(OLD THRED FROM 2014) - CL Semi-Finals [R]

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Ancelotti is a great coach -- he has won title in Italy (Milan), England(Chelsea), France(Paris Saint-Germain) and also spain coppa del rey this year.
Not very successful in CL but I think he has been unlucky many times.
Won it 4 times. 2 as player (European Cup) and 2 as manager (Champions League). all with Milan. not too shabby at all. and he's a real good guy.

[video=youtube;kEuppGe7xwY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEuppGe7xwY[/video]

Last edited:

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
That was one heck of a save by Iker on Gotze's close range hard shot.

[video=youtube;ChsBJkBPqZA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChsBJkBPqZA[/video]

Last edited:

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
2 great passes by Ronaldo & Coentrao for Benzema's goal.

[video=youtube;5m-dJnxs36I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m-dJnxs36I[/video]

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
2 great passes by Ronaldo & Coentrao for Benzema's goal.

[video=youtube;5m-dJnxs36I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m-dJnxs36I[/video]
You are right it was the great passing which set Benzema up with that goal and kudos to Benzema for not trying to show off. He just tapped it in guess what if you blast it or you tap it in it still counts as one goal. So many players like to show off and blast it or make the goal look spectacular I remember back in 2002 WCQ we were playing Bahrain home and this happened three to four times during that game because they wanted to make it an ESPN top 10 highlight and we ended up tying I believe. That is what bit us at the end the rest is history. Really though it was the Portuguese connection which set up KB for the goal but also I must admit Benzema still has it he is getting up there in age but dude can still play at a high level.

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
A tasty one tonight as Real Madrid takes a 1-0 first leg lead to Allianz Arena.

Bayern Munich vs Real Madrid
Champions League semi-final , 2nd leg
Tuesday 29 April 2014
KO : 18:45 GMT

BBC match preview

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27193338

Holders Bayern Munich will recall skipper Philipp Lahm and winger Arjen Robben for their Champions League semi-final second leg against Real Madrid.

The German champions, who trail 1-0, named the pair as substitutes in Saturday's 5-2 win over Werder Bremen.

Madrid will welcome back Wales forward Gareth Bale after illness.

Ballon d'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo will start after a recent hamstring problem, while Karim Benzema (knee) and Pepe (hamstring) should return.

France striker Benzema, who scored the only goal of the first leg, and Portugal defender Pepe were both left on the bench during Saturday's 4-0 La Liga win against Osasuna.

Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti says the mental strength of his players, and not his tactical approach, is the key to defeating the holders at the Allianz Arena.

"At this stage in the competition the psychological aspect is more important than tactics," said the Italian.

"We have to be strong mentally in order to do our best to reach the final."

Bayern coach Pep Guardiola has backed France forward Franck Ribery to inspire a comeback from the five-time European champions, who are aiming to become the first side to retain the Champions League.

Ribery, who was named as the world's third best player behind Ronaldo and Lionel Messi in January, was criticised for his performance in Spain last week.

But he shone against Bremen and Guardiola is expecting him to play another starring role on Tuesday.

"Franck played like he was possessed at the weekend," said Guardiola. "He fights and fights and for this reason the people love him here at the Allianz Arena.

"He is one of the best players in the history of Bayern Munich and we need his help."

The winner of Bayern and Real will play either Chelsea or Atletico Madrid, who meet again on Wednesday, in the final on 24 May in Portugal's capital city Lisbon.

Meanwhile, European governing body Uefa has announced a minute's silence will be observed ahead of the ties in tribute to ex-Barca coach Tito Vilanova and former Real Madrid and Sampdoria boss Vujadin Boskov.

Vilanova died aged 45 on Friday after a long battle with cancer, while Serb Boskov, who led Madrid to a La Liga and Copa del Rey double in 1980, was 82 when he died on Sunday.

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
A bit of a good news for Chelsea and Jose Mourinho as Petr Cech, Eden Hazard and Samuel Eto'o all took part in a training session today ahead of tomorrow night's match against Atletico Madrid at Stamford Bridge.

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Bayern Munich vs Real Madrid will kick off in about 25 minutes.

It's another great European night for me. off to watch the game on large screen with plenty of booze and boiled eggs. :)

Lineups:

Bayern Munich

01 Neuer
21 Lahm
27 Alaba
31 Schweinsteiger
17 Boateng
04 Dante
10 Robben
39 Kroos
09 Mandzukic
25 Müller
07 Ribéry

Substitutes

05 van Buyten
08 Javi Martínez
13 Rafinha
14 Pizarro
19 Götze
32 Raeder
34 Höjbjerg

Real Madrid

01 Casillas
15 Carvajal
05 Fábio Coentrão
19 Modric
04 Ramos
03 Pepe
22 Di María
14 Alonso
07 Ronaldo
09 Benzema
11 Bale

Substitutes

02 Varane
12 Marcelo
16 Casemiro
21 Morata
23 Isco
24 Illarramendi
25 López

Last edited:

Ali(ISP)

Tottenham till I die
Oct 16, 2002
Southampton, UK
A bit of a good news for Chelsea and Jose Mourinho as Petr Cech, Eden Hazard and Samuel Eto'o all took part in a training session today ahead of tomorrow night's match against Atletico Madrid at Stamford Bridge.
i hear even the president of 'lets kick racism out', the big JT trained today. that female doctor of chelsea must have magic fingers ;)

Shahram

Elite Member
Oct 21, 2002
This is from the Guardian: "The atmosphere at the Munich stadium is such that ITV pundit Roy Keane feels the need to shout his answers to Adrian Chiles' questions. Come to think of it, maybe it's just Adrian Chiles'\ questions that makes him feel like roaring. "Apparently American actor Timothy Hutton, star of films like Ordinary People and The Ghost Writer, was at the Bernabéu last Wednesday for the first leg of the Real Madrid v Bayern Munich match," claims Kevin Thomson. " After the game, he went down to the Bayern Munich dressing room to have a quick chat with the players. As he left, Hutton picked up the wrong jacket. He was walking around for a good 10 minutes wearing the jacket of one of the Bayern Munich players before he realised his mistake. This was a case of Hutton dressed as Lahm."