Spanish teams in CL

Oct 20, 2002
UAE
None of the 4 Spanish teams won their 1st game in the CL. Notice that none of them faced a superpower team (if we keep in mind Liverpool is suffering this season).

I guess this means that nowadays the Spanish league is not as good as we thought or as we like to believe.

Regarding Real, as I mentioned in a previous post, they played so individually and there was so sign of team work..they reminded me of TM. I was so disappointed.

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
none of the Spanish teams aside from Barca have done anything in the CL for the past few years, more of the same this time around.

vali jooja ro akhare paeez mishmoran

None of the 4 Spanish teams won their 1st game in the CL. Notice that none of them faced a superpower team (if we keep in mind Liverpool is suffering this season).

I guess this means that nowadays the Spanish league is not as good as we thought or as we like to believe.

Regarding Real, as I mentioned in a previous post, they played so individually and there was so sign of team work..they reminded me of TM. I was so disappointed.

None of the Spanish team except Barca is CL material. This is the fact. If we even pass Liverpool then I still doubt we can go any further (Speaking logically) . I hope the loss won’t derail us from the great league form at least. As a matter of fact I think we played nicely as a team escept Robben who were seeking for revenge against the reds

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
none of the Spanish teams aside from Barca have done anything in the CL for the past few years, more of the same this time around.

vali jooja ro akhare paeez mishmoran
yeah exactly. it isnt much to do with quality of the league per se but the fact that English teams have more experience winning/going far in CL now. The only Spanish team that has done well up until recently is Barcelona. Other than that the other teams ie, Real, won the crown or went far was back in 2001. But in general, English teams' high pace game kills Spanish teams. Add the recent good CL record/experience English teams have gained and their success is almost guaranteed.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2002
UAE
None of the Spanish team except Barca is CL material. This is the fact. If we even pass Liverpool then I still doubt we can go any further (Speaking logically) . I hope the loss won’t derail us from the great league form at least. As a matter of fact I think we played nicely as a team escept Robben who were seeking for revenge against the reds
Yes exactly, i hope this loss wont throw us out of the momentum in Laliga.

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
The physicality of the English games is a big factor, but not for the Barca midfield because Xavi, Messi and Iniesta are pretty used to players outweighing them by 50 pounds even in Spain. The only guy who did well for Madrid yesterday was Lass in midfield, they need tougher guys like him in midfield.

Sabzi

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
What are you guys talking about? If I recall correctly a Spanish team won against Real in Bernabeu with a goal by Benayoun.... that team had five spanish players and a spanish coach: Torres, Arbeloa, Xabi Alonso, Riera, Reina and Benitez.

Now compare that to the three Spanish players who started for Real: Casillas, Ramos and Raúl...

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
What are you guys talking about? If I recall correctly a Spanish team won against Real in Bernabeu with a goal by Benayoun.... that team had five spanish players and a spanish coach: Torres, Arbeloa, Xabi Alonso, Riera, Reina and Benitez.

Now compare that to the three Spanish players who started for Real: Casillas, Ramos and Raúl...
yeah...exactly...
Spanish teams didn't do bad....Liverpool won and Barca fielding with Valdes, Puyol, Pique, Busquets and Xavi(would have been 6 with Iniesta) another 5 Spanish players got an away goal. Add to it that Messi, Alves and Eto'o spent all their forming football years in Spain too and all 3 would have been eligible to play for Spain, if they didn't take the other citizenship and Spain did just fine.

So maybe Spanish football is alright, it's just about the players you nurture. :D

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
Sabzi jan, we are talking about teams from La Liga, not Spanish players, obviously Spanish players are creme de la creme of European players.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
It is too early to judge -- let's wait for the return game and then comment --
As far as I know -- all English teams could be eliminated

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
It is too early to judge -- let's wait for the return game and then comment --
As far as I know -- all English teams could be eliminated
very true, juve and Roma are more than capable of beating Chelsea and Arsenal ..
Inter well its 50/50 ... liverpool is most likely the only english team through even then Madrid has the potential to upset them

Sabzi

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Sabzi jan, we are talking about teams from La Liga, not Spanish players, obviously Spanish players are creme de la creme of European players.
I was actually being a bit sarcastic... but Liverpool are, for me, mor a Spanish team at the moment than Real or Atletico...

anyway, the back games are to be played still

shayanm

Bench Warmer
Nov 1, 2006
lets not get ahead of ourselves, the return legs could surprise you all.
well for Real Madrid its now become a tradition to lose in the knockout stages of UCL!!!
Barca have been doing quite good these few years and maybe this is their year!

Villarial and At.Madrid are more than capable of beating olympacos and porto respectively.

But I must say Madrid's journey ends here, what are the chances that they can win at Anfield???very low.

All thanks to the great coach: Benitez who knows the spanish football very well.