R.I.P ostad Farhad Varasteh founder of karate in Iran

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
I do not know enough to pass on opinion about his skills. But I know that Bruce Lee had a lot to do with the popularity of martial arts in Iran.

I remember having gone to a few of his movies in the 70s Tehran. Every time we walked out of the movie theater, you could see boys, from 5 to 50, coming out of the theater ooohing and aaahing like Bruce Lee, and throwing a few kicks in the air. Many of them, begged and cajoled their parents into sending them to Kung Fu and Karate classes afterwards.

We had a neighbor who actually looked a bit oriental, and he took the movies way too seriously. He would walk around carrying nun-chucks under his shirt, and giving everyone Bruce Lee looks. He was pretty soon called Bahram Lee, and he actually liked it.

Looking back at it, it was pretty funny.
exactly as you say ,most of the guys coming out of cinema javgir mishodand ! Bruce Lee had a huge impact on popularity of martial arts , do you remember the film "Sammad dar raaheh Ejdehaa ! " ?

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
I had to make another post because that one was getting long. Judo and Jiu Jitsu comes from Japan as well. When Mr. Gracie went to Japan about 150 years ago, he learned it, went back to Brazil and taught it to his friends. The jiu jitsu in Brazil became different though it was more made for sport. Back in the day in Japan, Jiu Jitsu was death combat. Don't forget you didn't have 2 inch padded mats, you rolled around outside.

The reason why I mix Judo Jiu Jitsu, boxing and Mauy Thay is because it works. My philosiphy and MT philosophy is the best defense is an elite offense. What I like about jiu jitsu is I can beat guys who are 50 pounds bigger than me because in Jiu JItsu all I need to do is wrap my legs around you and squeeze the life out of you, and I do have thunder thighes from playing football and all of that martial arts. Your punching power gets reduced by 50%, even if you have the advantage position and you are on top of me.

When you know Judo Jiu JItsu and Mauy Thay Boxing you can have multiple strategies. You can start the fight by striking using boxing and mauy thay, then take the fight to the ground. Then it's just a matter of out cardio your opponent and I swim for 45 minutes a day(i used to run in the Navy but running messes up your joints). I got injured and couldn't do MMA for 9 months because of it so now I swim.

What I tell my friends is martial arts is more than just taking the classes. You need to PUT IN WORK OUTSIDE OF THE DOJO, you need to hit the weights, watch what you eat and do cardio. Like for example, I only practice about 5-6 hours of Martial Arts a week 2 hrs of MT, 2 hrs of boxing and 2 hrs of jiu jitsu/judo. I do weight lifting or swimming for 10-12 hours a week so double. I might not have the body that I want but it really helped me lose weight. I was a size 38 now I wear a size 32 with a belt. inches you guys use the metric system.

There is no right or wrong style sometimes when I feel like it, you can use a very defensive style and box or mauy thay your opponent through counter punches and kicks. Of course I don't throw punches in mauy thay you learn that elbows cause much more damage than punches so I got used to throwing elbows. I sometimes get a WTF when I box with my friends and I go for a clinch and throw an elbow. Then my friends say something funny like, "Hey genius this is boxing not mauy thay" but you know in MUSCLE MEMORY if you do something enough it becomes habit so sometimes I can't help but to throw an elbow and go in a clinch. It is hard to take off your MT hat and put on your boxing hat. lol.
That goes with every skill you need to develop , no short cuts . you did the same when you learned the piano ,did you not ?
Brazil and Japan have some kind of cultural integration , too many people of japanese origin are in Brazil .

You know Lyoto Machida ? well his dad is japanese and high ranking shotokan master ,Machida himself is of shotokan school learned from his dad ,if you watch him fight in UFC you can see the elements of shotokan in his fight .....disappointingly he lost a fight by knockout a couple of weeks ago against a very good fighter .

Dec 30, 2014
exactly as you say ,most of the guys coming out of cinema javgir mishodand ! Bruce Lee had a huge impact on popularity of martial arts , do you remember the film "Sammad dar raaheh Ejdehaa ! " ?
Yes, I remember that movie very well. I was just thinking of it when you guys started this thread. Any idea where I can download or get a copy?

Not to change topics, but I think Parviz Sayyad was one of the geniuses of social satire. My favorite of course is Hasan Kachal. I watched it as a kid and fell asleep. But I watched it again in my 30s and thought it was one of the funniest, most clever movies made. Of course his whole Samad series are also pretty funny, as well as his other work. He also did a movie in US shortly after the revolution. I do not remember the name, but it had an intro by Orson Wells I think. It was about a military man who had escaped Iran and an assassin that was sent to kill him. Although fairly low budget, I though it was very well made. Sayyad was the ex-officer and I believe he also directed it. I may be remembering wrong though.

By the way, I met him in a very small social gathering at someone's house about 20 years ago. He is very witty in person as well.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
That goes with every skill you need to develop , no short cuts . you did the same when you learned the piano ,did you not ?
Brazil and Japan have some kind of cultural integration , too many people of japanese origin are in Brazil .

You know Lyoto Machida ? well his dad is japanese and high ranking shotokan master ,Machida himself is of shotokan school learned from his dad ,if you watch him fight in UFC you can see the elements of shotokan in his fight .....disappointingly he lost a fight by knockout a couple of weeks ago against a very good fighter .
I know who he is Loyoto Machida funny you mentioned him, I just watched one of his fights the other day of course he is a bit older now but in his prime, he more than held his own. Oh and yes you are right my man there are no short cuts I didn't take it in piano and i don't take it in mauy thay boxing jiu jitsu or judo. If you want to MASTER you need to study like 10 -15 years so I get that. Of course we are talking the level of mastery and that I guess is just my mentality in anything. If I am going to do something, I'm going to put 100% passion into it and leave it all out in the ring or octagon. I don't want to look back 10-15 years later and say, "I wish I would have trained harder," or "I wish I would have done this...or that." No regrets no retreat and no surrender.

Arash good call my man.
@ Gaines I wish I knew who you were referring to but this is probably way before my time.

Oh does anyone know the actors Ejra Neshina, my favorite two guys and my favorite Irooni film. One was a karate dude and in one scene, he gets blown up lol. I also loved the Opera dude and the other guy that was funny was the dad, who constantly punked his son.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Yes, I remember that movie very well. I was just thinking of it when you guys started this thread. Any idea where I can download or get a copy?

Not to change topics, but I think Parviz Sayyad was one of the geniuses of social satire. My favorite of course is Hasan Kachal. I watched it as a kid and fell asleep. But I watched it again in my 30s and thought it was one of the funniest, most clever movies made. Of course his whole Samad series are also pretty funny, as well as his other work. He also did a movie in US shortly after the revolution. I do not remember the name, but it had an intro by Orson Wells I think. It was about a military man who had escaped Iran and an assassin that was sent to kill him. Although fairly low budget, I though it was very well made. Sayyad was the ex-officer and I believe he also directed it. I may be remembering wrong though.

By the way, I met him in a very small social gathering at someone's house about 20 years ago. He is very witty in person as well.
you are spot on about Sayyad, he is a genius indeed ,his swan lake with Marry Apeek was another brilliant piece ,must be on youtube somewhere , I had the exact feeling about Hassan Kachal .
The film you are referring to is called Ferestaadeh and the storyline is just like you said .

Maybe try GLWIZ for the Sammad movie ...

Here ...I found the swanlake !

https://youtu.be/o-2yeeqzXOI

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Sammad dar raaheh Ejdehaa ........for Shervin : Sammad in enter the dragon !

https://youtu.be/MMnYs3Oz7PE
Lol I heard about this movie, I got to watch this one. If anyone can find me the clip though of the fat Karate dude blowing up in Ejra Neshina, that would make my day. He picks up the phone, the chagokesh guys statter then seconds later the poor guy blows up hahaha only in Iran. That movie is like over an hr so later on tonight I got to watch it. I tried searching on you tube I tried typing Ejra Neshina or funny Iranian movies Ejra Neshina and I couldn't find the scene. That part of the movie cracks me up every time.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Thanks Oghab jan. Now all I need to do is find an evening alone and a few beers to enjoy this.

By the way, i have seen the Swan Lake and the rest of the kaaf show. The other segment that is absolutely brilliant is the "Othello" piece. It is probably somewhere on Youtube as well.
you are most welcome ,enjoy it ....and the beer .

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
[video=youtube;uyk_63CJaLA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyk_63CJaLA[/video]

Oh my God I am so happy I found this gem. The full length movie of Ejra Neshina haha man I'm going to watch this tonight and just laugh I love it when the karate dude gets blown up, one of my favorite scenes.

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
[video=youtube;uyk_63CJaLA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyk_63CJaLA[/video]

Oh my God I am so happy I found this gem. The full length movie of Ejra Neshina haha man I'm going to watch this tonight and just laugh I love it when the karate dude gets blown up, one of my favorite scenes.
Saludos hombre, muy miles gracias! :pray:

Man you made my day, I think you are talking about min. 20:43.
That thick-block reminds me of one of my cousins from father side!
Hilarious, pure innate acting fatos!:cheers:

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyk_63CJaLA
Amazing, look what I found.
This is fantastic, I just ignored it at the first place, but it came to my mind gradually.......just listen to the intro music of the movie.
It's a cover on "Ombra mai fu" the opening aria from the "Serse (Xerxes the great persian King)" year 1738 by George Frideric Handel.

[video=youtube;M_m6mnMIofc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_m6mnMIofc[/video]

Last edited: