Stock/commodities Discussion

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
We might see north of $300 post earnings.
don't think about trading tesla.
you will eventually get burned big.

if you believe that their are years ahead of everybody else and in the event of capital shortage
Elon has plenty of contacts to do a capital influsion.

then just go ahead and own and dont touch it for years.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005

if you believe that their are years ahead of everybody else and in the event of capital shortage

I wish I could do that. There are only a handful of stocks I own for over 10/20 years. The rest I trade. I bought at $210 and will probably sell at $300 and then hopefully buy again under $200. It fixes my gambling habit without going out all night in smoke filled rooms.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I wish I could do that. There are only a handful of stocks I own for over 10/20 years. The rest I trade. I bought at $210 and will probably sell at $300 and then hopefully buy again under $200. It fixes my gambling habit without going out all night in smoke filled rooms.
TESLA will soon begin the Model Y line. there will be a ton of issues again. (although not as bad before)

There will be considerable number of warranty costs and with bigger fleet wallstreet will start focusing in on it.

I don't think there will be a lot of good news coming this any more.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
bad news on Tesla finally dropped.

JB Straubel who was a candidate to step in for Elon if anything were to happen to him basically retired from the company.

What the fuck happened to Yahoo Finance? I used to enjoy some of their pundits and the grown-ups who used to discuss stocks. Now they've turned into a fucking democrat channel with these 20-something year old stock analysts!

What the hell does a 22 year old know about stocks and investing?! When I was 22 I used to hate banks and thought McDonald's would go bankrupt in a year.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005

I got out at $350. Now it is at $360. I think it is at its top.

Unbelievable bull market. I don't think anyone understands what's going on. Days and days of consecutive record breaking.

Dow at almost 29000. S&P kicks through 3200 with ease.

I personally believe this has a lot to do with all currencies losing their relative values (inflation and expectation of inflation). Due to extremely easy credit and low interest rates, people and companies just don't value cash anymore. You can see a very clear example of an extreme case of this in Iran. Cash means so little, even expensive stuff like cars, junk stock and stagnating gold have become people's currency.

Wall street has successfully pitched itself as a viable currency thanks to more than a decade of pretty much continious growth.

As always many people will lose and some people will win.

Selling is merited for some individual stocks, but in general, sell and do what? Everything else is at record prices. It's not just equities that have gained against currencies. Everything has.

And it's not like Central banks can do much about it. As soon as they even think about tightening their policies everything starts breaking.

Eventually this near-zero interest period will have to come to an end, but I think we're a long time away from that, so don't sell, but buy on dips.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Bache Tehron- You bring up a valid point and yes the near zero interest period will come to an end. They have to raise the rates sooner or later. I would recommend, since everything is up right now and I always say diversify your portfolio, invest in an S&P 500. Fitch and Moodys are good you might want to look into them. I would stay away from investing in a few stocks. For investment property use the 10% rule
Quick Tip: Divide your annual rental income by the purchase price: if this is greater than 10% (0.1) it should be a solid investment

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Quick Tip: Divide your annual rental income by the purchase price: if this is greater than 10% (0.1) it should be a solid investment
who on earth is achieving a 10% rental return? (excluding possible appreciation in property prices)?

the mean value is around 4.5% if you are doing 5%-5.5% you are beating the market big time.

the trick in rental is normally to for scale. at low scale, it doesn't really look that appealing.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I did with my rental property. In 2015 years ago in Las Vegas I bought a $250,000 fourplex for rental income. That property now had over a 50% increase in value in those four years, it si now worth $375,000. Instead of charging $600 a month for four two bedrooms, i can now charge $800 a month. I am getting an extra $800 a month on rentals and a property value increase of $125,000. The home I got for 300,000 that i live in is worth 450,000.
Of course you only make money if you have a second property you don't make money off first. Also, yes in the stock market if you are getting a 4.5% rate of return, like on an S&P 500, that is really good growth. Real Estate has more rapid growth. In fact if you don't get at least 50% after 7 years or 7% rate of return, your property is not giving you a good return on investment. I can speak on this I have an MBA and I advise people to not put their eggs in one basekt. Invest in the S&P500, some commodities, have six months of your annual salary saved up before you invest and invest in income property, this formula worked for me.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I did with my rental property. In 2015 years ago in Las Vegas I bought a $250,000 fourplex for rental income. That property now had over a 50% increase in value in those four years, it si now worth $375,000. Instead of charging $600 a month for four two bedrooms, i can now charge $800 a month. I am getting an extra $800 a month on rentals and a property value increase of $125,000. The home I got for 300,000 that i live in is worth 450,000.
Of course you only make money if you have a second property you don't make money off first. Also, yes in the stock market if you are getting a 4.5% rate of return, like on an S&P 500, that is really good growth. Real Estate has more rapid growth. In fact if you don't get at least 50% after 7 years or 7% rate of return, your property is not giving you a good return on investment. I can speak on this I have an MBA and I advise people to not put their eggs in one basekt. Invest in the S&P500, some commodities, have six months of your annual salary saved up before you invest and invest in income property, this formula worked for me.
I would likes to see all your math. maintenance vacancies, taxes, insurance. cleaning fees. attorney fees.