Realistically how many friendly matches we need until World Cup? What are your preferences?

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
So now the qualification is over, the next stage before WC is arranging some half decent friendlies. The key to be more prepared to WC. I think we need between 8 to 10 games from now to WC. Knowing IFF i would be happy if they manage to have around 6-7.

Two are already confirmed: Togo and Russia in late of September and early of October(both in Russia).

I guess getting Togo was mainly because other African countries are involved for their qualifications, so not much of choices for that date.

What are your friendlies preferences(Europe, Africa, South America)??

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
We are probably not going to get the big boys like: Germany, France, Brazil or Argentina so I will keep that in mind and pick a few from each continent.
South America.

Chile, Columbia, Peru
Europe
Poland, Austria, Scotland

Africa
Algeria, Morocco

Concacaf
Costa Rica, Mexico.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
So now the qualification is over, the next stage before WC is arranging some half decent friendlies. The key to be more prepared to WC. I think we need between 8 to 10 games from now to WC. Knowing IFF i would be happy if they manage to have around 6-7.

Two are already confirmed: Togo and Russia in late of September and early of October(both in Russia).

I guess getting Togo was mainly because other African countries are involved for their qualifications, so not much of choices for that date.

What are your friendlies preferences(Europe, Africa, South America)??
8-10 games would be ideal , meeting two from each of those continents would be nice ,but we are what we are and in this day and age we have to pick up the crumbs ,what is left over ,like the old saying beggars can't be choosers !

we will have a hard time in the world cup ,expectations are high ,all team melli fans want them to go beyond the first stage but unless our preparations are good enough it is very unlikely that we do , we just don't have the consistency in front of goal to turn our opportunities into goals and that can only improve with having some playing time against some good opponents , we waste too many chances , getting close is not good enough you need to turn them in to goals ,if you can't do it against a team like Syria it will be much harder in the world cup , as history tells the less prepare you are the less luck you will have as well .

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
We definitely won't be grouped with any Asian teams and most probably no North/Central Americans. I'd go with 6 games. Two from Euro. Africa and South America each.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2006
Copenhagen-Denmark
Hold on your horses.
8-10 friendlies is not realistic.
Iran can only play friendlies at official FIFA match days and there are only 6 days.
Here are the 6 remaining FIFA match days before world Cup:
02-10 OCT (2 matches)
06-14 NOV (2 matches)
19-27 MAR (2 matches)

Feb 15, 2006
Copenhagen-Denmark
who ever we face we MUST think about FIFA ranking December, which will decide which pot Iran will be in for the World Cup.
If we are crap we will be again again in the 4th pot, but if we are good, we may end up in 3rd pot for the first time ever.

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
who ever we face we MUST think about FIFA ranking December, which will decide which pot Iran will be in for the World Cup.
If we are crap we will be again again in the 4th pot, but if we are good, we may end up in 3rd pot for the first time ever.
Good Observation Marlon.

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
Hold on your horses.
8-10 friendlies is not realistic.
Iran can only play friendlies at official FIFA match days and there are only 6 days.
Here are the 6 remaining FIFA match days before world Cup:
02-10 OCT (2 matches)
06-14 NOV (2 matches)
19-27 MAR (2 matches)
Assuming also we play 2 a month before WC when football season is over(we actually pretty much did that in previous WCs) will make it around 8! Anyway we for sure will play more than 2 in 2018(6 months).

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Just one friendly against Montakhabe Baghershahr should do the trick.

تيم ملي فوتبال با منتخب باقر شهر ديدار مي***كند
تيم ملي فوتبال ايران روز پنج شنبه اين هفته در باقر شهر به ميدان مي***رود. به گزارش ايسنا، شهرداري باقرشهر از شهرستانهاي تابعه استان تهران در جنوب شهرري اقدام به ساخت يك ورزشگاه ده هزار نفري كرده است و دكتر دادگان هفته گذشته از اين ورزشگاه بازديد كرد و براي تشويق مسئولين و مردم باقرشهر قول حضور تيم ملي در اين ورزشگاه و برگزاري يك بازي با منتخب اين شهرستان را به شهردار باقرشهر داد. به همين منظور تيم ملي ايران 5 شنبه 23 تيرماه، ساعت 18:30 در ورزشگاه ايثارگران باقرشهر با تيم منتخب اين شهرستان به ميدان خواهد رفت. انتهاي پيام

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
Just one friendly against Montakhabe Baghershahr should do the trick.

تيم ملي فوتبال با منتخب باقر شهر ديدار مي***كند
تيم ملي فوتبال ايران روز پنج شنبه اين هفته در باقر شهر به ميدان مي***رود. به گزارش ايسنا، شهرداري باقرشهر از شهرستانهاي تابعه استان تهران در جنوب شهرري اقدام به ساخت يك ورزشگاه ده هزار نفري كرده است و دكتر دادگان هفته گذشته از اين ورزشگاه بازديد كرد و براي تشويق مسئولين و مردم باقرشهر قول حضور تيم ملي در اين ورزشگاه و برگزاري يك بازي با منتخب اين شهرستان را به شهردار باقرشهر داد. به همين منظور تيم ملي ايران 5 شنبه 23 تيرماه، ساعت 18:30 در ورزشگاه ايثارگران باقرشهر با تيم منتخب اين شهرستان به ميدان خواهد رفت. انتهاي پيام

برادر کجای کاری کنسل شد آل ردی

Fatso

Captain
Oct 1, 2004
We will have another 2 friendlies probably in the final training camp just before the World Cup starts in Russia that will not be on the FIFA match days.

TM should play any speedy, physical side.

We'll be ok versus teams that love possession, but any team with surprise and strength will be a challenge.

Well the more the better but then you need to divide them to pre and post WC draw so you can pick the right countries to play with ( if there is a choice)

I always said it for countries like Iran which have issue with playing decent friendly matches , we need to arrange playing with some good Clubs , Pick any Spanish, French or German club who don't have many international players and play them. Like we did against AS Roma in 2004 . Pick Villarreal , they only have 5 international payers so pretty much they have a good and harmonized team to play against. or pick Lyon from Ligue 1 . these are much better than Macedonia or Abania or even Russia

my 2 cents
.[video=youtube;9tTDmGntqao]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tTDmGntqao[/video]

Last edited:
May 12, 2007
Like RM i think of clubs. Ivic had some good experience with clubs. CQ tried som African clubs. It is not a good idea if we go after playing big teams
like Brezil and Germany. Since they can crush os and are usually expensive. 1 million $ per game. Togo Russia Sweden austria and 4 or 5 clubs can be arranged cheap.

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
Like RM i think of clubs. Ivic had some good experience with clubs. CQ tried som African clubs. It is not a good idea if we go after playing big teams
like Brezil and Germany. Since they can crush os and are usually expensive. 1 million $ per game. Togo Russia Sweden austria and 4 or 5 clubs can be arranged cheap.
We played against Montenegro which are in playoff spot for Europe qualifications and now Russia, so i would be happy if we end up having these kind friendlies.

Anyway as RM said once we find out what our group looks like we will have a better idea.

May 12, 2007
We played against Montenegro which are in playoff spot for Europe qualifications and now Russia, so i would be happy if we end up having these kind friendlies.

Anyway as RM said once we find out what our group looks like we will have a better idea.
absolutely. I just say it is not good to play with big teams like Brezil.

May 21, 2003
Not The Eshaalic Goozpublic !
IR needs to play a couple of European teams for sure, preferably outside the balkans ...

what is imperative is for them to play countries that have qualified (or will qualify):

I would say maybe Iceland for height and strength. Belgium for skill + stamina. They should play a south American nation too for tempo, Uruguay would be a good test.

i think there are two maybe three international days during the winter, spring and then prior to the WC a couple of weeks of friendlies.

they should definitely finish off against Malta or Cyprus. (maybe Gibraltar or faroe islands)

they should hold off till the draw is done for arranging most their friendlies