Occupy Wall Street

Coach
Feb 7, 2004
Anti-Wall Street protesters vow to keep up fight

(Reuters) - Anti-Wall Street protesters vowed to keep up their fight on Sunday despite the arrests of more than 700 people the previous day for blocking traffic lanes on the Brooklyn Bridge in an unauthorized protest.

Police issued more than 700 summonses on Saturday to members of the Occupy Wall Street movement who, despite multiple warnings, took part in the march on the Brooklyn-bound lanes which snarled traffic in the area until the bridge was reopened hours later.

Most of the protesters who were arrested were issued summonses and released.

"In an hour or two, we'll be somewhere else protesting," said Patrick Bruner, an English major at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, New York, who has been serving a spokesman for the protesters.

He added that the group had contingency plans in case the park where they have set up a makeshift camp was raided or they were forcibly removed.

The Occupy Wall Street movement, which has garnered the support of celebrities such as filmmaker Michael Moore and actress Susan Sarandon, are protesting against home foreclosures, high unemployment and the 2008 bailouts.

Saturday's march began at 3:30 p.m. from the protesters' camp in Zuccotti Park, which is private land open to the public, in downtown Manhattan near the former World Trade Center.

The fire department said it has been to the camp to check for fire safety issues. Members of the anti-Wall Street group have vowed to stay at the camp through the winter.

"Our concern is cooking, the use of propane tanks and garbage piling up. All we're concerned about is that everybody is safe," said Frank Dwyer, a spokesman for the Fire Department of New York.

The park property is maintained by Brookfield Properties, a publicly traded corporation. In a statement issued last week the company said it was extremely concerned about the conditions that have been created in the park and was working with city officials to restore the park to its intended purpose.

During Saturday's protest on the bridge, police used orange mesh nets to surround the marchers in what witnesses described as chaotic scenes with protesters being handcuffed and taken off the bridge.

Warnings were given by the police to the protesters to stay on the pedestrian walkway.

"Some complied and took the walkway without being arrested. Others locked arms and proceeded on the Brooklyn-bound vehicular roadway and were arrested," a police spokesman said.

The arrests followed a peaceful march to police headquarters on Friday by more than 1,000 people to protest the arrest of 80 members of the Occupy Wall Street movement the previous week in the Union Square shopping district.

During that march a few women were doused with pepper spray which was captured on video and viewed widely on the Internet.

The group has garnered support from some union members including the United Federation of Teachers and the Transport Workers Union Local 100.

[video=youtube;KrFQs5X-I1Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrFQs5X-I1Y&feature[/video]

[video=youtube;a1tCYAEDl6g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1tCYAEDl6g[/video]

Last edited:

Coach
Feb 7, 2004
[video=youtube;s4QUePfHFQY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4QUePfHFQY&feature[/video]

Natural

IPL Player
May 18, 2003
finally an equivalent 'tea party' on the left. except these people are fighting for their own interests and not fighting for tax cuts for the big cats (like the tea party).

I've been following it very closely for the past 2 weeks. let's see if it amounts to anything.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
This is attacknig the heart of the system and i tell you once these protesters go too far, the system wont have the slightest merci on them. Strongest lobbies of the word who control whole governments and armies are making unearned money in milliards. Inna nakhaahand gozaasht ke in mellat tof konan too aasheshoon.

Coach
Feb 7, 2004
This is attacknig the heart of the system and i tell you once these protesters go too far, the system wont have the slightest merci on them. Strongest lobbies of the word who control whole governments and armies are making unearned money in milliards. Inna nakhaahand gozaasht ke in mellat tof konan too aasheshoon.
Exactly China jan. They are already at work to suppress the news (for example what Yahoo did). I don't know if you have watched the clip in the 2nd post of the thread or not but that clip is actually more revealing IMO

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD
I know someone from my previous school who is attending these protests. It all started by Facebook and it's gaining momentum. It's good to see college students and young people in America protest against the crimes of Wall Street but I'm expecting media outlets like FOX news bash these kids and then you have outlets like PRESS TV who will cover this for their own sick agenda.

Feb 22, 2005
This is all expected and more and more of it will happen. College graduates cant get jobs and it keeps getting worst. Student studying and paying high costs are seeing no opportunities for their future.

The US government run by Goldman Sachs has only one plan. Tax cuts for the rich. Goldman Sachs and all the well to do wealthy people know the country is in trouble financially and going down, and they have been trying for years to take as much of the piece of pie as they can take.

Obama has no real power here. If he did, he would not put the Goldman Sachs people who created the problems with the economy during last decade in charge.

Right now, it is each man for themselves and taking as much money as they can grab before the entire thing falls down, in what is predicted end of next year.

Feb 22, 2005
In Goldman Sachs, there is a lot of concerns and there are rumors that there is a group of them who strongly believe this or next year US's financial might fall badly with a big percentage moving into poverty. No jobs, etc.. The movement we seeing today is hopefully started by the people and not the corp rich and wealthy who are hoping through creating it and leading it secretly behind the scene they can contain the situation that will arise as the result.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2004
finally an equivalent 'tea party' on the left. except these people are fighting for their own interests and not fighting for tax cuts for the big cats (like the tea party).

I've been following it very closely for the past 2 weeks. let's see if it amounts to anything.
I wouldn't bet on it. In fact it is an excellent bet that this protest if not already will very soon loose its actual mission and become some zealous religious mission for someone else's interests that will actually hurt the interests of those protesting. Just ask the people protesting "exactly what is wrong and why?" and you will find out that very few have a clue, except for knowing something somewhere is wrong, then going on some incoherent, contradictory rambling of all the things that they are unhappy about in life.

In a democratic society very little is done by force. Instead, all you need is an alliance between clueless do-gooders, and intelligent interest groups who will take advantage of the ignorance of the do-gooders.

Knowing and submitting to reality is very difficult work because it requires out-most self denial, discipline, and persistence. Few believe in it strong enough to be willing to do such work.

Coach
Feb 7, 2004
Activists to occupy Toronto's financial district, follow Wall Street protests

By The Canadian Press

TORONTO - Activists are planning an occupation of Toronto's financial district, following in the footsteps of protesters currently camped out on Wall Street.

A group calling itself Occupy Toronto Market Exchange has launched a website to organize a march on Bay Street beginning Oct. 15.

That's a Saturday, when the stock exchange is closed and few people are working in Canada's financial capital.

About 830 people on Facebook have replied they would attend the event in Toronto.

Occupations are also planned in the streets in other Canadian cities, including Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary.

South of the border, protesters speaking out against corporate greed and other grievances remain in Manhattan's financial district.

They are holding their ground even after more than 700 of them were arrested during a march on the Brooklyn Bridge in a tense confrontation with police.

The group Occupy Wall Street has been camped out in a plaza for nearly two weeks staging various marches, and had orchestrated an impromptu trek to Brooklyn on Saturday afternoon.

Protesters are speaking out against corporate greed, government bailouts, and income inequality amid high unemployment and the prospect of another recession.

In Canada, where banks were not bailed out by government and the financial system is more regulated, the economy is relatively healthier than in the U.S.

But Canada's economic growth has been slowing down leading some to believe this country could also be headed for recession.

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Exactly as I personally had predicted right on this board many months ago, the middle class is now a shrinking headless chicken resorting to aimless street presence.

The first thing corporate media will do is to ignore them. Then they will try to cause division and internal conflict. Then they will move on to employ the most useful faction of the protests as lobbying tools.

It's way too late for the middle classes of the world to do anything about their own demise. Only a deadly world-war or a catastrophic event will help them bring an end to the reign of the current elite who seem to become more and more united across the globe everyday.

Coach
Feb 7, 2004
[video=youtube;2dpoJaReVHg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dpoJaReVHg[/video]

[video=youtube;g4x0xaGN6bA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4x0xaGN6bA[/video]

[video=youtube;gp0Or4KiGk8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp0Or4KiGk8[/video]

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
yeah that was the best news ever since post-2008 recession.

Good for them in trying to take control of their destiny(although its far realistic to hope that way). Wall Street has failed them, Congress and Senate has failed them, U.S govt has failed them to stand up for their concerns,so why not voice their discontent in mass protests?

U.S media may want to ignore the news as much as possible, but the news is already broadcasted and discussed in International news media. and thanks to social media, this grass-roots movement can involve more and more masses of ppl,specially if they are confronted by censorship and police..it'll only fuel it further.

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
Lol at the new generation of Iranian Revolution supporters.......America needs you - please fix their system!! After all your parents proved how great they are in fixing unjust systems and doing away with dictators.

Natural - you top the cake in foolishness.....I must admit - I was truely disapointed encountering your amazing ignorance.
So you think this is a much needed opposite movement to the Tea Party!! lol for years you put down the Tea party as some sort of irrelevant gathering of Jesus Freaks and mobile home rednecks....now you are proud to see the anti-tea party movement.....a movement you know nothing about!!
Let's say you are right and these people are the opposite of the Tea Party....so let's see......They must be Anti Constitution, pushing for Big Government....!!! lool
No my dear clueless fellow.....this is just another group of Kaseh Lis - who want CHANGE and the Dollar Bills....easiest way to fool a crowd. These are the useful idiots who pave the way for a new group of power hungry abusers.....
But I do have some bad news for you - the Core in America is pretty strong. Just like most other places - the core of the American population - especially outside major cities are decent people who will not compromise morality - and more importantly unlike anywhere else, these people will not become bystanders.

BTW - some of you may recall......I wrote here 2 years ago, America did need a revision in it's attitude and it's system did need reform, especially in abuse of natural resources and the environment. That is what is taking place - a transformation, especially in the economical set-ups. As corrupt as some of the entities such as Wall Street may be - this transformation is far far more important than a country dealing with a Bookie Joint which is set-up to drain money out of America!!

Please try to land on the right side of this transformation.....

Natural

IPL Player
May 18, 2003
There's a key difference between the Occupy Wall Street movement and the Tea Party movement. The Tea Partiers' anger is directed squarely at the U.S. government. It began due to dismay at the bailouts and the massive Obama stimulus package. The Tea Party wanted less government interference in the economy. but later on their movement was stolen by idiots like Sarah Palin who took advantage of their original message which founded by Ron Paul. they became a tool in the hands of big corporations to demand lower taxes, something that would go against their own interests. they want more business oriented government, and less government for the people. its ironic because most tea partiers I have met are just low income average joe. they've been duped into beliving that if the rich gets more money that it somehow gets triggered down to everyone else. the rich 1% in America have had a very prosperous decade having bush tax cuts in place. if the triggered down economy was a noble and good idea, then we wouldve seen a better situation by now.

But the Occupy Wall Street movement's anger is directed at wall street corruption, and their huge influence in Washington. wall St has been occupied by those who are rightfully enraged by carelessness, irresponsibility and shortsightedness of America's financial institutions. their primary goal is to have wall street influence out of government.

1% of the population in America control 42% of the financial wealth. that is immoral and just plain wrong.

I would imagine the end game of any movement against Wall Street corruption is going to involve some very elaborate organization. There are going to have to be consumer and investor boycotts, shareholder revolts, criminal prosecutions, new laws passed, and other moves. But a good first step is making people aware of the battle lines. It sounds like these demonstrations have that potential.

Now dont worry Massoud, this movement is only getting bigger now. 2 big unions have signed to support them, similar protests have started in other major cities. you just sit back take a deep breath and enjoy the ride ;)

Last edited:

Pahlevoon Nayeb

National Team Player
Oct 17, 2002
Poshteh Kooh
Thank god, we have Masoud, who doesn’t’ often do facts, to tell us all about “morality,” and the right and wrong side of “history;” never mind that the morality he supports still belongs to a bunch of redneck, racist, bible thumping, hillbillies who would take away your right to be free in a New York-minute if they could.

Are you still itching for US to bomb Iran, Masoud? Will you be joining your brother in arms, Gomashteh Acharpayan in that “moral crusade” anytime soon? :)

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
Oh yes...
Go Go - take the wealth from the 1% and give it to Van Jones he shall spread it fairly!!! ....

So let me see - you are a 25 year old Iranian living in Canada - pressing for a revolution in United States!!! because.....?!!!!
I hope Agha Shoja and others file these comments......I know Natural for one really digs the entertainment values.

Are you still itching for US to bomb Iran, Masoud?
No dear PN I never want decent Iranians bombed....but when it comes to the likes of you.....I wish I would be strong enough to forgive. Your cheap and backward tactic only tells me you have nothing else to say...

Last edited: