R.I.P ostad Farhad Varasteh founder of karate in Iran

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
I heard of a sad news today that Dr. Farhad Varasteh father and founder of karate in Iran has passed away . when I was a kid we heard so many stories of him being so tough .

Today Iran is one the strongest counties in the world of karate ,thanks to this man who started it all nearly 50 years ago and help train some of the first black belts in Iran , many of them like Houshang Etehad and Farokh Moshfegh were world class .

He lived in Canada and his children are carrying his legacy in karate . Rest in peace and God bless you .

Attachments

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
picture of sensei Farokh Moshfegh Iran captain with Ostad varasteh Iran coach at the time from European karate championships held in Tehran in 1973 0r 74 and the other picture from 1977 world championships in japan where Iran finished 3rd .

I trained with sensei Farokh Moshfegh in his club in Tehran for a year , he was and is top class ,as good as it gets in karate . he is the one standing next to varasteh with a beard .

Attachments

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
^^Iran also has one of the strongest Judo teams, we study Iran for jiu jitsu btw at my mauy thay academy(you can do most arts) so our fingerprints are all over the Martial Arts community. RIP Ostad Farhad Varasteh I wish I was 1/10th as good as you. I only remember a little bit of Karate when I was a kid and there are a bunch of karate styles but here is the fundamental for all martial arts. Work on your balance, breathing and footwork. Karate though is all about defense and counter attacks, it teaches you how to dodge punches, kicks etc and you now have an opening for a hard strike. I know Iran has a RICH history of Karate and would kick but in Karate, Takwando, Judo etc it's because of OG's like this cat.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
^^Iran also has one of the strongest Judo teams, we study Iran for jiu jitsu btw at my mauy thay academy(you can do most arts) so our fingerprints are all over the Martial Arts community. RIP Ostad Farhad Varasteh I wish I was 1/10th as good as you. I only remember a little bit of Karate when I was a kid and there are a bunch of karate styles but here is the fundamental for all martial arts. Work on your balance, breathing and footwork. Karate though is all about defense and counter attacks, it teaches you how to dodge punches, kicks etc and you now have an opening for a hard strike. I know Iran has a RICH history of Karate and would kick but in Karate, Takwando, Judo etc it's because of OG's like this cat.
I can see you are a keen martial artist, ostad Farokh Moshfegh lives in California, so does Morteza Alborzi.

I recommend you look them up and train with them if you can, you will not regret it.

For some reason we are not as good in Judo as we are in Karate or Takwando.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I can see you are a keen martial artist, ostad Farokh Moshfegh lives in California, so does Morteza Alborzi.

I recommend you look them up and train with them if you can, you will not regret it.

For some reason we are not as good in Judo as we are in Karate or Takwando.
Well, we are not as good at Judo but we are getting there according to this, in 2013, we placed 3rd in a Judo tourney in Asia. You know Japan has the strongest. team.
http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/03/17/294075/iran-ranks-2nd-in-asia-kata-championships/. We are much stronger in Takwando and I know in Karate, we have like a 50 year history with it. I would love to train up with Ostat Farokh Moshfegeh or Morteza Alborzi but here is the problem. I haven't done Karate in YEARS. Right now I train at one of the best Muay Thay academies in the country Sityodtong and the reason why I go there is because
1-They give a 50% military discount so it only costs me $100 a month to train unlimited in Mauy Thay, Boxing, Jiu Jitsu and Judo.
2- It is in Pasadena and it is a top 10 academy in the world they have Sityodtongs in Phuket Thailand(visited there and checked it out). Also, I get to rub shoulders and train with former and current guys who are in or aspiring to be in the UFC. I don't know if you are familiar with Matt Hughes. I got to meet him once. He schocked the world when he upset one of the best grapplers in the UFC, Quebec's George St. Pierre.

Oh and I wouldn't call myself a black belt I am not anything crazy like that. I am working on getting my purple belt in Jiu Jitsu and we have to go over a lot of Judo. Mauy Thay and Boxing are new sports for me, I've only been taking them for a year. What I like about Sidyodtong is it's authentic Mauy Thay. Dam I wish they taught any of those four and I could have gone. I would still probably want to just LOOK THEM UP TO MEET THEM AND TALK TO THEM ABOUT MARTIAL ARTS or I like to call it MARTIAL SCIENCE. See I come from an engineering background, at least in school and to me Martial Science is just hat a science with pressure points, locks, throws, knees elbows everything it's like you are playing the ultimate chess game. That is what I like about it then you have the artistic element. I would like to get their thoughts on that.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Well, we are not as good at Judo but we are getting there according to this, in 2013, we placed 3rd in a Judo tourney in Asia. You know Japan has the strongest. team.
http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/03/17/294075/iran-ranks-2nd-in-asia-kata-championships/. We are much stronger in Takwando and I know in Karate, we have like a 50 year history with it. I would love to train up with Ostat Farokh Moshfegeh or Morteza Alborzi but here is the problem. I haven't done Karate in YEARS. Right now I train at one of the best Muay Thay academies in the country Sityodtong and the reason why I go there is because
1-They give a 50% military discount so it only costs me $100 a month to train unlimited in Mauy Thay, Boxing, Jiu Jitsu and Judo.
2- It is in Pasadena and it is a top 10 academy in the world they have Sityodtongs in Phuket Thailand(visited there and checked it out). Also, I get to rub shoulders and train with former and current guys who are in or aspiring to be in the UFC. I don't know if you are familiar with Matt Hughes. I got to meet him once. He schocked the world when he upset one of the best grapplers in the UFC, Quebec's George St. Pierre.

Oh and I wouldn't call myself a black belt I am not anything crazy like that. I am working on getting my purple belt in Jiu Jitsu and we have to go over a lot of Judo. Mauy Thay and Boxing are new sports for me, I've only been taking them for a year. What I like about Sidyodtong is it's authentic Mauy Thay. Dam I wish they taught any of those four and I could have gone. I would still probably want to just LOOK THEM UP TO MEET THEM AND TALK TO THEM ABOUT MARTIAL ARTS or I like to call it MARTIAL SCIENCE. See I come from an engineering background, at least in school and to me Martial Science is just hat a science with pressure points, locks, throws, knees elbows everything it's like you are playing the ultimate chess game. That is what I like about it then you have the artistic element. I would like to get their thoughts on that.
I am glad you are enjoying your training .

someone asked me what is the best style of martial arts ? and I said it is not the style ,it is all about who is teaching it and how good he is .

if you are happy with what you are doing then fine ,carry on doing that but if you ever get the chance to meet and see Sensei Farokh Moshfegh then do so ,you will be impressed by his ability ,knowledge and wisdom .

there is no problem with you not having done karate at all or have done a bit a long time ago ,skill is something you need to develop in any art ,be it learning to play the piano or guitar or to play golf or learning to kick butts !

do you remember how hard it was to learn the piano ? I am still struggling with my guitar ,but a journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step ,,,,,,patience ,endurance and perseverance will finally get you towards the goal .

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Sorry for the late reply. I can tell you are the dedicated type and you should reach your goal. I have a few goals myself. I want to get my black belt and not just a black belt but a hig degree. I think Jiu JItsu goes up to 6th degree if I am not mistaken I know Judo is 7(Same family) All jiu jitsu tourneys start standing so you use judo.

I actually wouldn't mind speaking to both of them, if I could get a hold of them. Maybe I could learn the basic movements of karate. I know the steps still as a kid and there is a difference between thay style mauy thay and Karate. In Mauy Thay, you kick with your shin and it hurt. You don't through punches in MT either, in the authentic version, it's elbows, clinches and knees. Plus in MT vs Karate the proximity is different you are further back in Karate in MT you are up close and personal. I would love to pick their brains I hope could somehow get a hold of them maybe I could see what I find, maybe my dad or one of my dads friends knows them.

I would love to learn from their wisdom and you are right no style is the best style this is what Master Lee said about style. He was the original mixed martial artist you could say that.
[video=youtube;0OCCAVjUczs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OCCAVjUczs[/video]
Badass watch this. He is awesome and right on.
You put water in a cup it becomes the cup water can flow, it can crash be water my friend. The word Style is an ILLUSION. To sum up the message don't limit yourself to one style be well rounded I like to master one or two, then go to the next and work on the ones know. There is no right or wrong answer but don't be closed minded and stick to one style. I'm sure those ostads would agree with us and Mr. Lee.
It would be cool if they could do some demonstrations for me. I have some really nice mauy thay pads that are custom made and nice.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
O.E jan who was the martial arts guy who became a candidate in the 1st Presidential election in Iran in 1358?

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
^^lol dude got shot in the leg dam I thought US politics was rough. Well Kennedy got shot. I didn't even know we had a martial art politican guy who got shot only in Iran. I hope he was able to continue his martial arts.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Bruce Lee was good but really he was not God that they try to portray him , I have seen many top martial artists who would have given him a run for his money .
Run for his money but pound for pound the best and I'm nto saying he was God but I don't know of any better. He would put two fingers on the wall and aply pressure for literally hours. Dude could just fly up and kick a 6ft guy in the head he was pretty remarkable and his jeet kun do is extremely difficult to duplicate. Just saying. He still was the GOAT.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Run for his money but pound for pound the best and I'm nto saying he was God but I don't know of any better. He would put two fingers on the wall and aply pressure for literally hours. Dude could just fly up and kick a 6ft guy in the head he was pretty remarkable and his jeet kun do is extremely difficult to duplicate. Just saying. He still was the GOAT.
I have seen some incredible martial artists in my time, as good or possibly better than Bruce Lee, some of them not much to look at in their physical appearance but incredibly fast and agile and so powerful.
One was an old master of shotokan karate that I trained under at a special course in Crystal palace, his name Taiji Kase 8th Dan JKA, about 4 foot tall and round like a ball with short hands and feet that I was wondering how can he be any good but boy oh boy! This master was so powerful and fast! NO fancy techniques but he could probably knock a bull with his technique!

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I have seen some incredible martial artists in my time, as good or possibly better than Bruce Lee, some of them not much to look at in their physical appearance but incredibly fast and agile and so powerful.
One was an old master of shotokan karate that I trained under at a special course in Crystal palace, his name Taiji Kase 8th Dan JKA, about 4 foot tall and round like a ball with short hands and feet that I was wondering how can he be any good but boy oh boy! This master was so powerful and fast! NO fancy techniques but he could probably knock a bull with his technique!
You got to talk to me about Shotokan I don't know much about that but yes you are right and never judge a book by its cover. It was the same in the military. The guy you never expect ends up becoming a Navy Seal, Delta or a sniper. BTW you need 20/20 vision, that is why I couldn't become a sniper(really wanted to) but you see the skinny kid becomes a seal and the roided out juider doesn't even pass boot camp so doens't mater your physique it's how MENTALLY TOUGH YOU ARE that matters
I'm just a bit biased to Bruce Lee. It it cool you come from a Shotakan karate background at least I am talking to someone from a martial arts background. I don't know what Shotakan karate emphasizes in? I can talk to you a bit about Kempo. BTW like I said it was a LONG time ago when I took Karate, I think Bill Clinton just became the President of the United States haha.

BTW talk to me bro how long have you been taking Shotakan karate. I know what you are talking about where I train at Sityodtong(a top 10 mauy thay academy) there is this old Thai man who is probably under 5'2 and 145 pounds soaking wet and wearing boots. Dude's bones are as hard as rock(in MT you take punishment and then you keep breaking your bones and they eventually become hard as a rock) and he could EASILY knock out a professional football player who is 6'6 300. So talk to me bro what is the difference between Shotokan and say Kempo, what I took. Kempo was more combat Karate when I say a long time ago, Diego Maradona was still playing for Argentina when I took Karate. I made it up to Orange belt, then took TKD(Takwando) then for like 15 years I stopped EVERYTHING, until about 3 years ago when I started again, first with Jiu Jitsu and Judo now I added MT and boxing.

Growing up as a kid BOXING, not American football was my favorite sport. American football came up later plus I was a kin in the 80's so I got to grow up with the great legends like Sugar Ray, Roberto Duran and Mike Tyson and I watched all of Mohammed Ali's tapes. BTW I actually picked up trash talking, intimidation and how to get in your opponents heads though Duran, Tyson and of course the master Mohammed ALi. Maybe Karate is a gentleman's game about honor and all of that so is jiu jitsu but Mauy Thay and boxing you need to get in your opponents heads. If you can make your opponent think they lost before the fight, you won before the first punch. I would say Mohammed Ali was the GREATEST OF ALL TIME at getting into your head. The only guy he couldn't psych out was Joe Frazier. In the first fight lol Ali, "Joe Frazier, they told me you was washed up(I know wrong grammar this is Ali not me)." Frazier, "They told you wrong pretty boy."

Last edited:

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
You got to talk to me about Shotokan I don't know much about that but yes you are right and never judge a book by its cover. It was the same in the military. The guy you never expect ends up becoming a Navy Seal, Delta or a sniper. BTW you need 20/20 vision, that is why I couldn't become a sniper(really wanted to) but you see the skinny kid becomes a seal and the roided out juider doesn't even pass boot camp so doens't mater your physique it's how MENTALLY TOUGH YOU ARE that matters
I'm just a bit biased to Bruce Lee. It it cool you come from a Shotakan karate background at least I am talking to someone from a martial arts background. I don't know what Shotakan karate emphasizes in? I can talk to you a bit about Kempo. BTW like I said it was a LONG time ago when I took Karate, I think Bill Clinton just became the President of the United States haha.

BTW talk to me bro how long have you been taking Shotakan karate. I know what you are talking about where I train at Sityodtong(a top 10 mauy thay academy) there is this old Thai man who is probably under 5'2 and 145 pounds soaking wet and wearing boots. Dude's bones are as hard as rock(in MT you take punishment and then you keep breaking your bones and they eventually become hard as a rock) and he could EASILY knock out a professional football player who is 6'6 300. So talk to me bro what is the difference between Shotokan and say Kempo, what I took. Kempo was more combat Karate when I say a long time ago, Diego Maradona was still playing for Argentina when I took Karate. I made it up to Orange belt, then took TKD(Takwando) then for like 15 years I stopped EVERYTHING, until about 3 years ago when I started again, first with Jiu Jitsu and Judo now I added MT and boxing.

Growing up as a kid BOXING, not American football was my favorite sport. American football came up later plus I was a kin in the 80's so I got to grow up with the great legends like Sugar Ray, Roberto Duran and Mike Tyson and I watched all of Mohammed Ali's tapes. BTW I actually picked up trash talking, intimidation and how to get in your opponents heads though Duran, Tyson and of course the master Mohammed ALi. Maybe Karate is a gentleman's game about honor and all of that so is jiu jitsu but Mauy Thay and boxing you need to get in your opponents heads. If you can make your opponent think they lost before the fight, you won before the first punch. I would say Mohammed Ali was the GREATEST OF ALL TIME at getting into your head. The only guy he couldn't psych out was Joe Frazier. In the first fight lol Ali, "Joe Frazier, they told me you was washed up(I know wrong grammar this is Ali not me)." Frazier, "They told you wrong pretty boy."
Shotokan is a mainstream style of karate from Japan .

Like yourself I got interest in martial arts after watching Bruce Lee movies in the 70s ! I started in karate when I was about 16 years old in England ,did it for about 4-5 months ,then I stopped as I was heavily into football (soccer to you !) ....it was not until I was about 24 that my cousin who knew sensei Moshfegh encouraged me to join his school ,so I did and trained in his school for about a year in Tehran opposite Park Saee , I left Iran and in England I came across another great school of shotokan and trained with this master from 1985 to 2003 constantly ,after that time my sensei left the area and my training became somewhat irregular since my main instructor left and I felt less motivated to train with others and I stopped training altogether last year , you never know one day if I find another good school and a teacher I may start again .

I never had the desire to teach and must say never had an ego about it ,many of my football friends that I played with for years never knew I trained in karate ,but sometimes looked at me with round eyes and kind of amazement when occasionally unconsciously I did some karate techniques in football !

by that I don't mean I got into fights but using karate techniques unconsciously to play football ! once I accidentally hit an oppsing player with head kick to his temple knocking him out cold ! what happened was in a sunday park game I was playing as outfield player ,a high ball came towards me ,I tried to control the ball bringing it down to my feet but my touch was not good and the ball went over my head and automatically i turned around and tried to hit the ball which was at head hight ,not knowing the opposing player just headed the ball before my foot got there and my foot hit his temple instead of the ball and he dropped like a sack of potatoes ! of course I was very apologetic , if we were in karate competition that would have earned me an Ippon (full point ) or a knockout point !

I once or twice scored a goal with a back kick (ushiro geri) also almost scored with a jumping round house kick that hit the cross bar so hard it was rattling for a while ... not least my goalkeeping improved tremendously as a result of karate training ,since my speed and agility and body coordination improved so much .

Shotokan the way I learned is about self defence and the concept is economy of motion and one hit one kill concept ,meaning ending the conflict quickly , it means developing your technique in such a way that you could possibly end the fight with one or two techniques ,of course it is not always possible to do that but this is the mindset .

shotokan emphasises a lot on building strong foundation , then to learn to move fast and deliver a strong technique . I don't know about kempo or any other martial arts much so can't make a comparison .

what I like about shotokan is it's grace and dynamic movements and the fact that it caters for any age or size ,the emphasis on one hit one kill is certainly a good concept for those who are not as fit and able in physical appearance as others .

it is not about going 10 rounds with someone who is physically stronger and fitter or younger , it is about to hit and not to get hit concept ,that is the ultimate aim ,to avoid getting hit by moving out of the way of attack and being able to counter with a strong technique .

Easily said than done of course ,but this is what they work towards achieving in shotokan .

Last edited:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
That is pretty cool dude and you have more martial arts experience than me but to be fair, I was born in 1982 but I still watched all of the Bruce Lee movies. Except for me, in the 80's and early 90's Bruce Lee was already dead and Jean Claude Vandamme was in. I grew up with Bloodsport and The Kickboxer. Ironically, the movie was called The Kickboxer but it was about MAUY THAY. When I was 12 that movie came out and I thought Mauy Thay was the coolest thing in the world. However, Mauy Thay came years later.

So when I was a kid I started out with Karate and did that for about a year. Then I heavily got involved into boxing and I am still into boxing( you can take boxing at my mauy thay academy) and four years ago I added Judo and Jiu Jitsu because my friends told me, 'You need to work on your grappling." I know what you mean about using your martial arts on the pitch. I played American football(the one with the odd shaped ball lol not the round ball). I scored a few touchdowns not because I was a big receiver(The guy who catches the ball) or fast( I was actually average speed for a skilled position) but my footwork and hands were second to none. I would be able to juke the cornerback or defensive back(the guy on defense who guards the receiver) all because of my footwork so I can get how knowing karate will help your martial arts.

Now I've been taking Brazilian Jiu Jutsu and I started at Gracie jiu jitsu. It was good but once I got my blue belt, I went to this Mauy Thay academy in Pasadena. The reason why I picked SItyodtong is because it is a top 10 MT academy in the world and you get to rub shoulders with former UFC champions and current UFC fighters! They are super cool and super nice, especially since they know I was in the military. Of course these guys are professional fighters but when I train with them they are such GENTLEMEN. These guys if they wanted to, could knock me out in less than 10 seconds like ding ding here's the bell and bam a right cross and I'm down and out for the count lol. But....they don't do that because if they do that then how will I learn? What got me into teaching is when I was a kid, I was kind of on the short and fat side and I wore big thick glasses so I WAS A TARGET FOR BULLIES. That is why my parrents put me in martial arts so I could defend myself.

BTW it is NEVER TOO LATE TO GO BACK. You already have one key advantage, you have years of martial arts experience it's like riding a bike, you never forget. You might be slower on your technique and movements but that is only natural. I had like a 12 year hiatus from martial arts because in high school, football took up most of my time and in college, I was studying Engineering and I was in a fraternity. You can't be in a Fraternity, plus be an engineering major(where you need to study like 40 hours a week) and do MMA. Something is going to have to give so Mixed Martial Arts was put on the back burner.

Then I joined the Navy so I really couldn't do martial arts but the favorite part of boot camp was when they did the CTS(Combat Training Simulation) and that is where I shined. I might not have been the best shooter(decent) or the best martial marcher(decent again because I know music and beats) but pound for pound nobody could touch me on the combat part, even if they were bigger than me. I am not trying to brag or anything but I'm sure you understand why I had no problems with the combat part of boot camp.

Anyways I've been out of the navy now for 4 years and I took up martial arts again and life is great! The real reason actually why I signed up was because I was suffering from some major PTSD and depression. I went from working 72 - 80 hours a week, happy and proud wearing the uniform and all of that to I'm an unemployed nobody with a masters degree!

Anyways, fast forward to today. I always told myself, "If I ever get good enough I am going to teach kids martial arts so they don't have to go through the same things I did so they can defend themselves and not get bullied." Oh I have one rule and if you break it you are OUT and I had to kick one kid out. He fought another kid at school and I could have pardoned that but this is what I couldn't pardon. HE WAS THE BULLY he even confessed it to me and I told his parents, "Please take your kid out of Sityodtong, we don't train our kids to be bullies MARTIAL ARTS IS FOR SELF DEFENSE ONLY." I come from the Mr. Myiagi school of thought(I know you know the reference if you like Karate movies lol Karate kid) As Mr. Myiagi once said RIP, "Karate is used ONLY DEFENSE NEVER OFFENSE." BTW the only reason why I teach is because I am pretty cool with the owners and he is kind of short handed on kiddy instructors and they need a guy with a grappling and striking background. Plus it gives me a little bit of extra cash money. Teaching martial arts at the kiddy level and teaching kids piano is what's saving this guy's rear end.

BTW I heard Iran has some FANTASTIC KARATE SCHOOLS. Oh and that is not uncommon to lose your motivation when your sense leaves. Sorry for the late reply but I wanted to read your post fully and you had a lot of points I had to cover.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I had to make another post because that one was getting long. Judo and Jiu Jitsu comes from Japan as well. When Mr. Gracie went to Japan about 150 years ago, he learned it, went back to Brazil and taught it to his friends. The jiu jitsu in Brazil became different though it was more made for sport. Back in the day in Japan, Jiu Jitsu was death combat. Don't forget you didn't have 2 inch padded mats, you rolled around outside.

The reason why I mix Judo Jiu Jitsu, boxing and Mauy Thay is because it works. My philosiphy and MT philosophy is the best defense is an elite offense. What I like about jiu jitsu is I can beat guys who are 50 pounds bigger than me because in Jiu JItsu all I need to do is wrap my legs around you and squeeze the life out of you, and I do have thunder thighes from playing football and all of that martial arts. Your punching power gets reduced by 50%, even if you have the advantage position and you are on top of me.

When you know Judo Jiu JItsu and Mauy Thay Boxing you can have multiple strategies. You can start the fight by striking using boxing and mauy thay, then take the fight to the ground. Then it's just a matter of out cardio your opponent and I swim for 45 minutes a day(i used to run in the Navy but running messes up your joints). I got injured and couldn't do MMA for 9 months because of it so now I swim.

What I tell my friends is martial arts is more than just taking the classes. You need to PUT IN WORK OUTSIDE OF THE DOJO, you need to hit the weights, watch what you eat and do cardio. Like for example, I only practice about 5-6 hours of Martial Arts a week 2 hrs of MT, 2 hrs of boxing and 2 hrs of jiu jitsu/judo. I do weight lifting or swimming for 10-12 hours a week so double. I might not have the body that I want but it really helped me lose weight. I was a size 38 now I wear a size 32 with a belt. inches you guys use the metric system.

There is no right or wrong style sometimes when I feel like it, you can use a very defensive style and box or mauy thay your opponent through counter punches and kicks. Of course I don't throw punches in mauy thay you learn that elbows cause much more damage than punches so I got used to throwing elbows. I sometimes get a WTF when I box with my friends and I go for a clinch and throw an elbow. Then my friends say something funny like, "Hey genius this is boxing not mauy thay" but you know in MUSCLE MEMORY if you do something enough it becomes habit so sometimes I can't help but to throw an elbow and go in a clinch. It is hard to take off your MT hat and put on your boxing hat. lol.

Dec 30, 2014
Bruce Lee was good but really he was not God that they try to portray him , I have seen many top martial artists who would have given him a run for his money .
I do not know enough to pass on opinion about his skills. But I know that Bruce Lee had a lot to do with the popularity of martial arts in Iran.

I remember having gone to a few of his movies in the 70s Tehran. Every time we walked out of the movie theater, you could see boys, from 5 to 50, coming out of the theater ooohing and aaahing like Bruce Lee, and throwing a few kicks in the air. Many of them, begged and cajoled their parents into sending them to Kung Fu and Karate classes afterwards.

We had a neighbor who actually looked a bit oriental, and he took the movies way too seriously. He would walk around carrying nun-chucks under his shirt, and giving everyone Bruce Lee looks. He was pretty soon called Bahram Lee, and he actually liked it.

Looking back at it, it was pretty funny.

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
I would love to learn from their wisdom and you are right no style is the best style this is what Master Lee said about style. He was the original mixed martial artist you could say that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OCCAVjUczs
yo mi n!gga, see.... that's why he was huge!

The Art Of Fighting Without Fighting!!!

[video=youtube;8H-FiCIMh20]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H-FiCIMh20[/video]