Israel's Finance minister saying it's not a good idea.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Every great speech giver knows how, where, why and when to use words - particularly when he's giving a speech to people of different tastes, backgrounds and wants. If it led YOU to believe that the US understands Iran's stance and is ready to do a deal with Iran, then his speech achieved its purpose. After all, that's what the Iranian populace was looking for. Having spent most of my life in the West, I have a tendency to look at these things more from a Western perspective - in that sense, I can tell you that there was nothing new in his speech that remotely hinted at a change of policy. So overall, I guess we agree that it was a good speech both for a domestic audience and the overseas audience - although I'm dying to see some Israeli reactions! ;)

In all fairness to him, he did hint at the NSA mishap right at the beginning of his speech actually. The reason it was included at the beginning of the speech is that the administration knew the US is going to receive a grilling from Rousseff (Brazil's president who went up just before Obama) on the issue, since they intercepted her personal calls! So, he said that going forward, the US is going to do its best to balance its security apparatus needs with the rights of its citizens. I was impressed with the semi-acceptance of wrong-doing - not something you'd ever hear from an IR official! ;)

And on the last paragraph, you're right. If Rohani accepts a deal under which the IR is domestically perceived as the loser, then it's a good situation for us and not a good one for Khamenei & Co. I just can't see how that would happen though. It's like Khamenei signing his own death warrant! Like all other dictators in the course of history they'd rather carry on fighting a losing battle than to surrender - even a miserable life for another two years would be better than committing political suicide now. That's how he'd look at it.
One change in BHO's speech today was mentioning "mutual respect" as opposed to carrots & sticks. These were key words to give KH &co something in front of their followers to save face.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
One change in BHO's speech today was mentioning "mutual respect" as opposed to carrots & sticks. These were key words to give KH &co something in front of their followers to save face.
LOL. I don't he had ever mentioned carrots and sticks in so many words, had he?! The phrase "mutual respect" had been used extensively by Rohani, so it was very smart to include it in his speech as well.

We are now on Paraguay. Next is Latvia, Liberia and then Iran. Another 45 minutes or so I'm guessing, although Fischer (Austria's president) was short and sweet and very well dressed - not to mention cute little accent! ;)

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
LOL. I don't he had ever mentioned carrots and sticks in so many words, had he?! The phrase "mutual respect" had been used extensively by Rohani, so it was very smart to include it in his speech as well.

We are now on Paraguay. Next is Latvia, Liberia and then Iran. Another 45 minutes or so I'm guessing, although Fischer (Austria's president) was short and sweet and very well dressed - not to mention cute little accent! ;)
BH jan where are you watching this on? On TV or the net? If you are watching on net please give us a link. Thanks.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Rohani going on right now... Siavash jaan, it's also on YouTube:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/unitednations?feature=share&v=znLLjH8UwlM[/video]