spelling of Nowruz!

Oct 18, 2002
here
www.apfn.org
Norooz or NoRouz or if you want to be fancy about it NoeRouz...
No is new and rooz is day so it is not so complicated. lol ;-)

I am not sure about how they did it as NowRooz? Now? it is more like no than now really...
anyway it is my favorite time of year. as the holy Prophet said something like "you can expose your body to the spring's air and get younger as opposed to as in the fall (autumn) when you cannot expose your body to the wind or you get sick and older"...
it is true...so enjoy and go outside and take it all in (now I am not talking about those of you who live in cold places lol)....

YePaDoPa

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2002
I have also spelled it many different ways in the past. However, reading the article it makes sense to stick to Nowruz spelling. If it is too much for you then keep on spelling it whatever way you please!

Oct 1, 2004
For us Iranians it is mostly Norooz. But if you're Tajik or Afghan you pronounce it more like Nowrooz IIRC.

Irani

IPL Player
Oct 19, 2002
Iran (70%), Others (30%)
Thank You YePaDoPa. Happy Nowruz to you and all Iranians. Thanks for this post.

Dr, Yarshater came up with Nowruz spelling in early 1990s (ever since I have used this spelling). I have no problem if people use one or two more other versions but the problem is that . . . if one asks Iranians to write Nowruz . . . . we will get at least twenty different versions. Non-Iranians reading our articles/messages have questioned why we spell Nowruz differently. For the same reason(s) Iranians drive like a manic especially inside Iran (latest example, Ali Daie), they also spell Nowruz differently. If there were no driving penalties, Iranians who live outside of Iran would drive the same way that people inside of Iran drive.

Few days ago, I received Nowruz e-mails both from Dr. Yarshater and Dr. Gharami that your link refers to his reasonings, both mentioned Nowruz. Out of respect for people who have worked on Iran’s heritage for many years (in case of Dr. Yarsharter he is almost 92 years old), I have adopted their wish and… for similar reason I use Persian instead of Farsi for Iranian language written in English.

If Iranians cannot agree on simple issues, they will not succeed in solving bigger problems which we are facing… by posting daily some ISP members think they are helping to change Iran for better whereas they need to learn the basics first by respecting Iran's heritage. Know Heritage, know Iran; no Heritage, no Iran.

Last edited: