So far 19 Iranian players in European leagues and still counting: A record in Iranian football

Nov 24, 2002
This is excluding Gucci(APOEL) who retired from TM, and i didn't include few players in Polish, Iceland, Turkish 2nd divisions, Norway 2nd division, etc. Also few young prospect such as Delfi which the deal is not officially signed with PSV. and some who play in Qatar, Beitashour who plays in MLS. Now lets hope more make a move to top 5-6 leagues. Already we have two in JB and Saman.

Only two players over the age of 28 in this list(Amiri, Davari):

Keepers:

Amir Abedzadeh, 24(Maritimo, Portugal Primeira), 1 cap
Daniel Davari, 30(Duisburg, Bunedsliga II), 4 caps

Defenders:

Majid Hosseini, 22 (Trabzonspor, Turkey Super Lig), 4 caps, CD
Morteza Pouraliganj, 26 (Trabzonspor, Turkey Super Lig), 30 caps, CD
Mohammad Naderi, 21(Kortijik, Belgium First Division A), 0 cap, LB, CD
Milad Mohammadi, 24 (Akhmat Grozny, Russia Premier League), 21 caps, LB
Sadegh Moharrami, 22(Dinamo Zagreb, Croatia 1st League), 0 cap, RB
Ramin Rezaeian, 28(Oostende, Belgium First Division A), 31 caps, RB

Midfielders:

Ehsan Hajsafi, 28(Olympiacos, Greece Super League), 97 caps, LB, LW, DM
Saeid Ezzatollahi, 21( Rostov, Russia Premier League), 27 caps, DM
Vahid Amiri, 30 (Trabzonspor, Turkey Super Lig), 38 caps, LW
Saman Ghoddos, 24 (Rennes, France Le Championnat), 11 caps, RW, LW, CAM
Alireza Jahanbakhsh 25(Brighton & Hove Albion, English Premier League), 41 caps, RW, LW, CAM
Reza Shekari, 20( Rubin Kazan, Russia Premier League), 0 cap, CAM
Omid Nourafkan, 21(Charleroi, Belgium First Division A), 1 cap, LB, DM
Ali Gholizadeh, 22(Charleroi, Belgium First Division A), 2 caps, RW, LW

Forwards:

Sardar Azmoun, 23( Rubin Kazan, Russian Premier League), 36 caps, TF
Karim Ansarifard, 28( Olympiacos, Greece Super League), 64 caps, TF, RW, LW
Kaveh Rezaei, 26( Charleroi, Belgium First Division A), 9 caps, TF, RW, LW

Last edited:

Azhidahak

Bench Warmer
May 30, 2005
Its by far the most exciting times to be following TM and Iranian players

By the way, dont forget Farshad Ahmadzadeh (Slask Wroclaw, Polish League). Now you reached 20 ;)

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Yeah I would exclud Davari from this list too.

But great list!!!! Specially the defenders are great to see for a change. The right and left back are sealed! 2 center backs and 1 reserve. All in Europe! That is awesome!

Azhidahak

Bench Warmer
May 30, 2005
tbh, i was never his big fan, even when he was in PP :)
Well, I dont follow IPL and Im totally clueless when it comes to Iranian players outside Europe. Its only once our players go to Europe that I start noticing them and following pretty much every game they play. Which btw is starting to get more difficult than ever now that they are so many :D haha

Oct 1, 2004
Farshad was a frustrating player for Persepolis. I am very surprised the Polish club bought him.
However, I have respect for him for going out of his comfort zone to a league that probably pays him very little.

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
Haj Safi and Hossein Kaabi are never supposed to get any older. As if they are always asked to report square root of their actual age.

Nov 24, 2002
Haj Safi and Hossein Kaabi are never supposed to get any older. As if they are always asked to report square root of their actual age.
Hajsafi had his first cap for TM at 18 or 19 if i am not wrong. So he has been around for quite while.

Nov 24, 2002
I would rather have 3 or 4 in teams that mattered like the Daei Hashemian and Mahdavikia time.
Well at the same time we never had more than 3 who would get playing time in top leagues. Now seems it will be the case of both Ghoddos and JB.