Still in shock

Behrang(ISP)

King of Posts
Oct 16, 2002
www.iransportspress.com
Another tournament in Asia comes around and again we are knocked out due to circumstances against our control. How many times will we have to deal with this? What can we do when there is nothing we can do? The feeling is just hopeless. There needs to be a serious debate / discussion about using non-Asian referees for tournaments such as this one. At a minimum you should avoid using referees from countries that the teams playing may face in future rounds. If you don't have enough qualified referees within the confederation bring them from other confederations.

It's going to take a while to get over this one.

Dec 30, 2014
This was a most valiant effort by TM. Yes, we got screwed again, but there is a lot to be proud of:

1- Can this team score? Yes it can. When it needs to.
2- Can they fight back when behind? yes they can.
3- Do they have the fight in them? Yes, after playing 75 minutes with a man down and scoring two goals with 10 men.

I have no doubt that TM was on its way to a comfortable win, if it was not for the idiotic ref. I Cannot believe that he was allowed to ref a game after his horrendous performances. Even if you put his red card decision on Pooladi aside, he was not exactly good for the rest of the game.

There is a lot that this TM can be proud of.

Unfortunately, this will give an excuse for the detractors to come out of the woodwork. Doc Zolfagh is already out blabbing. The rest of the vultures are probably circling right now.

Mehran(ISP)

<b>Administrator</b>
Oct 16, 2002
MD, USA
This is unbelievable. Every Asian Cup there is a referee decision against Iran that's so blatantly wrong it makes you wonder if they've been instructed by AFC. I will never forget the China game 8 years ago when almost the same thing happened. Who can also forget Ali Karimi's one on one that he was hammered down only for the Chinease player to get a yellow. This is a hopeless feeling. It's like playing against 12 players out there. Can we do what Turkey did and join UEAFA. I rather lose to good teams every time than to lose shitty teams like this. 11 on 11 Iran would of scored at least one more. We were manhandling them on every side of the field. Dejagha was having his way with that kid on the right.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Guys this was a heartbreaking loss! but try to see everything from the bright side. If I recall our usual mentality correctly, every time we do well in a tournament, we consider the next one as a piece of cake and end up suffering because of overconfidence. I rather want the tournament we do well in to be the WCQ games than the AC! This loss will just make us stronger and certainly hungrier in the WCQ games.

Ali N.

Aug 3, 2004
Sorry to say we only have to blame ourselves for this loss... Ok, the ref. was bad, but why one of our best defenders had to commit 2 unnecessary fouls when he knew (or should have known) how crucial this game was... I think we need to think deeper into this mental issue (or collapse if you'd like to put it) rather than blame AFC and referees everytime! What have we learned from the past?

tajrish

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, California
Sorry to say we only have to blame ourselves for this loss... Ok, the ref. was bad, but why one of our best defenders had to commit 2 unnecessary fouls when he knew (or should have known) how crucial this game was... I think we need to think deeper into this mental issue (or collapse if you'd like to put it) rather than blame AFC and referees everytime! What have we learned from the past?
Committing foul and committing bookable fouls are two different things and none of what Fouladi did on the pitch would be considered bookable offense by any half-decent Indian second league referees, let alone a top-notch FIFA referee officiating in a continental championship tournament.

Behrang(ISP)

King of Posts
Oct 16, 2002
www.iransportspress.com
Committing foul and committing bookable fouls are two different things and none of what Fouladi did on the pitch would be considered bookable offense by any half-decent Indian second league referees, let alone a top-notch FIFA referee officiating in a continental championship tournament.
That's the thing. What you said is spot on. The first yellow he gave Pooladi was extremely questionable. Yes it was a foul but a yellow? The second yellow was a joke. No professional Ref would give a yellow there. He would talk to the player and say get up and get going. We don't have time for BS. If it happens again you will be shown a second yellow.

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
Sorry to say we only have to blame ourselves for this loss... Ok, the ref. was bad, but why one of our best defenders had to commit 2 unnecessary fouls ..............
You might have missed this, it's all over ISP, please watch the clip!
Pouladi is not to blame, let the poor guy alone!
[video]http://www.news.com.au/video/id-RhbGV4cjr816Cp7As2TbgCVCEogk5D5D/Referee-Ben-Williams'-'embarrassing'-decision[/video]

tajrish

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, California
I have a feeling that regardless of Fouladi's fouls, he was in a mood to send one of our players off the pitch.
In the second minute of the game, Iraqi's last man stopped Azmoun by grabbing the ball. He was the last man. He should have been sent off. The same player committed an even harsher foul in the second half without being booked, as the referee knew that he already had a yellow.

Meehandoost

Bench Warmer
Sep 4, 2005
The foul on Azmoun and also the foul on Dejagah which resulted in the goal was worthy of a yellow card, because it was a harsh tackle that may have caused injury. That in FIFA's book is worthy of yellow card. A fair referee would play the advantage, but then go back and yellow card the offender. Williams was on a mission to hurt Iran. He is a vindictive SMALL man who should never be a referee in an international game again...still shocking and shameful...I was very proud of the Iranian players to keep coming back though and were unlucky to still not win the game. They are the Germany of Asia, well done guys!

Ali N.

Aug 3, 2004
You might have missed this, it's all over ISP, please watch the clip!
Pouladi is not to blame, let the poor guy alone!
[video]http://www.news.com.au/video/id-RhbGV4cjr816Cp7As2TbgCVCEogk5D5D/Referee-Ben-Williams'-'embarrassing'-decision[/video]
We have seen this over and over and have been always blaming refs or AFC for the past 30 years... I am not saying they are faultless! I am asking what have we learnt in the past 30 years? We keep doing the same mistakes over and over... Are we going to do something about them or keep doing the same thing over and over?

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Guys this was a heartbreaking loss! but try to see everything from the bright side. If I recall our usual mentality correctly, every time we do well in a tournament, we consider the next one as a piece of cake and end up suffering because of overconfidence. I rather want the tournament we do well in to be the WCQ games than the AC! This loss will just make us stronger and certainly hungrier in the WCQ games.
That is true. The kids on PFDC were already discussing how to beat SK for the 4th time like Iraq was a given.