Robin Williams trashes Australians on Letterman

Zaagros

Bench Warmer
Nov 14, 2002
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PTJPm1Z0V4"]YouTube- Williams: "If Darwin landed in Aus he'd find English rednecks in a weird timewarp" - 1 drongo nation[/nomedia]

Slyguy

Ball Boy
Dec 10, 2002
There are way more rednecks in the US & UK than in Australia for sure. Australians are much more laid back than the british or the Americans and i will live in Australia any day ahead of UK or the US (i have visited all three countries).

Jahel

Ball Boy
Nov 20, 2004
There are way more rednecks in the US & UK than in Australia for sure. Australians are much more laid back than the british or the Americans and i will live in Australia any day ahead of UK or the US (i have visited all three countries).
Me too, live in Australia and believe it is the best place to live. However I wouldn't take Williams' joke too seriously; he was just joking and Aussies can take jokes quite well

Last edited:

The_Referee

National Team Player
Mar 26, 2005
Jabolqa Opposite Jabolsa
If the joke was from, say a Middle Eastern, Indian, African or anyone other than those countries with rednecks all over, Aussies would have laughed at it, even if Aussies pride themselves as a tolerant and multi-cultural society rightly or wrongly. But coming from an American, notorious for their own redneck species, does not go down well. It is even worse when he says Aussies are English rednecks...who are also notorious for their racism against Pakistanis etc.

My personal opinion and experience is that Aussies are more laid back and friendlier than Europeans and Americans. However, because of their friendliness, they are not really politically correct all the time. They are a bit FOZOOL in a way as compared to, say Californians. A Californian is warm and friendly but avoid trouble questions whereas an Aussie, and worse the Kiwis (New Zealanders), will initiate talks about things you hate most to be asked, e.g. Ayatollahs, treatment of women etc. Correct me if I am wrong but most Californians do not ask you if you do not talk about it yourself. The other thing pisses Iranian off here is their lack of understanding about the Arab/Iranian difference. I do not even think it is an issue but I know people get really pissed off about it. That, in America is the same. But in Europe they know we are really different but they say...what the heck..the same sh!t! :)

Jahel

Ball Boy
Nov 20, 2004
However, because of their friendliness, they are not really politically correct all the time. They are a bit FOZOOL in a way as compared to, say Californians. A Californian is warm and friendly but avoid trouble questions whereas an Aussie, and worse the Kiwis (New Zealanders), will initiate talks about things you hate most to be asked, e.g. Ayatollahs, treatment of women etc.
I think by Fozool you mean "being smart ass" and telling us that "I know where u r coming from; you kill homosexuals, right?"
And that is true although I am not familiar with how American manage such discussions. You are right in saying that after one or two beers Aussies tend to be a bit politically incorrect but again u can also be politically incorrect with them as much as u like. In fact the moment they realize that they cannot mess around with you they set back and start correcting themselves by saying things like "what have we done ourselves? killing aboriginals on the trees!!"