Rohani announces his cabinet, Picks Jannati's son to be the "Cultural" Minister

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
BTW, another notable absentee from Rohani's cabinet was a woman, after all his bullshit campaign promises of equality for women particularly in the work place! It's funny (in a very sad way) how we Iranians expect a different output when we keep using the exact same inputs into the exact same equation! Another funny sad fact is that we want reforms, but we're willing to wait for them to start tomorrow, rather than demanding them now!

Feb 22, 2005
How many of them are from the Rafsanjani cabinet?

Pretty happy. Aref was an absolute failure as the minister of PTT. He can be a university chancellor, and nothing more. BTW, Aref is not much more reformist than Rouhani. Read his comments about the 88 election and "Fetneh". He was just a figurehead, and nothing more.

About Rouhani's cabinet in general, I did think that he was going to repeat Rafsanjani's 2nd cabinet experience, but did not imagine he was going to do it with the same men! At 65 he is pretty much the youngster inthis government :)

Feb 22, 2005
I dont think Iranians have any choice and the chains is so tight around their neck both politically, socially, and economically, that the are just trying to hold their head above the water and get some air. I think they are very few that thinks he will make any big changes but people are so badbakht and destitute, depressed, powerless, and pained that days of Rafsanjani and Khatami seems like heaven.

Back in 1977, very few people could have imagined that their fight against Shah to get more freedoms would lead to such badbakht Iran. Who could have imagined. And now, you cannot get it out of these religious fanatic's grips. All you can wish for is a little room to breath and not scream loud enough to end up in the torture dungeons of the Islamic republic.

BTW, another notable absentee from Rohani's cabinet was a woman, after all his bullshit campaign promises of equality for women particularly in the work place! It's funny (in a very sad way) how we Iranians expect a different output when we keep using the exact same inputs into the exact same equation! Another funny sad fact is that we want reforms, but we're willing to wait for them to start tomorrow, rather than demanding them now!

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
I have said several times here - I will never blame anyone who lives inside Iran for what they say or even do - when it comes to IR.
But for those of us living outside - we MUST never compromise the basics. IR must die - and it is not reformable.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
I have said several times here - I will never blame anyone who lives inside Iran for what they say or even do - when it comes to IR.
But for those of us living outside - we MUST never compromise the basics. IR must die - and it is not reformable.
You're right Masoud jaan, we can't blame them for the choices they make. What pisses me off though is that when shit hits the fan, they blame everyone else but themselves for those choices! Like sanctions aren't the fault of the regime they just put a stamp of approval on, but it's the fault of the rest of the world including those of us outside who support them. And bombs start stopping at some point, we'll be talking about it for the next 60 years how we had a peace-loving, friendly country with a western-educated moderate leader and America robbed us of our identity and future! ;)

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
I actually think Aref is Iran's next president. I also have a feeling Rohani's conservative approach can cost him a re-election if Aref signs up again. The situation in Iran is very much in favor of reformists and that's exactly why Rohani won. There won't be a next time for him if the current trend continues.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
There won't be a next time for him if the current trend continues.
What is the current trend ?
People who voted for Rohani has no expectations what so ever. You already see the talks about how limited the presidential role in Iran is and ... I think most of them are quite HAPPY and SATISFIED with what Rohani accomplished already.

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
Well, Pour-mohammadi is certainly a stinker though Dadgostari is the most useless ministry by far. But it's obvious he hasn't given in to pressures about picking the guys he wants. Shariatmadari is certainly barking which is an encouraging sign.

The real question as to how the next few years will be will be answered over the next week or so in Majlis' response to these candidates. It would be surprising if they let Zarif and Zanganeh to go ahead, and if they do it would signal an important strategic change in the right. The second question will take longer to answer. While a bunch of these guys where Kargozaran/technocrats in 60s, it's not easy to know where they stand with regards to reformists. That will take some time to transpire, and that's if they get accepted by Majlis.

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
Yes that's the second stinker. But I kind of agree with what he said today in his press conference. AN's female minister was just for advertisement. It is far more important for women to have numerous lower managerial positions than to take a symbolic ministerial post. Women need to create a foundation for their rightful political presence, not be appointed by a "man".

Still it sucks.

Jun 18, 2005
absolutely for those of us living abroad all of it means $hit.

but for those living and suffering in Iran even a 10% improvement in government operations could be critical.

imagine if you are a factory owner producing pickles and your power keeps going out. it matters to you who the Niroo guy is gone be.

Image if you are farmer and your crop insurance requires a ton of paper work and bribes, it matters to you if your money is paid to your 30 days earlier.

same goes for Danesh joo, imagine if you complete your studies and it takes a year to receive your diploma, it helps you big time to have that process streamlined.

so yes from 10000 feet view these things don' really make big difference.

but everyday people could sense real change in their daily struggle to just get by.
You are speaking as if economically the situation has improved in Iran over the past 35 years. The answer is, IT HAS NOT. No matter who the president has been and what they promised the value of Iranian currency has dropped and the prices have gone up and living situation has become more unbearable. At the very root of it is Islamic Republic and its ridiculous policies of antagonizing private business and pissing off world powers to the point of shutting down trade.

I am amazed at how you or some others come here and claim that economically one president will happen to work out for Iranians or business owners. Like I said economically speaking its been downhill regardless of who the president has been.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Well, Pour-mohammadi is certainly a stinker though Dadgostari is the most useless ministry by far. But it's obvious he hasn't given in to pressures about picking the guys he wants. Shariatmadari is certainly barking which is an encouraging sign.

The real question as to how the next few years will be will be answered over the next week or so in Majlis' response to these candidates. It would be surprising if they let Zarif and Zanganeh to go ahead, and if they do it would signal an important strategic change in the right. The second question will take longer to answer. While a bunch of these guys where Kargozaran/technocrats in 60s, it's not easy to know where they stand with regards to reformists. That will take some time to transpire, and that's if they get accepted by Majlis.
Apparently, Khamenei had already rejected several of Rohani's ministers, the two most important being Ali Younesi as the Intelligence Minister and Ahmad Masjed Jame’I as his minster for Culture and Islamic Guidance (Ershad). That's why he had to go with Alavi and Jannati! And there's at least some chatter of resistance in Majles to a few of his ministers, mainly Zanganeh. Make the long story short, the puppeteers are pulling the strings - Rohani's just a friendlier looking puppet than AN. At least AN had the balls to stand up to both Majles and Rahbar - I highly doubt we'll see any of that from Rohani - he has already shown that he'll take the path of least resistance.

Jun 18, 2005
I have to add one more thing. This is not Rohani's cabinet. Its very much Khamenei's cabinet. He runs the show. He always has. Khamenei knew that the regime was becoming increasing unpopular even among moderate Islamic forces that were previously loyal to it so he arranged for the latest "Hamayese Siasi" where some people more than willingly participated in hopes of reducing sanctions or prices of commodities in Iran. All I have to say is good luck with that! If Khamenei was concerned about the prices or the economy they would have made those concessions regardless of who the president is.

The participation and embracing of the current president is merely a support for Khamenei and amounts to nothing more. We all know who runs the show in Iran and its not the president, majles, or judiciary.

feyenoord

Bench Warmer
Aug 23, 2005
Apparently, Khamenei had already rejected several of Rohani's ministers, the two most important being Ali Younesi as the Intelligence Minister and Ahmad Masjed Jame’I as his minster for Culture and Islamic Guidance (Ershad). That's why he had to go with Alavi and Jannati! And there's at least some chatter of resistance in Majles to a few of his ministers, mainly Zanganeh. Make the long story short, the puppeteers are pulling the strings - Rohani's just a friendlier looking puppet than AN. At least AN had the balls to stand up to both Majles and Rahbar - I highly doubt we'll see any of that from Rohani - he has already shown that he'll take the path of least resistance.
I think culture ministry is important as well as vezarate oloom. Those are the ministries that have an influence in shaping the minds of future generations. I hope that Jannati dude follows Rafsanjani in that sense.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
I think culture ministry is important as well as vezarate oloom. Those are the ministries that have an influence in shaping the minds of future generations. I hope that Jannati dude follows Rafsanjani in that sense.
Why would he bro, he was Khamenei's pick for the position according to Saham.

Oct 18, 2002

Legally Rohani has to choose the justice minister from candidates proposed by the judiciary chief, and he suggested pourmohammadi. Rohani had no choice there and the position means nothing. The justice minister in Iran is nothing more than a paperboy. As for others, it seems Zarif has a fair chance of confirmation. I think Majlis will likely reject Monfared (Higher education) and Rabiee (Labor). Both are too close to Khatami. Also Akhundi (for transportation and housing) does not have much chance unless there is some backroom deal. Actually it is better if he is rejected and Ghalibaf is given this post. The old timers Najafi and Zanganeh will have a hard time too. I think we should expect 3-5 rejections.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
Care to elaborate and give us EXAMPLES on how Rafsanjani in his 8 year as a Iranian president and 30+ years as a instrumental figure in IR has done SPECIFICALLY to "shape the minds of the future generations" in a positive way !! that we should hope Jannati follow him !!!

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
So that is the dominating psyche in Iran today. "Give it in" if doing so might provide you some needed temporary relief and/or material for your factory, fertilizer for your farm or a chunk of meat in your Abgoosht e Bozbaash then it is OK to capitulate and follow the path which dictated to me by this murderous regime.

How did we last for so long? if today's attitude toward our Nation has stooped to this unbelievable lowest of low. No matter what, as long as some regime operative throws me a bone (acquired by my own money) which can keep my head an inch above the water then every thing is fine and dandy.

We never learned anything from our elders in 1357 when they warned us about the path we were taking, after 34 years it looks like we don't want to learn even from our courageous youth either. See what Jaanbaaz Mohammad Mokhtaari said the night before he ascended to Glory. Read "WHAT IT IS CAPTIONED ON THE PICTURE". Mohammad!! There is NO way in the world an opportunistic person like myself can be from the same soil as you were. Period!!

KItTLyp.jpg

Every civilization has its own climb and following decline I'm arriving in this conclusion that IRR and the way we are dealing with is our ultimate demise. So Let it go, we have been hanging on to it for too long with no apparent glory ever since 7th century. Where do I go to revoke my unflattering citizenship?

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
You are speaking as if economically the situation has improved in Iran over the past 35 years. The answer is, IT HAS NOT.
My Answer absolute it has made a difference.
I used to get stuck left and right in elevator when the war was going on because power kept going out.
That never happened to me Afterwards.

if you had your answer No matter who the president has been and what they promised the value of Iranian currency has dropped and the prices have gone up and living situation has become more unbearable.
Inflation goes on in Every country.
In Iran's case inflation has been too high for 35 years. you could argue for 40 years if you listened to likes ali naghi alikhani.
but the reality is somebody like Khatami did manage to put policies that reduced inflation from 25% to 9% in 8 years.
I guess that's working in the right direction.

I am amazed at how you or some others come here and claim that economically one president will happen to work out for Iranians or business owners. Like I said economically speaking its been downhill regardless of who the president has been.
We can claim because it has happened. Khatami managed Iran's budget for many years when the oil prices were at 9-15 bucks.

was he the best hell no. but he was definitely better than the guy before him and after him.