Shapour Bakhtiar on Iran Iraq war

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
It is still not clear who allowed Khomenie to land. The military blamed it on Bakhtiar and Baktiar blames it on military. What is clear is without Shah, the military was in disarray. How I wish time could be reversed and one would tell Shah not to leave the country. How one wishes it was possible to go back and have Shah execute SOB khominie, Rafsanjani and the political mF***ers akhoonds back then.
That's a very good question. I always wondered why would a regime allow its mortal enemy land in the capital and receive a hero's welcome. There a lot of analogies between what happened in Egypt a few days a go and Iran, In Egypt, we find out that the military was not ruled by Mubarak. They are an institution onto themselves. In Iran , the military after Shah's departure was leaderless. There was no chain of command to close down the airport, for example. I am sure Bakhtiar was also swept up by events and did not have the stomach to do it. I am not even sure he had the authority. Was he the acting commander in chief after Shah left? I don't remember. He was perhaps hoping he could come to some kind of peace with Khomeini so he didn't want to make him mad.

parham79

Bench Warmer
Dec 5, 2009
The Nojeh uprising wasn't the only contact Bakhtiyar made in the armed forces. I'm not sure how many people here know Gen Fakouri is, he was the IRIAF commander after revolution or the second commander after General Bagheri who was executed. Anyway there was some contacts made between he and bakhtiyar after the General (he was one of the big named air force ranking officers to defect towards khomenie) had become very angry privately with the mass purges and incompetent people being rewarded huge spike in ranks without any accomplishments. There were rumors some of the airforce staff along with the ground forces wanted to overthrow the khomenie regime and take full control of the war effort and end it. This was leaked and Rafsanjani the snake informed khamenie and Khomenie. They decided the Khofash C-130 carrying the Gen had to be sabotaged to make it look like an ordinary accident.Few sepahis were onboard as well and it was decided that they would be sacrificed.

When Rafsanjani says I know a lot of things that rahbar dosent want me to tell anyone, that's one of them. Anyway, by 1982, the regime had purged the armed forces that there was very little chance of change within the army.Most of the air force and army people to this day know Fakouri was assassinated.

parham79

Bench Warmer
Dec 5, 2009
That's a very good question. I always wondered why would a regime allow its mortal enemy land in the capital and receive a hero's welcome. There a lot of analogies between what happened in Egypt a few days a go and Iran, In Egypt, we find out that the military was not ruled by Mubarak. They are an institution onto themselves. In Iran , the military after Shah's departure was leaderless. There was no chain of command to close down the airport, for example. I am sure Bakhtiar was also swept up by events and did not have the stomach to do it. I am not even sure he had the authority. Was he the acting commander in chief after Shah left? I don't remember. He was perhaps hoping he could come to some kind of peace with Khomeini so he didn't want to make him mad.
No Raabi, Fardoost and gharebaghi had strict orders from carters people in iran not to harm khomenie and join his revolution. Carter installed the green belt and khomenie was the key chess piece.Fardoost and gharebaghi are the biggest snakes in irans modern history.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
No Raabi, Fardoost and gharebaghi had strict orders from carters people in iran not to harm khomenie and join his revolution. Carter installed the green belt and khomenie was the key chess piece.Fardoost and gharebaghi are the biggest snakes in irans modern history.
I agree with the Carter part but not with the green belt theory. Reagan faced a similar uprising in El Salvador after his election. If he had gone the route of Carter,El Salvadore would have been handed over to the communist FMLN.

May 9, 2004
Behrou jan, all he was saying is that Khomeini can come back as an Iranian as all other Iranians but not as a political leader. I couldn't find the interview I saw a while ago in which he accuses Khomeini of trying to take Iran back centuries. I will post it when I do.

عوضی. اول بگو از جنرال پارسیان و حمله ارتش آزادیبخش در اسرائیل به ایران چه خبر. بگو چرا اسم چنین آدمیرو انتخاب کردی؟ خائن .

بختیار هیچ خیانتی به ایران نکرد. تو عرب زده خائن هستی که دروغ های یک عراقی رو باور کردی
عوضی شما تشریف دارید که فکر میکنید هر کسی خلاف عقیده شما حرفی زد دروغ گفته
وزیر عراقی سالها بعد از سقوط صدام و سالهای سال بعد از کشته شدن بختیار این مصاحبه را انجام داده
و مصاحبه بیش از هشت ساعت بوده و تنها بیست دقیقه در این مورد صحبت کرد
اصل مصاحبه مستقیما ربطی به بختیار نداشته
همچنین حتما می خواهید انکار کنید که بختیار در بغداد رادیو زده بود
و یا شاید فکر میکنید این رادیو را برای پشتیبانی سربازان ایرانی در دفاع از خاک وطن زده بوده و بر علیه عراق بوده
اره؟
یا می خواهی انکار کنی که بختیار دست در دست صدام گذاشت و همه این را می دانند
در این قسمت از مصاحبه در مورد توطئه بختیار و اویسی و جلسات انها و صدام حتی قبل از جنگ صحبت می کند
میگوید بختیار چنان در مورد پوشالی شدن ارتش بعد از اعدام ها و فرار ژنرالهای ایرانی و از بین رفتن قدرت نیروی هوایی با صدام در حضور من و وزیر جنگ صحبت می کرد
که برای ما حمله به ایران به نظر قدم زدن در پارک امد
و این یکی از بزرگترین دلایلی بود که صدام در ان زمان به ایران حمله کرد
و ژنرال ایرانی (اویسی ) نقشه های مهمی را به وزیر جنگ داد
و در اثنا جنگ بختیار رادیویی در بغداد باز کرده و سربازان ایرانی را به شورش علیه رژیم فرا می خوانده و انتظار داشته که صدام بعد از تسخیر خوزستان حکومتی
انجا به رهبری بختیار بگذارد
و بختیار انجا را سگویی برای سقوط رژیم ایران قرار دهد
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63kaXH-wabc
حالا تو بیا بگو اینها همه دروغ است و نمی دانم من راست می گویم

Jun 18, 2005
I asked about general Badrei a while back since he was the one of the few generals who refused to accept the army has to stand down. Recently I watched some part of an Iranian series covering a perhaps semi fictional story where an American general with the help of Iranian officers was going to fire missiles on sensitive sites in Tehran to prevent the regime collapse. What stood out to me in this movie was how Gharebaghi was portrayed. He was depicted as a compassionate and thinking person who ultimately refused to take orders from the American general. That was pretty curious to me. You think Gharebaghi at the time cut a deal at the time with Islamists to declare neutrality in exchange for safe passage?

May 12, 2007
What do we learn from all these?
Any Iranian politicians WHO disobeys rulles made by US and Britain is trouble. They will find methods spies to bring him Down.
What should Shah have done? Set the oil Price Down or contact Soviet Union. Even if the rev didn't happen they would try other methods.
Do you agree?

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

General Abbas Gharabaghi was the last Chief of Staff of the Iranian armed forces as well as Deputy Commander-In-Chief of the Iranian Imperial Army during the rule of the Pahlavi dynasty. Appointed on 7 January 1979, his role was to support the Shah until the Shah left Iran, and then to support the civilian government the Shah left behind led by Prime Minister Bakhtiar. However, after much strife on the streets of Tehran and elsewhere, on 11 February 1979 Gharabaghi, along with 22 other senior military leaders, withdrew support of Bakhtiar, thus tacitly supporting the revolutionary Islamic republic.[1][2]

Abbas Gharabaghi published his account of the revolution in his books Haghayegh Darbareye Bohran-e Iran ("Facts About the Iran Crisis"), 1983, and Che Shod Ke Chonan Shod? ("Why did it happen?"), 1999.[3] It is said that his decision to declare the army's "neutrality" was the main reason for the final triumph of the Iranian Islamic Revolution which ended the monarchy.

In his book Haghayegh Darbareye Bohran-e Iran ("Facts About the Iran Crisis"), Gharabaghi expresses his strong support and loyalty to the Shah and paints a detailed picture of the chaos within the military ranks caused by the last government under the Shah which clearly holds Prime Minister Bakhtiar responsible for the downfall of the monarchy. [4] He justifies his decision to declare the army's "neutrality" as the only reasonable solution given the circumstances and in order to prevent further bloodshed and calls Bakhtiar a traitor.

He died in Paris in 2000.[5]

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
عوضی شما تشریف دارید که فکر میکنید هر کسی خلاف عقیده شما حرفی زد دروغ گفته
وزیر عراقی سالها بعد از سقوط صدام و سالهای سال بعد از کشته شدن بختیار این مصاحبه را انجام داده
و مصاحبه بیش از هشت ساعت بوده و تنها بیست دقیقه در این مورد صحبت کرد
اصل مصاحبه مستقیما ربطی به بختیار نداشته
همچنین حتما می خواهید انکار کنید که بختیار در بغداد رادیو زده بود
و یا شاید فکر میکنید این رادیو را برای پشتیبانی سربازان ایرانی در دفاع از خاک وطن زده بوده و بر علیه عراق بوده
اره؟
یا می خواهی انکار کنی که بختیار دست در دست صدام گذاشت و همه این را می دانند
در این قسمت از مصاحبه در مورد توطئه بختیار و اویسی و جلسات انها و صدام حتی قبل از جنگ صحبت می کند
میگوید بختیار چنان در مورد پوشالی شدن ارتش بعد از اعدام ها و فرار ژنرالهای ایرانی و از بین رفتن قدرت نیروی هوایی با صدام در حضور من و وزیر جنگ صحبت می کرد
که برای ما حمله به ایران به نظر قدم زدن در پارک امد
و این یکی از بزرگترین دلایلی بود که صدام در ان زمان به ایران حمله کرد
و ژنرال ایرانی (اویسی ) نقشه های مهمی را به وزیر جنگ داد
و در اثنا جنگ بختیار رادیویی در بغداد باز کرده و سربازان ایرانی را به شورش علیه رژیم فرا می خوانده و انتظار داشته که صدام بعد از تسخیر خوزستان حکومتی
انجا به رهبری بختیار بگذارد
و بختیار انجا را سگویی برای سقوط رژیم ایران قرار دهد
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63kaXH-wabc
حالا تو بیا بگو اینها همه دروغ است و نمی دانم من راست می گویم
عوضی*** اونیه که جواب سوال رو نمیده، آقای رهبر ارتش آزادیبخش. برو این دروغ***های عراقی*** هارو به یابو علفی***هایی*** مثل خودت بگو.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

General Abbas Gharabaghi was the last Chief of Staff of the Iranian armed forces as well as Deputy Commander-In-Chief of the Iranian Imperial Army during the rule of the Pahlavi dynasty. Appointed on 7 January 1979, his role was to support the Shah until the Shah left Iran, and then to support the civilian government the Shah left behind led by Prime Minister Bakhtiar. However, after much strife on the streets of Tehran and elsewhere, on 11 February 1979 Gharabaghi, along with 22 other senior military leaders, withdrew support of Bakhtiar, thus tacitly supporting the revolutionary Islamic republic.[1][2]

Abbas Gharabaghi published his account of the revolution in his books Haghayegh Darbareye Bohran-e Iran ("Facts About the Iran Crisis"), 1983, and Che Shod Ke Chonan Shod? ("Why did it happen?"), 1999.[3] It is said that his decision to declare the army's "neutrality" was the main reason for the final triumph of the Iranian Islamic Revolution which ended the monarchy.

In his book Haghayegh Darbareye Bohran-e Iran ("Facts About the Iran Crisis"), Gharabaghi expresses his strong support and loyalty to the Shah and paints a detailed picture of the chaos within the military ranks caused by the last government under the Shah which clearly holds Prime Minister Bakhtiar responsible for the downfall of the monarchy. [4] He justifies his decision to declare the army's "neutrality" as the only reasonable solution given the circumstances and in order to prevent further bloodshed and calls Bakhtiar a traitor.

He died in Paris in 2000.[5]
Where can you get his books?

parham79

Bench Warmer
Dec 5, 2009
I asked about general Badrei a while back since he was the one of the few generals who refused to accept the army has to stand down. Recently I watched some part of an Iranian series covering a perhaps semi fictional story where an American general with the help of Iranian officers was going to fire missiles on sensitive sites in Tehran to prevent the regime collapse. What stood out to me in this movie was how Gharebaghi was portrayed. He was depicted as a compassionate and thinking person who ultimately refused to take orders from the American general. That was pretty curious to me. You think Gharebaghi at the time cut a deal at the time with Islamists to declare neutrality in exchange for safe passage?
Gharebaghi started undermining the Bakhtiyar government as soon as it was formed and Shah fagih left the country. He was behind a push to gather a group of the chief of staff to abandon the Bakhtiyar government with the help of Fardoost and the seniles like Bazargan and Sanjabi and the so called Jebhe Melli who disgraced themselves.From America Berzehenski and through his chief mouth piece Gen Huyser they managed to isolate the late gen Baderi, Naji, Khosrodad, Ovesi and Rabbi.

For those doubting the interests of these traitors, think about this, Fardoost became the Khomenie regimes chief intelligent chief and to endear himself he orderd and masterminded shah's nephews assassination.Khomenie rewarded him for his deeds.

parham79

Bench Warmer
Dec 5, 2009
What do we learn from all these?
Any Iranian politicians WHO disobeys rulles made by US and Britain is trouble. They will find methods spies to bring him Down.
What should Shah have done? Set the oil Price Down or contact Soviet Union. Even if the rev didn't happen they would try other methods.
Do you agree?
Shah when he asked for the E3 airborne early warning platform was at first refused. He threatened to take his business to the Soviets and a few weeks later the congress approverd the sales but in lower numbers with less sensitive electronic equipments. As for the oil, he threatened the british and the world market that by 1979 he would triple the price and look what happen.

Feb 22, 2005
That is a very good question. Did Bakhtiar have command over the military or was military still reporting to Shah that had left the country.

Feb 22, 2005
Perham, you have great info here and I would love to hear more. I think Bakhtiar was a great man who thought he could change the history by stopping the Islamic republic from forming. I dont think he would have ever thought that Bazargan and the rest will not join him. I mean it was so clear to much. My dad who was a liberal religious man (but extremly momen) and knew few top akhoonds was told by the Akhoonds themselves several months before the revolution to get your kids out of here as the situation will get horrible. If some of these akhoonds who saw Khamonie take over as a problem, did you not think Bazargan and others were smart enough to see it?

At the sametime, I have heard this said by others and it is extremely possible that it was Bakhtiar's joining Shah and breaking rank with the national front that caused them to weaken and empowered khominie. I dont think it was possible for Bazargan and others to join as it was already way too late.

On can say if Bakhtiar did not join shah -----> Shah might not have left -----> national front would still be strong to negotiate as a whole with shah ------> The government would not have been weakened ------> Military would stay strong.

Hard to tell. Bakhtiar certainly meant well but perhaps his move caused the reverse. At least that is what I have heard from some of the very experts who did not like Shah and hate khominie and Islamic republic.

Gharebaghi started undermining the Bakhtiyar government as soon as it was formed and Shah fagih left the country. He was behind a push to gather a group of the chief of staff to abandon the Bakhtiyar government with the help of Fardoost and the seniles like Bazargan and Sanjabi and the so called Jebhe Melli who disgraced themselves.From America Berzehenski and through his chief mouth piece Gen Huyser they managed to isolate the late gen Baderi, Naji, Khosrodad, Ovesi and Rabbi.

For those doubting the interests of these traitors, think about this, Fardoost became the Khomenie regimes chief intelligent chief and to endear himself he orderd and masterminded shah's nephews assassination.Khomenie rewarded him for his deeds.

Jun 18, 2005

I think Gharebaghi got a safe passage deal. Notice how he left the country, being the chief of staff and unharmed! Never targeted while abroad or did anything for that matter unlike the other generals who escaped. The series that i saw was such a propaganda piece and to see Gharebaghi being shown the way he was raised some questions for me.

The interesting thing about the movie was how they had alteted the name. So Gharebaghi's character was played by a GhareDaghi. Rabii's character in the same movie came across as pretty reasonable.

I just had not heard anything about firing missiles on Alavi school and thought it was fiction until i ran to some information that Badrei had artillery pointing at Alavi school that made me go hmmm.

parham79

Bench Warmer
Dec 5, 2009
Perham, you have great info here and I would love to hear more. I think Bakhtiar was a great man who thought he could change the history by stopping the Islamic republic from forming. I dont think he would have ever thought that Bazargan and the rest will not join him. I mean it was so clear to much. My dad who was a liberal religious man (but extremly momen) and knew few top akhoonds was told by the Akhoonds themselves several months before the revolution to get your kids out of here as the situation will get horrible. If some of these akhoonds who saw Khamonie take over as a problem, did you not think Bazargan and others were smart enough to see it?

At the sametime, I have heard this said by others and it is extremely possible that it was Bakhtiar's joining Shah and breaking rank with the national front that caused them to weaken and empowered khominie. I dont think it was possible for Bazargan and others to join as it was already way too late.

On can say if Bakhtiar did not join shah -----> Shah might not have left -----> national front would still be strong to negotiate as a whole with shah ------> The government would not have been weakened ------> Military would stay strong.

Hard to tell. Bakhtiar certainly meant well but perhaps his move caused the reverse. At least that is what I have heard from some of the very experts who did not like Shah and hate khominie and Islamic republic.
The most sensible suggestion was made by General Khosrodad and Gen Bagheri to the Shah. Abdicate, let Farah take over the country and the army will restore calm. Running away will not solve the problem.Had Shah stayed those in the national front or the khomenie gang would not have had the balls to stand up to him. The Army was in control and their loyalty to him was unquestioned. Even young conscripts were their to the end till he left. Once he left the whole thing went into shambels.

He should have given power to his wife and declared a constitutional monarchy and that would have taken all the excuses of vehrmens like Sanjabi and Bazargan who were only after revenge and had put the interests of Iran behind their thirst for revenge.In summary noway the army would have abandoned the shah or his wife if he was in the country. Traitors like fardoost would have been shot on the spot.

parham79

Bench Warmer
Dec 5, 2009
I think Gharebaghi got a safe passage deal. Notice how he left the country, being the chief of staff and unharmed! Never targeted while abroad or did anything for that matter unlike the other generals who escaped. The series that i saw was such a propaganda piece and to see Gharebaghi being shown the way he was raised some questions for me.

The interesting thing about the movie was how they had alteted the name. So Gharebaghi's character was played by a GhareDaghi. Rabii's character in the same movie came across as pretty reasonable.

I just had not heard anything about firing missiles on Alavi school and thought it was fiction until i ran to some information that Badrei had artillery pointing at Alavi school that made me go hmmm.
Baderi and Bakhtiyar orderd Rabbi to destroy the alavi school before the weapons were taken into the hands of MKO terroriosts but carters people told rabbi not to because the Shah himself told carter to tell Rabbi not to. Infact there were communicates between husyer and the gharebaghi people to start these kind of propaganda. Tell the ranks and files that the Shah himself had accepted the end of monarchy.Most people don't understand the backstabbing or the amount of it at that time.The level of trust for the Yankees we had was unbeliveble and to an extent shamefull.Offcourse shah had no idea what was going on. He was an old man dying of cancer and preobaly couldn't comprehend or probably didn't want to believe the situation that was unfolding. As for Poor Rabbi,He honestly thought he was taking orders from the Shah via husyer.The level of trust to these day makes me sick we had for these backstabbers.After finding out he badly he was tricked Rabbi said before his execution, the Americans kicked our emperor out like a dead mouse.

Last edited:

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
The most sensible suggestion was made by General Khosrodad and Gen Bagheri to the Shah. Abdicate, let Farah take over the country and the army will restore calm. Running away will not solve the problem.Had Shah stayed those in the national front or the khomenie gang would not have had the balls to stand up to him. The Army was in control and their loyalty to him was unquestioned. Even young conscripts were their to the end till he left. Once he left the whole thing went into shambels.

He should have given power to his wife and declared a constitutional monarchy and that would have taken all the excuses of vehrmens like Sanjabi and Bazargan who were only after revenge and had put the interests of Iran behind their thirst for revenge.In summary noway the army would have abandoned the shah or his wife if he was in the country. Traitors like fardoost would have been shot on the spot.
No wonder they called him the suitcase monarch ....he was a weak man when in crisis , some blame it to his terminal illness but I think he was not the man for hard times .

I read somewhere that either Alibuto or Ziaalhagh of Pakistan met or spoke to him on the phone and adviced him in order to restore calm and divert a disaster sometimes it is necessary to show a brutal hand and crush the opposition in order to save the country ... sacifise a few hundred or thousands to save millions and your nation he said but the shah refused ... same kind of advice came from Oveisi and other high rank generals who had the list of 400 key figures and asked for his permission to arrest them and put an end to all that but again he refused and instead preffared to get advice from British and U.S ambassadors on regular basis !!

As if they had the interst of our nation at heart ...! in the end Gharebaghi and Fardoost (Fardoshman rather !) did what they were ordered to do by their masters in the west and swept the carpet from under poor Bakhtiyar .

Like it or not the shah ran away ,he abandoned ship and left the ship without a captain and from that point there was only one way and that was down to the bottom ...... well he left Bakhtiyar as captain but he couldn't deal with mutiny of high ranking generals who signed the letter and wne t back into barracks . If it wasn't for the phone call from a trusted person who told Bakhtiyar to make a run for it as the army chiefs announcement was about to be aired on radio and TV he would have been either arrested or killed in his own office ! the army did not even bother to tell him about their decision and didn't even answer his phone calls .

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2003
No wonder they called him the suitcase monarch ....he was a weak man when in crisis , some blame it to his terminal illness but I think he was not the man for hard times .

I read somewhere that either Alibuto or Ziaalhagh of Pakistan met or spoke to him on the phone and adviced him in order to restore calm and divert a disaster sometimes it is necessary to show a brutal hand and crush the opposition in order to save the country ... sacifise a few hundred or thousands to save millions and your nation he said but the shah refused ... same kind of advice came from Oveisi and other high rank generals who had the list of 400 key figures and asked for his permission to arrest them and put an end to all that but again he refused and instead preffared to get advice from British and U.S ambassadors on regular basis !!
But had he done so he would've been branded illegitimate both internationally and nationally (like his last 25 years)

Thats the problem with us middle-easterns - when we have a democracy there is a huge probability that Islamists will rise to power and when we have a dictatorship it loses legitimacy due to killing/imprisonment of its opposition regardless of its good work (which the Pahlavis admittedly did plenty of IMO)

I have little hope for the future of countries like ours.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
But had he done so he would've been branded illegitimate both internationally and nationally (like his last 25 years)

Thats the problem with us middle-easterns - when we have a democracy there is a huge probability that Islamists will rise to power and when we have a dictatorship it loses legitimacy due to killing/imprisonment of its opposition regardless of its good work (which the Pahlavis admittedly did plenty of IMO)

I have little hope for the future of countries like ours.
Democracy western style does not work in countries like ours ...it goes back to our own attitude ,generally things are either black or white , love or hate ...all in a matter of few hours ...just like the British weather ...very temperamental !!

the ideal leader or leaders for our neck of wood is a patriot dictator ....some one very cruel when need be and very kind and generous at other times .

Not sure how kind Nader shah was but I know he was very cruel but also very patriotic and he saved Iran from disarray ...same with Reza shah to an extent ... I am not necessarily a monarchist , I am not even into politics and I hate it anyway but I am just a patriot Iranian that wants the best for his country and don't care who the leader is ,what he wears and what his political beliefs are ...as long as he can take Iran to where it belongs ,keep it safe and secure and prosperous ....that is all I care for .