Original of the word "Estekaan"!

Oct 18, 2002
here
www.apfn.org
back in the 1900's the english (who invaded) the arab countries used to drink their damn tea (zahre maareshoon besheh) in these little containers called East (oor eastern) Tea Can
the east-tea-can later became Estekaan in Iran!

I thought that was interesting bcs I used to think estekan was persian word to begin with.
when I was little i used to pray like this:
khoda ya to aani ke taani jahaani be aani tapaani tahe estekaani
خدایا تو آنی که تانی جهانی به آنی تپانی ته استکانی

payan

Captain
Dec 12, 2002
usa
so what is root for estcandarian come from.
btw i think the word aroos came from greek word eros ( god of love )

payan

Captain
Dec 12, 2002
usa
ok now we know what estecan came from ,and samavar is russians , then what is your finding about nal-be-kee .

Oct 18, 2002
Antelope Valley,California
It turns out that I was right.

According to great shamlou, and in his master collections of Ketab Koche, harf alef, daftar dovom, item #1969 ( entesharaat Maziar) :

فارسی شده ستکان روسی است که در تدول عام استکن و اسکن نیز تلفظ میشود، و آن ظرف شیشهٔ کوچکی است خاص چای نوشیدن

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2002
Under Item 1969 ,( باور***های توده، آئین ها) , items listed ,hard to type all of them in farsi, I just list the first two:

وارونه کردن استکان در نعلبکی، فحش به قهوه چی*** است.

وارونه کردن استکان مشروب، این معنی را میدهد که همپیاله مفعول است

Under Tabirat Masdari :

Estekaani zadan, Do at Estekaan Zadan

Under Takibat digar:

Estekan parisi ( kamar barik),Estekan Shasti (same as parisi),Estekan nalbeki, Tah estekaani ( eynak)

Oct 18, 2002
Payan, according to farhang moiin :

Some believe the origin be russian, but that seems doubtful, since in 9th century book of javahernameh ( mohammad bin mansour) , the same concept is defined under nalak.Later Y (nesbat) was added.

Moin can not find a reason for "b" in nal-baki. Borhan Ghate also list naalaki under moshtaghat Nallak.

According to Moin, Nalbaki is "moarab=Arabized" of naalaki.