Stock/commodities Discussion

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Those of you who buy individual stocks should look at profiting off the refinance boom that started a few months ago due to all time low rates. I bought a few title companies and mortgage banker and mortgage servicers stocks and all are up big time except for one of them. Check them out & do your homework:
Title companies make a good profit with a decent margin. The mortgage companies and servicers also will make good money but early payoffs will hurt their margins. There is 11 trillion in mortgages that would benefit by refinancing and only 1 trillion already refinanced So 10 trillion left they will make a killing while rates are low.
Title companies
STC
FAF
FNF

Mortgage companies and servicers
COOP (might me overpriced now)
PMT
CFG
NRZ (only one I haven't made money on yet)

One of the big ETF companies should start an ETF (REFI)

Hooshmand

Elite Member
Oct 12, 2011
UK
BT any idea whats gonna happen to NYSE Stock Market in a near future are we gonna have another crash before the election?
Its been a bloodbath since July13th, I just wonder how long its going to last?

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
whats gonna happen to NYSE Stock Market in a near future
if anybody knows for sure, they should their house, car, ... lever up three times. and either go long or short the market.

if we ain't doing that, we don't really know for sure. my guess the Fed Put will keep the market where it is for a while.

whole of bunch solar stocks and might go up for no reason based on speculation that a possible new administration might help them out.

Last edited:
BT any idea whats gonna happen to NYSE Stock Market in a near future are we gonna have another crash before the election?
Its been a bloodbath since July13th, I just wonder how long its going to last?
Near future is anyone's guess. There's no doubt this year and next year are going to be roller-coasters. For parking money purposes lately I've been picking up low volatility utilities ETFs with decent dividends. They're pretty much sure bets against recessions in the long run. People are not going to stop using electricity, gas, water, internet or phones.

As far as new growth opportunities go, there is only one right now. Everything looks overvalued except energy stocks. But energy stocks are such risky assholes I'm always reluctant to add to my positions.

Regardless, holding S&P 500 is a wise idea in the long run. Skip the day-to-day volatility and just keep adding to your position on a regular basis. 20 years from now, the only regret you're going to have is why you didn't start sooner.

Hooshmand

Elite Member
Oct 12, 2011
UK
Near future is anyone's guess. There's no doubt this year and next year are going to be roller-coasters. For parking money purposes lately I've been picking up low volatility utilities ETFs with decent dividends. They're pretty much sure bets against recessions in the long run. People are not going to stop using electricity, gas, water, internet or phones.

As far as new growth opportunities go, there is only one right now. Everything looks overvalued except energy stocks. But energy stocks are such risky assholes I'm always reluctant to add to my positions.

Regardless, holding S&P 500 is a wise idea in the long run. Skip the day-to-day volatility and just keep adding to your position on a regular basis. 20 years from now, the only regret you're going to have is why you didn't start sooner.
Wise words BT jan

Oct 18, 2010
today we saw a historic changing of the guards
in the cpu industry.for the first time in a very very
very long time amd is selling at a higher price per
share than intel.

AMD

69.40 +9.83 +16.50%

INTC

50.59 -9.81 -16.24%

today we saw a historic changing of the guards
in the cpu industry.for the first time in a very very
very long time amd is selling at a higher price per
share than intel.

AMD

69.40 +9.83 +16.50%

INTC

50.59 -9.81 -16.24%
Intel has been riding the comfort-ride far too long while AMD has tried very hard to keep up while actually innovating. Momentum was always on AMD's side. I expect the trend to continue.

Oct 18, 2010
it's a little more complicated.
this is an end to american domination of the chip
manufacturing industry as described below.
another reason why iran is betting on china :p

Intel ‘Stunning Failure’ Heralds End of Era for U.S. Chip Sector

“With the latest push out of process technology, we believe that Intel has zero-to-no chance of catching or surpassing TSMC at least for the next half decade, if not ever,” Susquehanna analyst Chris Rolland wrote in a research note. He thinks Intel should sell its plants to TSMC, although he says that’s unlikely.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/intel-stunning-failure-heralds-end-030711424.html

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
AMD's innovation and accomplishment is definitely amazing in the last 5 years and specially with the new Ryzen processors for server , desktop and laptop market.
However, for a person who is following tech for the last 25 years or so, don't ever count Intel out, they always come back somehow

Hooshmand

Elite Member
Oct 12, 2011
UK
AMD's innovation and accomplishment is definitely amazing in the last 5 years and specially with the new Ryzen processors for server , desktop and laptop market.
However, for a person who is following tech for the last 25 years or so, don't ever count Intel out, they always come back somehow
Whats your thoughts on TSM?

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Whats your thoughts on TSM?
I think TSMC has been steadily improving and right now is the #1
Intel used to be ahead of TSMC at least 1 generation but now it is behind, however, TSMC is a contractor but Intel has a more focus.
This is about computing industry, you can't slack off and always have to generate better and faster and nobody will credit you
for past accomplishments.
In the same industry news, Nvidia is supposedly buying ARM which is a big game changer in this industry.

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
iran's tse broke the 2m point level earlier in the week.
are we all living in a bubble :p

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...high-as-analysts-warn-of-bubble-idUSKBN24Y08O
Still not keeping up with inflation. I haven't tried to get my money out myself (I wrote it off a long time ago), but people are complaining it's taking 60-90 days to get money out of brokers. That translates to a loss of 20-30% considering the insane inflation in Iran.

Some brokers are refusing to release funds in one transaction.

You should ask your dad to loan you some money so you can convert it to Rial at 4200 Toman per dollar at the airport and then invest it in the Tehran Stock Exchange. By the time you've moved to Iran to "do something with your life", you'll have it made.

Oct 18, 2010
i got enough money invested already.
selling and moving into other securities is not an issue.
never tried to cash out so not sure about the 90 day delay.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
For those interested RKT is out today.

In America today, there are about $11.5 trillion in outstanding mortgages. Since the pandemic hit in March we have probably refinanced about $1-ish trillion total (annualized run rate at $3 trillion/yr). That means we only have another $10.5 trillion in loans that have not been touched.

In the year 2018, the entire mortgage industry produced $2.39 trillion….TOTAL

OH, and every year we add about $1.5 trillion in new purchase loans.

AND, combine this with massive demographic/lifestyle shifts which will fuel the purchase market for years.

With property values rising in many areas, additional untapped equity is opening up. Check out this stat:

• "Tappable equity rose by 8% year-over-year in the first quarter of 2020 to a record high of $6.5 trillion," said Graboske. "What's more, with mortgage interest rates hitting record lows, 90% of homeowners with tappable equity now have first lien rates above the prevailing market average.Jul 6, 2020.(Ref: Black Knight)