Stock/commodities Discussion

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
So guys i was thinking in a few months to start investing $200-300 a month in the stock market in
crypto currency like BTO and few other stocks like idk maybe amazon apple energy S&P what
are some stocks that you recommend

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
So I don't lose my shirt what strategy would people recommend for
someone who has enough to invest perhaps $200 to start maybe $300-400 later on.
Again are S&P energy stocks any good or any guidance would be appreciated.

So I don't lose my shirt what strategy would people recommend for
someone who has enough to invest perhaps $200 to start maybe $300-400 later on.
Again are S&P energy stocks any good or any guidance would be appreciated.
Just open a self-directed investment account with any institution and keep depositing those monthly $200-300 as cash. Once you have about $1000 (every 3 months or so) simply buy VOO or VTI. If there are no trading fees, do it with every deposit instead of every 3 months.

Do this for 30 years and you'll have a good chunk of money.

If someone had started with nothing and paid $300/month into VOO since 1990, they would have more than $500K right now, having only invested $109K of their own money.

But the beauty of compounding truly starts to show in the 4th decade. That's when shit gets real for smart/consistent investors.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Just open a self-directed investment account with any institution and keep depositing those monthly $200-300 as cash. Once you have about $1000 (every 3 months or so) simply buy VOO or VTI. If there are no trading fees, do it with every deposit instead of every 3 months.

Do this for 30 years and you'll have a good chunk of money.

If someone had started with nothing and paid $300/month into VOO since 1990, they would have more than $500K right now, having only invested $109K of their own money.

But the beauty of compounding truly starts to show in the 4th decade. That's when shit gets real for smart/consistent investors.
I would be dead in the 4th decade -- any faster solution please :D

I would be dead in the 4th decade -- any faster solution please :D
It's doable, but anything shorter than 20 years and you lose out on the compounding effect.

Instead of $300/month, deposit at least $1000 (or more) and have more exposure to riskier high-growth sectors like tech. It hasn't been difficult to get a decent return over the last 30 years.

I honestly don't understand parents who do not start investing as soon as their baby is born. It's the easiest way of guaranteeing their retirement. Their child doesn't even have to know it. It can all be automated.

Here's something to ponder:

If the parents of a child born in 1960 had invested a mere $50/month in S&P as soon has he was born and had ensured this investment had continued until today, their child could retire right now with a nice $2,318,000 balance. The parents would have only invested $35900 of their own money (yes only 35 grand). I know people who do this and I've known people whose parents did exactly that when they were very young. This is how parents should be helping their children, not by encouraging them to go $200K-$300K in debt for a meaningless degree.

I wouldn't call it dead. Bitcoin is @ ~8733.28 as I am typing...
Bitcoin is not an investment. It's a bet. Quite a shallow one too. It's based on a definition, not an actual human need. I hold some myself just for the fuck of it (lost a few thousand gambling on mining)

Though investing in stocks or real-estate does indeed stimulate our speculative nature (gambling), it's not in the same category as cryptocurrencies.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
@Bache Tehroon I hear what you are saying one thing my parents started doing is invest in gold coins back in the 80s, when it was
$400 an oz, every year for my birthday today it is $1,771
So That gold that i have is probably estimated at $80-000, 100,000, saved for a rainy day.

As for you and @Pooya I believe rather than spending $300 a month ill wait for $1,000 and either invest in some
VOO and looking at VTI
I learned about E.T.F
An exchange-traded fund (ETF) is a type of security that involves a collection of securities—such as stocks—that often tracks an underlying index, although they can invest in any number of industry sectors or use various strategies. ETFs are in many ways similar to mutual funds; however, they are listed on exchanges and ETF shares trade throughout the day just like ordinary stock.
So question Pooya jan is this VOO Vanguard S&) i know ETF but is it more energy based?
Seems like in Q1 it blew the competition. I will save $1,000 and buy about what 4 shares to start rather than $200-300. I can wait 30 years
I"m 38 so that will put me at 68, retirement time
Meci dude i'm doing my homework
https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/voo
Currently sitting at $267.00 a share so if i get little over $1,000 i can start with 4 shares, perhaps TD Ameritrade
i believe it is $7 a share to buy online there, which is NOTHING.

Pay attention to the name of the people who you should be addressing and stop typing so much for once. What's the need for so much babbling?

Yes, save $1000+ and buy 4+ shares of VOO every so often. It's not $7/share. It's $7/trade, so you only pay $7 for buying 4(or more) shares at once.

You cannot analyze ETFs like VOO and determine a 'good' price for them. They're index funds and their price is the price of the entire sector they cover. VOO grows and declines with the economy.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I have not agreed on much with BT lately, but this is the time.
I would kno becuase I have lost a lot of money on stocks (made some too)

but if you choose stocks as your investment vehicle and you are novice (99.9% count as that)
start with low cost ETFs. VOO, SPY are the two famous ones (SPY has more liquidity but the fee is slightly higher)

when you become better (having done more research, seen more ups and downs)

you can explore more fancy ETFs things like VGK, XLE, XBI, PIN.

notice even ETFs fees vary a lot. specially if it is a low volume one.

All of that said, i do not recommend investing in stocks if you can not stand the ups and downs and you are gone constantly have anxiety about it.

It might be better for you to start with some kind of rental property that you can afford and once you have some security enter the stock market or bond market or whatever.

What ever you do never ever short a stock. shorting stocks is hard even for the best of them.

stay away from the future market (It is too complicated).

again these are things are relevant to most people. if you are a guy who has 20,000 bloomberg terminal. you are probably not reading this thread.

the Stock market can be rewarding if you let the law large numbers play. overtime you have gone have Amazons that pull up your profile and you are gone have shitty things Transocean that drag your portfolio down. you just hope you have more winners.

if you are super young and you don't mind to be speculative about bio-tech, i would definitely look at XBI

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
@Bache Tehroon Ok no more babbling and thank you to Pooya and you.
Ok so every so often i buy 4 shares of VOO at $7 one time not 7 x 4
When i get another $1000 i do another 4 shares. I believe Pooya jan mentioned VTI
thoughts? So you can't analyze VOO like ETF it is pending on the market.
I can just keep it simple and do $1,000 4 shares at VOO and maybe later on a couple on VTI.
CM jan- ill look into ETFs things like VGK, XLE, XBI, PIN. I also agree if you can't deal with ups and downs
well it's the stock market, that is to be expected.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
@Bache Tehroon OK here is the game plan no VTF or any ETF's C.M jan mentioned.
Best case end of this year $2,000 8 shares of VOO worst case $1,000 4 shares
BY end of 2021 $4,000 more or 16 shares so by end of 2021 20-24 shares about $5-6,000.
Good start ok and no crypto Pooya mentioned it's dead roger that. Good formula and thank you.

Last edited: