Oxford won boat race

soroushk

Bench Warmer
Oct 5, 2004
New York
Most of the rowers are American. Oxbridge is as stupid as Harvard, Yale, Stanford etc. These universities produce world leaders, breakthroughs in technology, medicine etc and they maintain their traditions.

Alborz is the nearest thing that we have in Iran. The old polytechnic had some tradition and class as well. We have to learn to keep our history not trash it every 20 years.

Anyway if you are ever in London on boat race day go to one of the pubs by the river (Hammersmith or Putney), get drunk and catch a bit of the race. It's good fun in a peculiar aristocratic British way.

anoush

Bench Warmer
Aug 14, 2004
I understand that they produce doctors, lawyers and engineers (or to Iranian parents commonly known as the DLE), but it's stuck up, fine be an engineer, doctor or lawyer, heck im probably going to end up studying one of these, but I don't want these toffee nosed old boys club pricks telling me to how to do things. I know someone who goes to Cambridge who has been threatened for walking on the grass.

soroushk

Bench Warmer
Oct 5, 2004
New York
Anoush jon, it's not as bad as you might think. I can't speak about Oxford, but Cambridge is not a snotty place. They are very much aware of the external perception, and they make a big effort to be inclusive whilst maintaining their traditions.

The walking on the grass thing is for the tourists - nobody would get arrested.