Stock/commodities Discussion

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
Either they're propping the market for a Jan run or it's really doomed.. anything can spark it though as they could short sell and recover late January or so when the shit does really hit the fan.

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
Bear markets don't last. Always stay vested and add more during bear/down markets.
while one may be forced to hold position, adding to it can be moronic;
bear markets rarely provide suitable points of entry. This is because it is almost impossible to determine a bear market's bottom. Trying to recoup losses can be an uphill battle, unless investors are short sellers or use other strategies to make gains in falling markets. Between 1900 and 2015, there were 32 bear markets, averaging one every 3.5 years. The last bear market coincided with the global financial crisis occurring between October 2007 and March 2009, during which time the DJIA declined 54 percent during the period.

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
while you're hacking a chart ; Indian Government's New Regulations: A Massive Blow For Amazon

Indian Government has issued a policy document providing clarity on Foreign Direct Investment rules in e-commerce which prohibits foreign e-commerce companies from following an inventory based model in India.

Amazon never had permission to follow an inventory based model in India but was bypassing certain rules citing lack of clarity.

After Indian Government’s clarification there is no ambiguity.

Amazon will have to wind down sales from some of its bigger vendors like Cloudtail India which contributes over ~$1 bn in Gross Merchandise Value.

from 10k report, Amazon has mentioned its ownership of indirect interests in third-party Indian sellers in its risk factors.

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
Well the Amazon caller never showed up with the chart supporting its buy call , but many charts I have seen point toward $1200 area.

Russia has bought quarter of Yuan reserves, they're selling their dollar, wonder what the immediate effects on dollar might it cause.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...an-euro-holdings-as-it-dumped-dollars-in-2018

Russia’s central bank dumped $101 billion in U.S. holdings from its huge reserves, shifting into euros and yuan last spring amid a new round of U.S. sanctions.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...an-euro-holdings-as-it-dumped-dollars-in-2018
Yields were higher on the yuan holdings, at 3.2 percent versus 0.35 percent for dollar assets.

I am not up to date as how the sanctions is affecting Russia and dollar payments/dollar holdings as Putin claim dollar is not liking them.

I wonder who they buy this much Yuan from ? China most likely.

Oct 18, 2010
with pot being legalized in more and more states there are some
pharma companies who are using pot as an ingredient for their drugs.
some have been performing well in the last year or so and should
continue to do so.here is a quick list.

damn it nosedived from your suggestion for 180 points, are you just saying this to hold face? granted it bounced but can you show me on a chart why it is a buy? and not just a hunch? thx
You seem to forget how equity markets work. You don't get rewarded for staying out. You only get rewarded for staying in.
When you have decided you want "in" on a stock or ETF, there's no reason to go with a "hunch" or charts. You simply invest(on a regular basis). What happens on a crappy December afternoon should only matter if you're cashing out on that particular day, otherwise it's a total nonevent or an actual buying opportunity.

Why a stock may be a "buy" or "sell" is completely different for every individual. For example, Amazon, even at its current price is a mega buying opportunity considering what it can and should be in 20 years. For shorter investment outlooks it's a hold. My original comment about December lows being a fantastic buying opportunity was indeed my personal view which turned out to be absolutely true. I was not trying to save face. I was trying to express my delight at a dip in a market that I wanted to invest more money in.

While you were busy posting comments and links here during that period warning me about karma or asking for charts, I made minimal adjustments to my portfolio weightings and invested a few thousand dollars in some ETFs that I thought had dipped beyond reason. I had no idea what the future may hold, but I gave myself the opportunity to get rewarded in case the market bounced back. The rewards have been in line with what I was hoping (some of them more, some of them less).

I don't pick individual stocks btw. I'm not knowledgeable enough about individual companies to risk my money like that. ETFs give me the chance to own those stocks with reasonable diversity.

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
There are many methods of investing and more seasoned investor use charts or number or both..but charts and ignoring the news is how I would protect myself in cases and momo in others.

Amazing that Amazon has legs but to me without studying its numbers i feel its is hype meaning a bad piece of news can press it badly .i have been wrong many times in assessing stocks like this one with this much momentum.

Fairly shitty IPO day for Uber as it trades more than 7% below its IPO price.

They were arrogant enough to state "the company may never turn profitable"! LOL! The level of arrogance among some Silicon Valley talking heads has gone beyond mad.

I actually think long-term Uber may do investors some good, but the lack of transparency is just unacceptable to smart-money these days. It took Amazon 20 years to become a darling. It survived two massive crashes in 2001 and 2008. These new IPOs expecting to be treated like the next Amazon are quite delusional.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I have no idea who will win the war
Uber, Lyft, Waymo, Tesla ...
But i know self driving will put many people out of a job.
it will create massive dislocation in the labor market.
so somebody has to win.

might be safe to own all 4 since we don't have enough expertise to decide which one might have an edge.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I had a order in today. did not get executed.

the way i think about it.

Three companies have a headstart on Autonomous driving.

Google, Uber and Tesla.

I am gone try to own all three. because i have no idea which one is gone do well.

Seems like when it comes to autonomous driving, instead of beating the competition to market, the major players are trying to stay 2 steps behind the competition to avoid the inevitable shaming and defeat that naturally follows the first few incidents.

I don't think the delay we've faced so far is all about advancing the technology. It's more about increasing the public and insurance industry's tolerance towards autonomous accidents.

BTW, can collisions involving autonomously driven vehicles really be called "accident"s?